Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The Hobbit. Bored me into a coma.
Alot of people say that. But I really enjoyed The Hobbit. I read it as a young teen. It made me all the more want to read LOTR which was awesome... and people say it was very boring too.

Oh well, to each his own this thread proves.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #62
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Fortress of Solitude by Johnathan Lethem. And I grew up in Brooklyn during the era covered in the book!

Last edited by MobileTechReview; 03-16-2009 at 01:44 PM.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #63
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
BBC made a rather nice four part mini-series over this book. I don't think I'd ever want to read it though.
I got as far as the sick old woman putting her last piece of coal on the tiny brazier, then decided I didn't care. It was a "filler" class for my last undergrad semester, needed the credits and category in a time slot that my job allowed, so "Victorian Fiction" was my only choice. I think by the time we got to it, I was just full to the top of my head of Austen, et al.

The book was in the Grand Shelf Cleaning a few weeks ago. It's the library's problem now!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #64
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
The Hobbit was so coma-boring that I refused to read Lord of the Rings. Had the entire set sitting on the shelf (my wife's). Never touched it.
They're very different. The Hobbit is a sort of children's style, where LOTR is in an adult, could even be said, 'high', style. It's a legend from nobler, grander times. Tolkien also loves writing descriptions, and I can understand that for some it feels longwinded. For me, it all just adds to the richness of the tale.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #65
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
They're very different. The Hobbit is a sort of children's style, where LOTR is in an adult, could even be said, 'high', style. It's a legend from nobler, grander times. Tolkien also loves writing descriptions, and I can understand that for some it feels longwinded. For me, it all just adds to the richness of the tale.
Are they on e-books in Mobi format?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #66
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's certainly obtainable, but not legally. Unfortunately the heirs and copyright owners haven't wanted it published in electronic form.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #67
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm pretty sure Tolkien's books are not available as ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #68
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I was not overimpressed by The Hobbit. Kinda boring. I read it when I was what? 22? I read The Hobbit after reading LOTR a couple of times. I re-read LOTR a few more times after that.
They are very different.
Probably in 10 years time, if I live that long, I will re-read The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
Btw, I liked Unfinished tales a lot more than Silmarillion. Silmarillion was a bit boring as well. At least the beginning. Reminded me of the Bible that I never finished, although tried 3 times.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #69
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? That's treason. Seize him. Toss him out an airlock after reading him Vogon poetry.
I know, I really tried to like it -I did since it was on the list of 1001 books to read before you die but as much as I love science fiction and fantasy, I just couldn't slog through it....now mind you, I was doing it as an audio book rather than physically reading it but I did promise myself to try reading it to see if was better that way....
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #70
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
The most boring book as of late I've read is The Calling by Jacob Israel. I see lots of glowing reviews on Amazon, but I thought it was very poor. The author sold it as an ebook (pdf) a few months before it was available in print.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #71
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwolf36 View Post
I know, I really tried to like it -I did since it was on the list of 1001 books to read before you die but as much as I love science fiction and fantasy, I just couldn't slog through it....now mind you, I was doing it as an audio book rather than physically reading it but I did promise myself to try reading it to see if was better that way....
Hitchhiker's Guide was originally a comedy radio series. Douglas Adams developed in it into the book trilogy later.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #72
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
Quote:
Hitchhiker's Guide was originally a comedy radio series. Douglas Adams developed in it into the book trilogy later.
Interesting...like I said, I will give the printed version a try...could be the reader of the audio book that turned me off....who knows.
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #73
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
"My Life in the Shipyards" was a rivetting one.
One I am reading now - a sort of real life thing is great "Uncommon Carriers"
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #74
pomposity
pomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it ispomposity knows what time it is

Device: sony 505
Two contenders

Two 'most boring' contenders, I think:

1) Moby Dick

2) Handbook of Mammalian Body Masses

- can't decide between the two
pomposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Middlemarch. I couldn't get through it. But, I faked it on the exam and passed. You know, society, Victorian thoughts and lifestyles, sucks to be poor, limitations of womens' freedom, patriarchal hierarchy, etc. I doubt it was an A paper, but I do remember being surprised that I could bullsh!t well enough to pass. Can't recall a single character's name now, nor the author, nor do I want to. It is really dreadful.
And this has to do with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy how?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote