Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 06:17 AM   #1
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
Kindle firmware update 5.14.3.0.1

The release note on the Kindle (O2 9th) looks the same as 5.14.3

The download links points to 5.14.3.0.1

Enjoy (hopefully)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I'm gonna install it. I don't think my battery life can get any worse than what it is right now.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
In the original Release Notes for 5.14.3 they had listed a new feature called Quick View that was supposed to give some type of information about the book you were reading. It was never in 5.14.3. At least I haven't found it yet. Now, it is not listed in the 5.14.3.0.1 Release Notes. Maybe that's the difference? In any case I'm going to wait until they send it to me. I'm not going jump the gun and download it even if they claim it is an important security fix again. Once burned...
Gripweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #4
sparksdls
sparksdls began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
This fix?

https://new.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...d_today_fixes/
sparksdls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
In the original Release Notes for 5.14.3 they had listed a new feature called Quick View that was supposed to give some type of information about the book you were reading. It was never in 5.14.3. At least I haven't found it yet. Now, it is not listed in the 5.14.3.0.1 Release Notes. Maybe that's the difference? In any case I'm going to wait until they send it to me. I'm not going jump the gun and download it even if they claim it is an important security fix again. Once burned...
For those without the update, this is the description:

Quote:
Quick View: You can now read details about a book in a quick view without leaving the page you are on. Additional actions are available from the three-dot memo on the top right corner of the quick view.
Okay, so when tapping top of screen, I do see full title of books, and at bottom the name of current chapter, page x of y | do minutes left in chapter | dd%. Maybe these are considered ‘details about a book’? I think this layout might be new. Didn’t it used to go to page flip when you tapped at top? It still goes into page flip mode when you swipe up from bottom about an inch, and from this ‘book details’ view, if that’s what it is, you can tap on the page flip buttons at bottom.

— and also, still shown in Release Notes: —

Quote:
Discover books card: Find your next read by filtering books by genre and category using the Discover Books card.
This I have no clue about. Sounds cool, but where is it? Is this to ‘find your next read’ among the books you have already purchased (which is what I’d like it to be) or to point you at books in Kindle Store?

From the description it seems there should be another icon or something next to the Filters or Sort By icons when viewing Library, in order to open this Discover Books card. But there’s nothing, and 5.14.3 has been out for awhile now.

But…what a ridiculous version label. 5.14.3.0.1. It’s 1/100th of a minor update, don’t you know?

Last edited by tomsem; 05-17-2022 at 08:59 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I compared 5.14.3.0.1 to the original 5.14.3 release. The only difference I found was minor change to internal event handling related to the user interface. Looks like just a simple bug fix.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #7
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
But .. version 5.14.3 has been rollbacked from Amazon because it caused many problems (ex battery drain....). If version 5.14.3.0.1 has only a few differences there is no risk that they will reappear once installed? See also here

Last edited by stefano.sb; 05-18-2022 at 06:36 AM.
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano.sb View Post
But .. version 5.14.3 has been rollbacked from Amazon because it caused many problems (ex battery drain....). If version 5.14.3.0.1 has only a few differences there is no risk that they will reappear once installed? See also here
You are linking to an article from Good e-Reader. It is all speculation, not facts, on why Amazon pulled 5.14.3 and what was fixed in 5.14.3.0.1.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:54 PM   #9
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
So, I realized that after this update you must register your kindle to have the option to use the book cover in Device Options as a screensaver. Before you had this option even without having to register your Kindle. Also, every time you go to the Library, you will get an annoying popup reminding you that your kindle is not registered.
It seems that LibrarianSync also no longer works on unregistered Kindles.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:58 PM   #10
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This I have no clue about. Sounds cool, but where is it? Is this to ‘find your next read’ among the books you have already purchased (which is what I’d like it to be) or to point you at books in Kindle Store?

From the description it seems there should be another icon or something next to the Filters or Sort By icons when viewing Library, in order to open this Discover Books card. But there’s nothing, and 5.14.3 has been out for awhile now.
I think this is it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Discover Books.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	193882  
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:57 AM   #11
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
So, I realized that after this update you must register your kindle to have the option to use the book cover in Device Options as a screensaver. Before you had this option even without having to register your Kindle. Also, every time you go to the Library, you will get an annoying popup reminding you that your kindle is not registered.
It seems that LibrarianSync also no longer works on unregistered Kindles.
I have the same popup on 5.14.3 firmware. It is a pity there is no possibility to downgrade :/
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think this is it
That does not appear on any of my Kindles. It looks like an improved version of "Discover your next read". I assume that it just takes you to the store.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:13 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by joh77 View Post
I have the same popup on 5.14.3 firmware. It is a pity there is no possibility to downgrade :/
If your kindle is jailbroken, it is possible to downgrade the firmware.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #14
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If your kindle is jailbroken, it is possible to downgrade the firmware.
Unfortunately it is not jailbroken. I've manualy upgrade it before I saw info about JB release. Just my stupid luck. :/
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:09 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I think this is it
It does seem to match the description (except it doesn’t look like a “card” to me). And I am not seeing that UI on any of my Kindles (2 still on 5.14.3, the other on 5.14.3.01).

And it isn’t what I was hoping for in any case. I rarely if ever shop by genre, but would like to be able to apply genre filters to my library.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-19-2022 at 05:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote