Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
gael33
gael33 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Fire
Connecting to a Kindle Reader?

My late wife has ebooks on her Kindle Fire which I would like to transfer onto my Kindle reader... How do I do that? The reason for doing the transfer is that I want to give my granddaughter my late wife's Kindle but before I do I want to remove the books that I would like.

thanks, gael.
gael33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Can't pull them off directly from the Fire, they'd be unreadable. Did your wife have an eink Kindle as well? Did you share her Amazon account? If not, do you have access to your wife's account?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2023, 11:13 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A Fire was only called a Kindle Fire for short while. It's Amazon's version of an Android tablet and simply has an app like the Android Kindle App pre-installed. An old one is practically junk and you can't copy the Kindle ebooks off to anything else.

An eink Kindle on an account allows downloading to PC (Linux, Mac, Windows) from that account and then there are ways to read the ebooks, or you can deregister your kindle (if a real eink one) and register to your Wife's account and download.

Other possibilities exist. But a Kindle Fire isn't a Kindle and you can't reuse the kindle files off it on anything else.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:55 AM   #4
gael33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Can't pull them off directly from the Fire, they'd be unreadable. Did your wife have an eink Kindle as well? Did you share her Amazon account? If not, do you have access to your wife's account?
I really don't know about the different types of Kindle, all I know is that when it starts it says Kindle Fire. It's quite an old model and so I guess it's the model that is incompatible with the newer Kindles'.
Thanks for your reply as it is very helpful.

gael.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:03 AM   #5
gael33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A Fire was only called a Kindle Fire for short while. It's Amazon's version of an Android tablet and simply has an app like the Android Kindle App pre-installed. An old one is practically junk and you can't copy the Kindle ebooks off to anything else.

An eink Kindle on an account allows downloading to PC (Linux, Mac, Windows) from that account and then there are ways to read the ebooks, or you can deregister your kindle (if a real eink one) and register to your Wife's account and download.

Other possibilities exist. But a Kindle Fire isn't a Kindle and you can't reuse the kindle files off it on anything else.
Thanks for the information. I stopped her account after she died, so that route isn't available. Both her Kindle and mine are quite old and so I guess that compatibility issues would be a problem.
Thanks again for your help.

gael.
Advert
Old 08-04-2023, 08:05 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Even two new kindles the same model can't read each others ebooks bought from Amazon due to DRM. Even on same account. You have to separately download or connect.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gael33 View Post
Thanks for the information. I stopped her account after she died, so that route isn't available. Both her Kindle and mine are quite old and so I guess that compatibility issues would be a problem.
Thanks again for your help.

gael.
If the account is closed and your wife only had the Fire, there's no way to get the books off it. It's not about compatibility, it's about DRM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It's not a compatibility issue, it's an account issue. Kindle books belong to the account with which they were purchased. You'd need access to that account, and a Kindle or Kindle app registered to that account in order to be able to download them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:23 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Some publishers choose to make their books available without DRM. It should be possible to recover any of those books from a Fire tablet.

I suggest installing calibre and connecting the tablet and see whether any books can be imported from it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote