Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
stevej46
stevej46 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have been successful using sigil as an editor. It helps me fix minor problems with my original ODT (openoffice) file after I have converted it to an ePub.

I create my TOC in Sigil. I do my page breaks in Sigil. I also fix the date in Sigil.

I find that after I do my page breaks, the first heading says heading_id_2. I have to fix it so my page breaks are in order and beginning with heading_id_1. Also the dc-date has to be corrected to the right format just as it did when I used InDesign.

Once I've finished my editing in Sigil, I clean it up once more in Calibre. I run a final ePub to ePub conversion. Once done, it passes ePubChecker.

So far, so good.
stevej46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
rplantz
rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I certainly don't think InDesign is the proper tool for ePub creation. Personally, I just write the (X)HTML in vim, or else write in LaTeX (again in vim) and convert to (X)HTML, hand-write the XML, and zip it up myself. But I'm a control freak.
Sorry for being a little off topic here, but how do you convert from LaTeX to (X)HTML? None of the converters I've tried will make it all the way through my book (which is written in LaTeX).
rplantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplantz View Post
Sorry for being a little off topic here, but how do you convert from LaTeX to (X)HTML? None of the converters I've tried will make it all the way through my book (which is written in LaTeX).
Personally I do it with a custom-made sed script. Whether this would work for you I guess would depend on how complex your book is.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #19
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplantz View Post
Have you tried tex4ht?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
rplantz
rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rplantz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
Have you tried tex4ht?
Yes, the LaTeX I use is much too complex for tex4ht. It dies in the middle of the second chapter.
rplantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #21
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Then you would have to customize tex4ht, which isn't a trivial task.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej46 View Post
I have been successful using sigil as an editor. It helps me fix minor problems with my original ODT (openoffice) file after I have converted it to an ePub.

I create my TOC in Sigil. I do my page breaks in Sigil. I also fix the date in Sigil.

I find that after I do my page breaks, the first heading says heading_id_2. I have to fix it so my page breaks are in order and beginning with heading_id_1. Also the dc-date has to be corrected to the right format just as it did when I used InDesign.

Once I've finished my editing in Sigil, I clean it up once more in Calibre. I run a final ePub to ePub conversion. Once done, it passes ePubChecker.

So far, so good.
You clean it up with calibre ??
I spent much time using sgil to fix calibre crappy code.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I agree, Calibre is good enough to convert from one format to another but not ePUB to ePUB. It adds a lot of code which is not really necessary.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've used Sigil since it came out, to create my ePub files. I generally use an original Word file, manually cut and paste that into an HTML page (a Dreamweaver view mode box), and then paste that HTML into Sigil. What I like about it is its ease of creating a book, and its compliance. Sigil is the first program I'd recommend to most book creators, especially if they can work with their own HTML files.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
I would love to use a simpler program, however I use a combination: Sigil and InDesign 5.5. My employer creates 200+ page books with intricate styling, layouts, images, sidebars, chapter breaks etc. not to mention a lengthy TOC. So to take a book that was already made with the 'book' feature in InDesign and to use something else would be backwards. Not to mention PROOFING. Before I work in Sigil, I do a simplification of 'styles' in the InDesign doc. "strip" a lot of crap out. Then output it and work in Sigil from there... Hell, sometimes I even work in Oxygen/Author.
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epubcheck, indesign, sigil