Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
Lily2
Lily2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Oasis vs Kobo Libra 2 vs other options?

Hi.
My fairly old Kindle Paperwhite is slowly dying on me, probably I let the battery go super empty too often.
I'm now looking into what new options there are and am a bit overwhelmed because I know only the amazon ecosystem but dont see a hard reason why I should be restricted to that.
My existing library is mostly free downloaded epubs, and some amazon stuff I wouldnt care about. I used Calibre for managing the downloaded epubs.

I dont ever see myself listening to audiobooks.

What I wish for:

- Backlight with a regulation for the blue light because I often read at night. If it could auto-regulate the brightness that would be a plus.

- Waterproof

- A way to switch pages that is not a swipe but easy to press with the same hand I'm holding the device with

- A good offline dictionary that gives definitions because I read in english and its not my native language

- Some way to search in a book for something or look something up without losing my actual position if I have forgotten who that was again or something. (But thats not a must, I survived without so far)

- It would be great if there was a way to browse new books from my phone to load onto the device. I dont really know anything about the shops other than amazon, or the options to lend ebooks from libraries, but wanna get into that - recommendations on these options very welcome (I mostly read YA, fantasy and science fiction).

Thanks for any hints
Lily2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:44 AM   #2
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
kindle oasis or pocketbook
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2024, 12:04 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by readthinksurvive View Post
And why not the Libra? It's as good as the others.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #4
Lily2

Quote:
Can you elaborate why? Do they both fill all my wishes?

Meanwhile I found out, that in my country (Germany) neither Kindle nor Kobo can lend books from libraries. Libraries use this Libby app, but it doesnt work here with Kindle or Kobo apparently. Only Tolino can. And I find almost noone recommending them here.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:54 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You need an Android based eink ereader if you want arbitrary library systems. Mine still works for everything except the local library.
So I read novels that I buy or that are free or PD on a Kobo Sage (a Kobo Libra 2 is similar to read on except 7″ rather than 8″) and read any Library loan on my TCL Nxtpaper 11 tablet (Android 13). The Android eink was bought for Library access and is now usless for that.

Pocketbook may not let you install Android apps from Playstore. Onyx and Meebook do, but for just reading novels that you buy or that are free or PD the Kobo Libra 2 is better and works better than Oasis (or any Kindle) with Calibre as you have not just Title & Author, but comments/blurb, series, subtitle and collection. None of the Android models support that via Calibre.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-25-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2024, 09:19 AM   #6
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2 View Post

Meanwhile I found out, that in my country (Germany) neither Kindle nor Kobo can lend books from libraries. Libraries use this Libby app, but it doesnt work here with Kindle or Kobo apparently. Only Tolino can. And I find almost noone recommending them here.
As far as I know, Kobo will work with overdrive without Libby app. Tolino is basically a copy of Kobo, only the software is different. Tolino 6 - Kobo Libra 2. I I don't know how Calibre is with Tolino, but someone on Tolino subforum might know.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:46 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The overdrive feature on the Kobo is only enabled in certain countries. It's not enabled in Ireland. Our County Library uses Libby for some content and that only works on Android here (not sure on iOS). They also use Borrowbox for other content, which works on some but not other Android, even using same version!

As Tolino is using Android, it's irrelevant if a model is even identical to a Kobo model. It will be MTP and not USB Mass Storage. Likely only Title and Author (or any things that are standard epub metadata in the epub) work as Calibre doesn't access the database directly on any MTP using device.

Kobo took over Tolino which serves the German market.

It's unlikely a Kobo in Germany can access the German libraries, as that doesn't work in Ireland. I suppose I could switch one of my Kobos to being "in the USA" and test.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:57 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Check your specific library's Help pages, but I believe you should still be able to download an epub from your library's Overdrive/Libby system, and sideload it onto a Kobo (but not a Kindle) using Adobe Digital Editions. This may or may not be a dealbreaker for you, if you only want on-device borrowing.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:40 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Yes, our library supports web page and ADE.
But I can only remove DRM from ADE files and I won't do that for loans. Not been able to run ADE since 2016.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:58 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:

I can get library books in Germany without any problem with my Pocketbooks. I have now switched completely to Pocketbooks since march 2023 and I am a very happy reader.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:28 PM   #11
Lily2

Thank you very much!
I asked around and did a bit more research and was also told that in Germany I couldnt get Libby on a Kobo, only on a Tolino and their firmware is apparently not so great and they cant do Amazon books.

So I decided for a Boox Page as it can have both the Amazon app and Libby and also Calibre compatibility through a sideloaded apk.
It already arrived today and got Amazon app and Libby installed fine I am currently trying to figure out how that sideloading thing works
Old 03-28-2024, 01:21 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, our library supports web page and ADE.
But I can only remove DRM from ADE files and I won't do that for loans. Not been able to run ADE since 2016.
I'm confused by your comment. Downloading the book with ADE doesn't mean you have to remove the DRM. You can then load the borrowed book straight onto the kobo with ADE.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:24 PM   #13
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And why not the Libra? It's as good as the others.
because this person used a kindle paperwhite
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:24 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Thank you very much!
I asked around and did a bit more research and was also told that in Germany I couldnt get Libby on a Kobo, only on a Tolino and their firmware is apparently not so great and they cant do Amazon books.

I'm guessing you are geting some questionable information.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:29 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
because this person used a kindle paperwhite
What's that got to do with anything? I also used Kindles before I switched to Kobos.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote