Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm here for one thing, and one thing only: to recommend that any fan of Around the World in 80 Days (and who doesn't generally despise science fiction, of course) immediately read Philip José Farmer's The Other Log of Phileas Fogg (if they haven't already). You won't want to miss out on what was "really" going on behind the scenes in this Verne classic.
Since we read Tarzan not long ago, I'll mention Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke by Philip José Farmer.
Quote:
Through the tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs, generations of readers have thrilled to the adventures of Lord Greystoke (aka John Clayton, but better known as Tarzan of the Apes). In this biography Philip José Farmer pieces together the life of this fantastic man, correcting Burroughs's errors and deliberate deceptions and tracing Tarzan's family tree back to other extraordinary figures, including Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes, the Scarlet Pimpernel, Doc Savage, Nero Wolfe, and Bulldog Drummond.

Tarzan Alive offers the first chronological account of Tarzan's life, narrated in careful detail garnered from Burroughs's stories and other sources. From the ill-fated voyage that led to Greystoke's birth on the isolated African coast to his final adventures as a group captain in the RAF during World War II, Farmer constructs a comprehensive and authoritative account. Farmer's assertion that Tarzan was a real person has led him to craft a biography as well researched and compelling as that of any character from conventional history.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I wasn't intending to set off a spate of recommendations, Jon. My recommendation was for a book ABOUT the book you're now discussing. So I thought it somewhat apropos. It wasn't intended as a proposal for the next book-club book or anything like that. You guys have threads already dedicated to that sort of selection process.

Carry on with your discussion. Apologies for a slight derailment
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #78
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I wasn't intending to set off a spate of recommendations, Jon. My recommendation was for a book ABOUT the book you're now discussing. So I thought it somewhat apropos. It wasn't intended as a proposal for the next book-club book or anything like that. You guys have threads already dedicated to that sort of selection process.

Carry on with your discussion. Apologies for a slight derailment
No, thank you for the recommendation. I'll have to take a look.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #79
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since we read Tarzan not long ago, I'll mention Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke by Philip José Farmer.
Wouldn't this recommendation be better copied or moved to the Tarzan thread? I see it's the same author as the recommended Around the World book, but it would fit better there with any other Tarzan riffs.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wouldn't this recommendation be better copied or moved to the Tarzan thread? I see it's the same author as the recommended Around the World book, but it would fit better there with any other Tarzan riffs.
Probably. But I didn't want to resurrect it given that the book is from the same author as the Fogg Log book.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert