Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I don’t want my e-reader to have extra functions like a camera, games and mp3’s. That’s what cell phones are for! I like my e-reader for reading.
I actually don't care if my e-reader has all those extra features or not.

However, I'd rather have a simple/basic e-reader if that keeps the price down, and I'd prefer manufacturers to focus more on improvements that benefit reading experience.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #32
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I don’t want my e-reader to have extra functions like a camera, games and mp3’s. That’s what cell phones are for! I like my e-reader for reading.
Nobody is arguing about that. Most people want their e-reader for reading. But having a notepad on your ereader is handy - especially for listing more books you want to get.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

However, I'd rather have a simple/basic e-reader if that keeps the price down, and I'd prefer manufacturers to focus more on improvements that benefit reading experience.
I think this is a big point. Whistles and bells don't have to be used. If they could be provided without prices rising too high, and without affecting the stability of an otherwise rock-solid reading experience, who would care if their dedicated ereader had a feature they never enabled/utilized?

You don't hear car-owners who never drive on the highway complaining that their vehicle has cruise-control. They just don't use it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

You might checkout the KOReader project at Github, it is maintained by an international team of volunteers, and is driven by issues raised by users. Issues raised in the KOReader Forum here on MR are often addressed within days at the project.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You might checkout the KOReader project at Github, it is maintained by an international team of volunteers, and is driven by issues raised by users. Issues raised in the KOReader Forum here on MR are often addressed within days at the project.

Luck;
Ken
Have it installed on my Kindle but quite honestly, not a big fan.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #36
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I guess I could see an audio player so you could listen to the audiobook as you read along in the ebook.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #37
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do read on a tablet. I do not find the weight a problem since I consider it the same as reading a hard cover book. I love being able to have Calibre installed, on my tablet, which gives me immediate access to all books. The Calibre Library is installed on a compact flash drive and is backed up constantly. The only time I use the tablet for anything except reading is if I am traveling.
If I am listening to music or audiobooks I use my mp3 player, which has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #38
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The newer Pocketbook devices do have all these features built in: a browser, some games, a note pad, a calculator, an RSS reader. The luxury models also offer audio features. I hardly ever use these functions, though, they are much more convenient on my phone.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #39
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
My Sony PRS-650 has capacity to play Mp3, and has a notepad. I never used it. Didnt miss them when I moved to Kobo and Kindle. I can't have music playing when I am reading, I am easily distracted and need silence as much as possible.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #40
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The original Nook had games on it. very basic ones I think
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #41
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
My Sony PRS-650 has capacity to play Mp3, and has a notepad. I never used it. Didnt miss them when I moved to Kobo and Kindle. I can't have music playing when I am reading, I am easily distracted and need silence as much as possible.
some people say listen to music and reading is better... but definitely not for me...
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
some people say listen to music and reading is better... but definitely not for me...
I can't read and listen to music at the same time. I have to concentrate on one thing or the other. But having the ability to download and listen to related podcasts on the same eReader where I have related books, seems to be a good idea. One source for related subjects. At least I like having that option.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #43
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Well if you want the extra functions a tablet is a way to go. eink ereaders are meant to be distraction free and just for reading
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Well if you want the extra functions a tablet is a way to go. eink ereaders are meant to be distraction free and just for reading
Not for me. Too big, too heavy and too short of a battery life – and I don't like staring at the LCD screen. Two features were included with x50 Series and T1, ability to play MP3s and the ability to take notes. I don't think those two features are too taxing for eReader hardware.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #45
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Audiobooks, music, and games are better suited to a smartphone than an e-Ink device. I'd like to see better out-of-the-box support for Pocket/Instapaper, online news, Wikipedia, etc.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote