Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
ChrisAFC
ChrisAFC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2018)
Kindle Paperwhite (2018) - Does it work with disconnected battery?

Hello

Hope everyone is well

I'm attempting to fix my girlfriend's kindle paperwhite (2018 - 10th gen), and I haven't been able to find out an answer to this question, which would help me diagnose if it's due to a dead battery.

Backstory:

I've noticed over the past few weeks that her kindle battery gets to the point where it turns off and requires a charge. This seemingly happened once a week or so, which seemed much shorter than expected.

The last time this happened, it wouldn't turn on until we did a soft reboot. However, this time, a soft reboot does not work. There is also no charging light when plugging it in. I have tried many different cables, many different outlets, including computer (where it is not recognised by windows). Kindle is still stuck on low battery screen. I have re-attempted the soft reboot method by holding the power button for 40 seconds multiple times, but nothing has worked. This has been over the course of several days.

USB connected is not loose, and does not seem to have any debris in it.

I opened up the kindle, and disconnected the battery, hoping this would provide some clues as to whether it is a battery issue, or a bricked kindle/damaged usb port. There was no change though, and the screen was still stuck on the low battery screen.

My question is, can a kindle paperwhite 2018 operate with a disconnected battery whilst plugged in? If it cannot, then it would lead me to believe this is a dead battery issue. I want to find this info out before dropping around £25 on a new battery, but then realising it's not to do with the battery.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this online, so was hoping someone may be able to help, and it would be documented here for future people with the same issue.

Thank you in advanced.

TLDR:

Can a kindle paperwhite 2018 still operate with a disconnected battery whilst plugged into a power outlet, bypassing the battery?
ChrisAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly some Kindles don't work with no battery or a dead one. Replacement batteries (really cells) aren't expensive. The hard part is opening the case and some Kindles don't seem open.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert