Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-13-2024, 02:25 AM   #1
k_sze
k_sze began at the beginning.

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro X
Question E-readers with custom *online* dictionaries?

I have a particular requirement when shopping for e-readers.

I love using Calibre on my PC, and my favourite functionality is Calibre's ability to add custom online dictionaries. For instance, when reading Tolkien novels, I would add a Tolkien wiki as a "dictionary", so I can quickly get more context about certain characters or events or places when reading. When reading Malazan novels, I would add the Malazan wiki as dictionary. When reading ancient/classical Chinese books, I would add zdic.net and the "Multi-function Chinese Character Database" by the Chinese University of Hong Kong as dictionaries.

Does any e-reader hardware have this functionality?

Screenshots for how the custom online dictionary function works in Calibre: https://imgur.com/a/oM3U8pg
k_sze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:52 AM   #2
mantheron
mantheron began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This can be done on Kobo ereaders that are compatible with NickelMenu. The documentation includes an example of adding a DuckDuckGo search to the selection search menu. It's not built into the default firmware, but it is easy to install.
mantheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2024, 06:37 AM   #3
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
The Calibre WordDumb plugin creates Kindle X-Ray files, which allow you to view general information about character, places, and other entities in a book. It is able to pull this information from *.fandom.com sites and from Wikipedia, which it then copies onto a Kindle devices alongside the book file.

It's also able to pull word definitions from Wiktionairy, and possibly local sources.

See a sample of how this looks on the right site of this image: https://user-images.githubuserconten...0018124040.png

Last edited by colinsky; 03-14-2024 at 06:40 AM.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote