Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Angry Epub, Mobi -- what's the deal?

OK, I have read many of the threads here and it is difficult (at least for me) to understand completely what is happening here. I have hundreds of ebooks in MOBI format and have now converted most to EPUB. Apparently Amazon is removing support from MOBI according to a message emailed to me today from them when I sent to Kindle a MOBI file. Many other messages here indicate that they are removing EPUB support as well. But it is very unclear to me what exactly "removing support" means? Will sideloading of these files still work? You know, a trusty USB cable and drag and drop? Or sending by Calibre or Calibre Companion? Or by "removing support" do they mean the Kindles will no longer be able to access these files in their library? Files which they have always accessed before (and now)? This seems to me (as a present owner of Scribe, Fire Max 11, PW Sig, Oasis 3, and a previous owner of almost all other, earlier models) to be absolutely insane of Amazon. The degree of the insanity is what I am trying to determine.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon is removing support for sending MOBI format using the various send-to-kindle apps and web pages. MOBI will continue to work when sideloaded via USB. (Added: MOBI files sent using send-to-kindle prior to the cutoff can be saved in the user's account and can delivered to Kindles any time later with no cutoff of support in sight.)

EPUB is supported via send-to-kindle and will be converted to the appropriate Kindle format based on the target device: KFX for Scribes, KF8 for most other Kindles, MOBI for very old Kindles and the iOS app. This support is not going away.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-22-2023 at 12:41 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2023, 02:02 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
And they did this years ago on KDP uploading for publishing, so no surprise.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Thank you, this makes a little more sense to me now. Whoever wrote the letter from Amazon that goes to customers who send to their kindles a MOBI file needs a proofreader at the leadt the letter should additionally include the same info sent here.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote