Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I agree to most of the comments Murg made. He sums up quite a lot of basic ("common sense") ereader reading functions that should be easy to use.

I really, really don't like the reading recommendations Kobo makes. It doesn't work (desktop and website).
I've set many books titles to "not interested" but most of those books keep showing up in the recommendation list.
And the option "already read" doesn't seem to work at all. Books don't disappear from the list or don't keep the "already read" status.
My personal favorites:
  • Books you own showing up in the recommended list
  • Preview book: If you decide to add it to your wishlist for a later purchase and you delete the preview from your library the book is also removed from your wishlist.
  • Books that are added to you wishlist are NOT removed from the recommended panel or any other panel they may be in when you added them to your wishlist.
  • Deleting a purchased book from your "I'm Reading" puts it in the trash can rather than just removing it from the "I'm Reading" area and leaving it in the "Purchased" section... how dumb is that.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I really, really don't like the reading recommendations Kobo makes. It doesn't work (desktop and website).
I've set many books titles to "not interested" but most of those books keep showing up in the recommendation list.
And the option "already read" doesn't seem to work at all. Books don't disappear from the list or don't keep the "already read" status.
Are the recommended books or similar to what you are reading even close to what you are interested in? Currently my recommnded list has a couple of Nora Roberts books and a Patricia Wrede book which I at least recognize. The remaining books on my recommendations are for other romance authors plus Charles Dickens and Henry James. The similar to what you are reading shows 4 Susan Mallory, 2 Nora Roberts and 1 Debbie MacComber book -- all are romance novels. This is perhaps understandable since the similar to book is a romance novel -- unfortunately, one I have never read and which has not been on any of the Kobos I've owned.

For someone who reads mostly science fiction and fantasy with some sidelines into humour and mystery, I would love to know just why I get those recommendations.

As you mention, I've clicked on 'not interested' but doesn't seem to help. While the books I click on disappear, the new recommendations are equally useless.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
From what I have seen the Kobo recommendation system is the worst one I've ever come across and the internet is full of them. For whatever reason the majority of books recommended are 'romance' type novels. I've never read/bought one and routinely mark them as not interested. The recommendation engine doesn't seem too concerned with my choices and so I've come to just ignore it. That's Marketing!

Since the recommendation engine seems to be driving the firmware update frequency you'd think that it would actually work better.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are the recommended books or similar to what you are reading even close to what you are interested in? Currently my recommnded list has a couple of Nora Roberts books and a Patricia Wrede book which I at least recognize. The remaining books on my recommendations are for other romance authors plus Charles Dickens and Henry James. The similar to what you are reading shows 4 Susan Mallory, 2 Nora Roberts and 1 Debbie MacComber book -- all are romance novels. This is perhaps understandable since the similar to book is a romance novel -- unfortunately, one I have never read and which has not been on any of the Kobos I've owned.

For someone who reads mostly science fiction and fantasy with some sidelines into humour and mystery, I would love to know just why I get those recommendations.

As you mention, I've clicked on 'not interested' but doesn't seem to help. While the books I click on disappear, the new recommendations are equally useless.
I have bought about 20 books in the last month. 100% Sci Fi. I just opened the desktop application. Most of the recommendations make sense to me. They are for the authors I bought or looked at other books for. There are only two that it is not obvious from the title or cover why they are there. I clicked "Not interested" for one and it was replaced by "Pride and Prejudice". That was replace by a Ben Bova. It's been a whole week since I saw "50 shades of whatever".

The similar to books make complete sense. I am reading "In the Ocean of the Night" by Gregory Benford (I'm actually reading the epub version but originally started with the kepub version). Book 4 of the series is in the list (I already bought book 2 and book 3 doesn't seem to be available as an ebook). The other books are by Benford, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, David Brin and some authors I don't recognise. But the covers and titles make me think they fit.

The system is working better than I thought. It is paying more attention to the books I have bought than to marking others as "Not interested". That makes sense as putting down money is a much surer indicator of interests. The other thing this tells me is that Kobo is not looking at other books on my device. In the past, I have mainly been reading epubs from other sources. My reading patterns have been roughly the same, but that didn't affect the recommendations made.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I clicked "Not interested" for one and it was replaced by "Pride and Prejudice". That was replace by a Ben Bova.
I could understand "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", but "Pride and Prejudice"?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The similar to books make complete sense. I am reading "In the Ocean of the Night" by Gregory Benford (I'm actually reading the epub version but originally started with the kepub version). Book 4 of the series is in the list (I already bought book 2 and book 3 doesn't seem to be available as an ebook). The other books are by Benford, Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, David Brin and some authors I don't recognise. But the covers and titles make me think they fit.
Gregory Benford at Books on Board. If I am reading the Wiki right, Great Sky River is the 3rd book in the "Galactic Centre" Saga listed @ $4.81

Bah... now I have more books to read. Just purchased all 6 books with... oh can I bear it... a shopping cart and I saved $16 without a Kobo Promo code.

PS: don't let the yellow covers fool you on their website. Proper covers show up in ADE when you download them. I thought I was going to have to do a google image search and replace the yellow ones. Glad I don't have to.

PPS: Just checked out Kobo... The books are cheaper at Books on Board.

Last edited by Danger; 12-31-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Gregory Benford at Books on Board. If I am reading the Wiki right, Great Sky River is the 3rd book in the "Galactic Centre" Saga listed @ $4.81

Bah... now I have more books to read. Just purchased all 6 books with... oh can I bear it... a shopping cart and I saved $16 without a Kobo Promo code.

PS: don't let the yellow covers fool you on their website. Proper covers show up in ADE when you download them. I thought I was going to have to do a google image search and replace the yellow ones. Glad I don't have to.

PPS: Just checked out Kobo... The books are cheaper at Books on Board.
Thanks for the pointer but "That title is not allowed for sale within your country." Maybe I need to move.

The prices I saw listed when I was not logged were similar to those I see from Kobo. But that might change as I think the prices for the books from Gateway was for December only. Actually, Kobo is probably cheaper as it is $AU rather than $US.

My copies did have the yellow covers when I downloaded them. But that was easily fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #23
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer but "That title is not allowed for sale within your country." Maybe I need to move...
Ahhh yah... uh as far as Books on Board knows... I uh... live in the US, LA to be precise
They had a book that I wanted when I first signed up, using my Canadian address I couldn't buy the book. So I moved to the US just to buy the book, never did move back Had actually forgotten that I live in the US until you mentioned it... Funny thing is all my payments are in Canadian dollars.

Last edited by Danger; 12-31-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post

Anyway, I decided to try to take it back to 2.1.5 one more time and did it successfully this way. I factory reset it to 1.9.1.3 then side loading to 2.0.4 and then side loading to 2.1.5. Then I chose to sign in to Kobo using the desktop application. It did its thing including forcing an upgrade to 2.3.1. However, before ejecting it and letting it update I simply accessed the .kobo folder on the touch and deleted the 3 update files that are of the same name as the files in the side loaded updates. I then ejected and found that I had 2.1.5 but was signed in to Kobo so was fully functional. The books that I had bought from Kobo I trashed in my Kobo account and use Calibre to manage them.

I am happy once again to have a properly [well, fairly properly] functioning device and I won't be shifting from 2.1.5 in a hurry. My hope is that this story may help others to switch back if they find that 2.1.5 was ok for them and 2.3.1 is too annoying.

How could Kobo have let such a serious bug get through to a release?
Thanks for that - just worked for me and am happily back to 2.1.5

Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Danger,

Ooooooh, you better watch out. Homeland security will have the RCMP politely knocking on your door to conduct you on your way to a free all expense paid water sports, uh water boarding, vacation of indeterminate duration at a lovely seaside Guantanamo resort...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote