Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
My local library had them, so if you can get them at your library no money lost if you hate them!! I always worry about suggesting a book, someone buying it, and hating it. I hate wasting someone else's money.
S
Why worry? That's always the chance one takes when trying something new. Trying something new is never a waste of money.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
While it's more fun to diss the bad'uns, it's probably more useful to focus on the good at first, so I'll add three four-star narrators: Juliet Stevenson, Campbell Scott, Bronson Pinchot.

Pinchot is another for the actor files; he's an excellent narrator Scott doesn't have a big audiography so I haven't listened to him as much as I'd like. There's an actor connection as he's the son of George C.
Bronson Pinchot is another I like a lot. He's actually got a big catalog of audiobooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have always liked Campbell Scott. Both as a Narrator and an actor.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #34
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Did you want to give a rating to these? You don't have to but if you do I'll include them.
I'd have to give them both 5 out of 5 or 10 out of 10 or 13 out of 13 or what ever the rating system is today!! They are both very good.
I only know two at are just awful. I've blanked their names out of my brain, I'll have to see if I can look them up later today.
This is a great thread, I'm getting lots of ideas for more books to listen to.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Bronson Pinchot is another I like a lot. He's actually got a big catalog of audiobooks.
Yes, I missed out a period there. Pinchot's got a big catalogue and Scott does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have always liked Campbell Scott. Both as a Narrator and an actor.
Apache
I didn't realize Campbell also was an actor.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I think you meant Grace Lynn Kung?
Yes. Thank you. Was working from memory.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #37
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am not much of a fan of numbered ratings. I especially like some narrators and especially dislike others, but most fall in the middle--they're competent, they don't make glaring errors, and I don't much notice them.

I find some author/narrator combos exceptional (e.g., Rhys Bowen/Katherine Kellgren) and others awful (e.g., Harlan Coben/Scott Brick). I have different views sometimes when those same folks are paired up with others.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yes, I missed out a period there. Pinchot's got a big catalogue and Scott does not.

I didn't realize Campbell also was an actor.
He has been acting since 1987. Both movies, television and stage work.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #39
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes. Thank you. Was working from memory.

Charlie.
No worries! I just didn't want to put your rating on a different name in the list than the one you gave without being sure.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #40
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
This is a great thread, I'm getting lots of ideas for more books to listen to.
S
Thanks! I hope this'll make it easier for people to see opinions on narrators they're unsure about or they didn't know about.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #41
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I am not much of a fan of numbered ratings.
No problem; it's still valuable seeing your opinions on narrators even without number ratings. Although, if you do decide to give any ratings I'll include them!

It would be more complex to do but I might try adding the comments about each narrator to their spoiler tag in the list, although the visible numbered ratings would still only reflect those who gave a number rating.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #42
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Thank you for that! I'll check out the Goodreads group; I didn't know about it. But as you say, while any ratings can help give someone a general impression, here we have a sense of the members. The ratings might be fewer but can carry more weight.
As one of the moderators of that Goodreads group - welcome!

My experience with the narrators listed gives a 4 to Frederick Davidson, as he kept working after his voice declined near the end. These folks all get 5's: William Dufris, Grover Gardner, Lisette Lecat, John Lee, Nadia May, Barbara Rosenblatt, Simon Vance and Timothy West.

Not on list

Emily Woo Zeller gets a 1 - I recall listening to her read a book because she does Chinese pronunciation well, but otherwise I came away with a strong impression that I never wanted to hear her read anything else again.

The following are 5's: George Guidall, Kirby Heyborne, Jefferson Mays, Michael Page, Davina Porter, Ray Porter, Kate Reading and Jeff Woodman.

Finally ... we need to talk about Flo Gibson. I give her a 4, but she's definitely an "acquired taste"!

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 11-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #43
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd give Emily Woo Zeller a 2. Not good, but if I had no choice, I'd listen to it. Unlike a 1, where I simply will NOT listen to it.

Guidall, Davina Porter, Oliver Wyman, and Kate Reading, from SeaBookGuy's list each get a 4, though it's a strong 4 for Davina Porter. I've listened to Heyborne's Modesitt narrations. I'd probably go with a 3 for him. Though I might stretch up to a 4. But not a 5. (5 I reserve for those that are the equivalent of a Michelin 3 star.)

Last edited by CRussel; 11-02-2019 at 02:41 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
As one of the moderators of that Goodreads group - welcome!
I figured I'd let you reveal yourself. It's a terrific group.

I'll give fours to Grover Gardner and George Guidall.

I started a book with a solid one this afternoon, everything I hate in a female narrator: arch, over-inflected and stagey. But I won't name her, as I checked Audible she's got a limited audiography and there's no point in cluttering up the list.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #45
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I am fond of Grover Gardner from the Inspector Montalbano series. George Guidall was outstanding in reading Tony Hillerman's books set in Navajo country!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote