Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 09:56 AM   #16
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use a tablet for everything as I can adjust it to be easy on my eyes (eye strain and screens really seems to be a YMMV issue), I read a fair number of PDFs, I like the ability to do research at the drop of a hat, I very much need the alarm and reminder functions, and I don't want to carry around more then one device.

The weight is less than ideal so I have pillows and/or props scattered around where I usually read.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 04:21 AM   #17
Wrzlbrmpft
Wrzlbrmpft began at the beginning.

Device: color 3
Thank you very much for your valuable input.

I think I will return those readers and buy a decent tablet, this is the better solution.
Wrzlbrmpft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 11:49 AM   #18
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
If you're looking for a decent budget tablet, give Lenovo's line a look. I have two: an 8" for portable PDF reading (and GPS, but that's another thing) and a 10" for magazines, comic books, that sort of thing. They've been great, and didn't break my wallet.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:23 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
If you're looking for a decent budget tablet, give Lenovo's line a look. I have two: an 8" for portable PDF reading (and GPS, but that's another thing) and a 10" for magazines, comic books, that sort of thing. They've been great, and didn't break my wallet.
I've had two Lenovo 10″ approx models. Both more expensive than the far better TCL Nxtpaper 11, though that is more expensive than Lenovo on UK Amazon. It's better than an iPad or €1200+ Samsung.
The Lenovo models inferior to Kobo Elipsa 10.3" for mono text but the TCL Nxtpaper 11 is better than the Elipsa even for mono text.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:03 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
If you're looking for a decent budget tablet, give Lenovo's line a look.
I'll second Lenovo tablets. They make very nice, inexpensive tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've had two Lenovo 10″ approx models. Both more expensive than the far better TCL Nxtpaper 11.
I was just looking at the TCL NXTPAPER yesterday. It doesn't look bad at all. But mostly seems like you could get the same effect with any tablet and a matte screen protector. But they are cheap.

I bought a Google Pixel Slate off of eBay. 12.3" screen, high resolution. Only issue is no SD card slot.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2024, 01:33 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'll second Lenovo tablets. They make very nice, inexpensive tablets.
Yes. Also the Yoga with broom-handle bulge at one edge is 10,000 mAH charge and amazing quality audio on built in speakers, better than any laptop I've used (1st was HP in 1998).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was just looking at the TCL NXTPAPER yesterday. It doesn't look bad at all. But mostly seems like you could get the same effect with any tablet and a matte screen protector.
I'm willing to buy such an add-on for 10″ Lenovo Tab 10 or RCA Juno 10 and take comparative photos if anyone has a link that ships to Ireland at reasonable price.

The makers do shiny because it's cheapest and over bright video looks good with controlled light so there are no reflections (misleading marketing).
Decent matt finish that isn't a coating (that only works for TVs) is either expensive plastic (eink screens) or very expensive micro-etched tinted glass. You need the tint to reduce reflections from lower layers in the display, so a matt layer on top of existing glass won't be as good as Nxtpaper, but will help.

Reflections can cause severe headaches as your eyes unconsciously change focus fro the close display info and the farther away reflected object or light.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:11 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm willing to buy such an add-on for 10″ Lenovo Tab 10 or RCA Juno 10 and take comparative photos...
For my previous tablet, the 12.2" Samsung Galaxy Note Pro (a very nice tablet let down by Samsung's lack of support or updates), I bought some matte screen protectors and thought they did a very good job of cutting the glare and making the screen feel like my e-ink screen.

I haven't seen a NXTPAPER screen in person, so don't know if there is a significant difference.

The pricing of NXTPAPER seems very good, though I haven't compared them spec by spec to a similar 'regular' Android tablet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 04:15 PM   #23
Readerfun
Readerfun began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
E-readers are much better for my eyes.
Readerfun is offline   Reply With Quote