Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonda View Post
Thank you. I thought I could find my own way in this place...... I don't think that person will help me free, because that website is similar to eBay or Amazon. It's a shopping website. He makes money by selling activation code that activates the system.
I wish you the best of luck.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Sorry, this strange word appears because I used the translator.It is “刷机”,this word here means' make Kindle possible to use the Android system'"
Then the word depends on the context in which it is used.
Machine translation fails for words that depend on the context.

I think when I read "brush" it means whatever would be appropriate.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, I using Google translation to read what you mean.So maybe I understand what you mean by some mistake……
Brush——It is Google translate: 刷机. I don't know what is 刷机's correct translation…I only know in my language, we always use this word on mobile phone…For example, Samsung mobile phone 刷机 to MIUI,then we can use MIUI on Samsung…

?And I don't understand the latter, as if to tell me that his behavior does not conform to the rules, but for some reason you can not restrain him?

Because my English is really bad, if what I say offends you or rude to you, please forgive me, because I didn't mean it.
When we read that word, we just translate it in our mind to fit the context.

It is alright to talk or write about the person's project.
He will just not share with us the details.
We do not agree with that.
Everything we do here is shared with everyone that cares to read.

I keep the sentences short for the machine translation.
I do not mean any insult.

Quote:
Thank you. I thought I could find my own way in this place...... I don't think that person will help me free, because that website is similar to eBay or Amazon. It's a shopping website. He makes money by selling activation code that activates the system.
That is what we do not agree with.

The people here could take apart his system just like we take apart any other system.
There just is not enough interest to do the work.

Many things have been done here that no one is interested in using.
Android on e-ink Kindles would just be another one that few people would use.

The end of our calendar year is a time when business introduces new devices.
This may be the year that Amazon introduces Android on e-ink Kindles.

If they do not, then we can think again about introducing it at this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I've looked at the page, and it looks like it is a pretty straightforward instructions.

- - - -

knc1, remind me, mmcblk0boot0 is where uboot is, right?

It looks like the package he has replaces uboot ( whatever is in mmcblk0boot0 ), and then sets up some sort of fastboot to flash the real stuff.
I have not looked at the page.
But we did get some details out of him when he first announced it here.

What you write sounds very much like what he first described.
In fact, it is very much like what he asked for help and advice doing.
We where even helping him until it became clear he was not going to release his changes to the public.

- - - - -

I am not sure what part the mmcblk0bootX partitions have to do with the system.
My backup script just copies them like it copies some of the other mystery storage areas.

The script does not find and make a backup of u-boot.
At least not yet.
I did not consider it highly important to go looking for where it is stored, since the Amazon update packages contain the current u-boot binary.

That was a feature I intended to add in a future version of the script.
(when, if ever, I get time to work on it again.)

= = = = =

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
Hmm....
Twenty-two downloads.
As much as it is a technically a "good thing" it looks like it was another waste of time project.
(Other than I use it myself.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-20-2017 at 09:40 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #18
Zonda
Zonda doesn't litterZonda doesn't litterZonda doesn't litter

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am not understanding what you mean by brush. Can you please put that sentence in the language you read it in so I can run it through a translator?

Please tell me you didn't pay much for that code.
The part of the video I saw looked like he was just using text to speech, not playing a video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Then the word depends on the context in which it is used.
Machine translation fails for words that depend on the context.

I think when I read "brush" it means whatever would be appropriate.

When we read that word, we just translate it in our mind to fit the context.

It is alright to talk or write about the person's project.
He will just not share with us the details.
We do not agree with that.
Everything we do here is shared with everyone that cares to read.

I keep the sentences short for the machine translation.
I do not mean any insult.

That is what we do not agree with.

The people here could take apart his system just like we take apart any other system.
There just is not enough interest to do the work.

Many things have been done here that no one is interested in using.
Android on e-ink Kindles would just be another one that few people would use.

The end of our calendar year is a time when business introduces new devices.
This may be the year that Amazon introduces Android on e-ink Kindles.

If they do not, then we can think again about introducing it at this site.

I have not looked at the page.
But we did get some details out of him when he first announced it here.

What you write sounds very much like what he first described.
In fact, it is very much like what he asked for help and advice doing.
We where even helping him until it became clear he was not going to release his changes to the public.

- - - - -

I am not sure what part the mmcblk0bootX partitions have to do with the system.
My backup script just copies them like it copies some of the other mystery storage areas.

The script does not find and make a backup of u-boot.
At least not yet.
I did not consider it highly important to go looking for where it is stored, since the Amazon update packages contain the current u-boot binary.

That was a feature I intended to add in a future version of the script.
(when, if ever, I get time to work on it again.)

= = = = =

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
Hmm....
Twenty-two downloads.
As much as it is a technically a "good thing" it looks like it was another waste of time project.
(Other than I use it myself.)
Thank you for your reply.Because the android is more free to me, it is more suitable for my use, so I think I should continue to wait.Whether it is the new model of the Amazon, or the other.
Thank you very much for this!?
Zonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.Because the android is more free to me, it is more suitable for my use, so I think I should continue to wait.Whether it is the new model of the Amazon, or the other.
Thank you very much for this!?
If Amazon does it, then expect it to be as closed as they can make it.

If a group of developers here do it, then you can expect it to be as open as possible.

The wait should not be much longer.
Amazon has announced a new tablet just a few days ago.
And its price is very much like that of an e-ink Kindle, so they are already competing with themselves.

- - - - -

What users expect in an Android device these days requires higher speed hardware, 4 cores and 4 times the ram that the e-ink Kindles have.
So a new hardware design would be the best way to make the device, not just add Android to an existing device.

Or maybe a very light weight build of Android.
Just enough so they could advertise that they have Android on e-ink without ruining the battery lifetime.

Last edited by knc1; 09-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #20
Jiang Yuhan
Connoisseur
Jiang Yuhan began at the beginning.

Device: New Kindle(558)
@Zonda Does it support new kindle (558)?
Jiang Yuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #21
doctoralvarez
Connoisseur
doctoralvarez began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Information

Quote:
I found a Android Kindle system on Taobao in China. From videos,I can even watch movies with Kindle! The owner gave the tutorial and sold the activation code. I tried to find ways to avoid activating the code in the forums, but probably because my English was poor or I didn't know the reason for the layout of the forum, I didn't find it. If that's the way, could you tell me?
Here is the owner's statement and the video about the effect of the brush:

I did the global eink optimization for Kindle Android, there are a variety of refresh mode, no flash screen, no drag picture. Global bleach, adjustable font contrast, so that Android app in Kindle to achieve white background black words. Can the native + Android dual system.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU5MzkyMjY0OA

The owner said that all 5.8.7 below Kindle can brush themselves, other versions of Kindle need to jailbreak, or disassemble the machine and then brush the machine.

http://kdroid.net
Hello Zonda could you give more information, taobao page, the guy who made you the sale, email, web page, etc any links other than kdroid.net. ??
doctoralvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:05 AM   #22
ecc29
ecc29 doesn't litterecc29 doesn't litterecc29 doesn't litter

Device: KPW3
The details for the firmware installation steps start from this page:

http://182.254.232.41/download/andro...%e9%aa%a4.html

You will need google translate to follow the links. It looks like they are using the jailbreak method from here.
ecc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #23
Zonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang Yuhan View Post
@Zonda Does it support new kindle (558)?
I think yes
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #24
Zonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoralvarez View Post
Hello Zonda could you give more information, taobao page, the guy who made you the sale, email, web page, etc any links other than kdroid.net. ??
I don't know…sorry.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #25
Zonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoralvarez View Post
I only know the taobao page…
Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc29 View Post
The details for the firmware installation steps start from this page:

http://182.254.232.41/download/andro...%e9%aa%a4.html

You will need google translate to follow the links. It looks like they are using the jailbreak method from here.
Installation steps (only), yes.
Home page:
http://182.254.232.41/

And once again, you notice Chinese habit of giving generous credit to the people who actually did the work.

There is a fair amount of NiLuJe's work that has been re-typed.
Someone cleaned up his "bridge" code nicely, but clearly shows it was done by someone who did not understand what they where re-typing.
The only thing original about it that I see is how they launch the u-boot stolen from 5.7.4

A KUAL menu entry to boot Android - well, that menu entry is original.
And at least they included Android/KOreader in their build, so it isn't useless.

The first thing, the only thing, that comes to the mind of the Chinese developers: 剽窃

I don't think the Chinese would know what an original idea of their own was even if it bit them on their a.. .

= = = = =

The developer's policy here continues:
No credit
No sources
No support

Last edited by knc1; 10-04-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Installation steps (only), yes.
Home page:
http://182.254.232.41/

And once again, you notice Chinese habit of giving generous credit to the people who actually did the work.

There is a fair amount of NiLuJe's work that has been re-typed.
Someone cleaned up his "bridge" code nicely, but clearly shows it was done by someone who did not understand what they where re-typing.
The only thing original about it that I see is how they launch the u-boot stolen from 5.7.4

A KUAL menu entry to boot Android - well, that menu entry is original.
And at least they included Android/KOreader in their build, so it isn't useless.

The first thing, the only thing, that comes to the mind of the Chinese developers: 剽窃

I don't think the Chinese would know what an original idea of their own was even if it bit them on their a.. .

= = = = =

The developer's policy here continues:
No credit
No sources
No support
Hey sweetie,
As your adopted daughter, I am asking you to pack up your kit and take a break from here. I can see your blood pressure rising and it just isn't worth risking your health.
Love you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #28
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
This is fantastic. Someone is replacing KindleOS with a custom Android build that needs to be "activated"? We should reverse engineer this and see what's going on. Would be neat to have a generic Android build running on newer Kindles. Wonder how they got drivers working for the eink display?

Can anyone mirror the files while they're still up?
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #29
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
This is fantastic. Someone is replacing KindleOS with a custom Android build that needs to be "activated"? We should reverse engineer this and see what's going on. Would be neat to have a generic Android build running on here.

Can anyone mirror the files while they're still up?
I've mirrored enough of it I think, there is no source code, but the u-boot seems the important part to launch android?

I just cannot wrap my head around the boot loader process though.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #30
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I've mirrored enough of it I think, there is no source code, but the u-boot seems the important part to launch android?

I just cannot wrap my head around the boot loader process though.
Initial guess is that someone cloned the Kindle hardware and ported Android to it as a feature upsell? Heck if I know, this seems like a lot of work for questionable gain.

Nevermind, looks like this was built with leaked (freescale) tools for the microprocessor. Less exciting, won't be able to build our own in the same way.

Built from: /media/freescale/android4.4.2-source/.

Rough waters ahead, beware!

Last edited by Branch Delay; 10-10-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote