Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #1
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
How is Kobo Libra 2 compared to Voyage

So I have owned a Voyage for so long, I did upgrade a couple of years ago with Kindle Oasis 2 at the time, while I liked the aesthetics and the bigger screen, the Oasis colors were grey instead of black and the words looked more blurry compared to Voyage.

From what I gather the Libra 2 has a good screen, does it look better than a Oasis ? and how does it compare to Voyage.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 03:09 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Better than all three Oases I've had. Not quite at the Voyage's level, but close.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 05:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
So I have owned a Voyage for so long, I did upgrade a couple of years ago with Kindle Oasis 2 at the time, while I liked the aesthetics and the bigger screen, the Oasis colors were grey instead of black and the words looked more blurry compared to Voyage.

From what I gather the Libra 2 has a good screen, does it look better than a Oasis ? and how does it compare to Voyage.
The Libra 2 is close to the Voyage but the software on the Libra 2 is a lot better then on the Voyage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:56 AM   #4
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
The Libra 2 has a very nice 7-inch 300ppi screen, while the voyage has a very nice 6-inch 300ppi screen. It's not exactly a 1:1 comparison.

However, the Oasis 2 has a pretty mediocre screen (IMHO the 11th gen Paperwhite has the overall best screen of all kindles) and the Libra 2 has a much better battery life. IMHO, the Libra 2 is a reasonable upgrade in those regards.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:37 PM   #5
cmoim
Enthusiast

I received my Libra 2 two days ago.

I certainly love it , the bigger size reminds me of the Oasis I had , but certainly Libra 2 doesn't look blurry when compared to Voyage unlike Oasis.

I have modded my Kobo with patches and added personalized menus , just like my voyage , I did jailbreak it even before I used it some 7 years ago , which is a neat feature.

The Kobo system is quite similar to Kindle for basic use, I hope there will be a way to add page numbers to the table of content and show the real number of pages from paperback versions though , that's the one thing I miss from the kindle.
Advert
Old 02-08-2024, 06:24 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The Kobo system is quite similar to Kindle for basic use, I hope there will be a way to add page numbers to the table of content and show the real number of pages from paperback versions though , that's the one thing I miss from the kindle.
There are at least 4 ways of having page numbers. A Calibre plugin method, hand coded (or from a publishing tool), Adobe and Kobo kepub page numbers. The Kobo numbers change according to font & margins. The Adobe ones are based on counting data, not paper edition.
Note paper editions can vary in page numbers and 3 different paperback versions isn't unusual apart from a large print edition, such as Initial Trade, Pocket/Mass Market and some other size.
I prefer % left in chapter and the thin bar showing book progress. However there are choices.
There is a setting to turn on Adobe page numbers, but it only works if an ebook has them.

So page numbers is depending on the ebook content/formatting, not actually the Kobo.

You can easily add page numbers in the TOC editor in Calibre to the TOC from a paper edition. Page numbers in the chapters is more complex and less useful.

Edit
See this post and thread here.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2024 at 06:57 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A Calibre plugin method
Is that from the Count Pages plugin? How would that work on a Kobo? Like this?
  • If page numbers from Calibre / publishing tool exist, then use them
  • If not, then use Adobe numbers
  • If kepub then use kepub page numbers instead
  • Optionally, show Adobe page numbers on the right-hand side

Or did I misunderstand?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:48 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
No, Kobos don't use Calibre page numbers.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:09 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post

Or did I misunderstand?
I have no idea as I'm uninterested in page numbers or number of pages on ebooks. They may be important for text books on courses. I might care about word count of book (but not when I'm reading it) or percent reading progress.

This is a frequent discussion with heated opinions.

I've seen PD fiction ebooks with embedded real page numbers visible in the text. I usually remove them with a regex if it's simple, or find a version without if it seems too awkward.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2024 at 12:14 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #10
cmoim
Enthusiast

I found a way to "add" Number of Pages to ToC for Kepub format but it will take a bit of time for the average user.

0.Consider I will most likely use the same font, size
1.First I send the book to my Kobo and acquire where each chapter is and note where each page is
2.Delete the book from the Kobo
3.Then I go to Calibre and put the page numbers alongside the ToC
4.Send the book back to Kobo

The overall process takes 5-10 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	44
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	206255   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	50
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	206256   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	48
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	206257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 19.21.23.png
Views:	48
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	206258  
Old 02-08-2024, 04:46 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Which paperback version? To quote from a message I posted in the Crazy Page Lengths thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at War and Peace on Amazon.ca, I checked a random selection of 4 paperback and 4 hardcover editions. The print editions show page counts of 1831 pages, 1440 pages, 1296 pages and 734 pages for the paperback editions and 1392 pages, 1399 pages, 1140 pages and 928 pages for 4 hardcover editions. Tell me about the ONE TRUE PAGE NUMBERS again...
And for this I didn't even bother to include a couple of trade paperback versions of War and Peace. At one point, I looked at 14 editions all of which had wildly varying page counts. Even for a newer book such as Random in Death, the US and UK hardcover editions have different page counts.

For the most part, the pagelist refers to the hardcover edition which is identified by the ISBN in the ePub OPF document.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:12 PM   #12
cmoim
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Which paperback version? To quote from a message I posted in the Crazy Page Lengths thread:
I understand there are different editions with different page count, having come from Kindle where page count is always static.

The reason I find page number important in Table of Content is I tend to calculate how much time I need to finish chapter.
Usually each 100 pages in a book takes me 3 hours to read.

Using the font size I tend to use, the Kobo number of pages I currently have , is close enough to most editions of the books I uploaded to my Kobo , so my 3 hours estimation should still be true.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:36 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can change the header and footer to Time left in chapter and Time left in book in Reading settings. They aren't all that accurate but close enough to be useful. My spouse prefers Percent of chapter read and Time left in book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:47 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I understand there are different editions with different page count, having come from Kindle where page count is always static.
If you use ePub instead of kepub, you will have static page numbers. Don't believe those page numbers will show in TOC though.

One thing to think about: If you use kepub, it will be one screen = one page. Yes, that means increasing or decreasing the font will change the page number. But once you settle into a book, you will quickly figure out how long it will take you to read a screen. So if it takes you a minute for a screen and there are fifteen pages left in the chapter, it will take you fifteen minutes to read.

That is what works best for me when I am reading under time constraints.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:53 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I found a way to "add" Number of Pages to ToC for Kepub format but it will take a bit of time for the average user.

0.Consider I will most likely use the same font, size
1.First I send the book to my Kobo and acquire where each chapter is and note where each page is
2.Delete the book from the Kobo
3.Then I go to Calibre and put the page numbers alongside the ToC
4.Send the book back to Kobo

The overall process takes 5-10 minutes.
And if you find you need to change any of the settings, your page numbers are off. However, if you do this for ADE type page numbers you can open the eBook in ADE on the computer, add in the page numbers and then send it to the Kobo and none of your settings will change the page number. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote