Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #1
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Maintaining collections through folder structure?

I have several epub files, each belonging to specific categories such as Business, Creativity, Spirituality, etc., stored on my Windows laptop. Recently, I created a folder named 'GAME THEORY' within my Kindle's documents folder and copied the relevant books into it.

To organize these books on my Kindle Paperwhite, I tried creating a collection called 'GAME THEORY' within the Kindle's user interface, hoping that it would recognize the folder structure and display the files accordingly. Unfortunately, the books didn't appear in the collection as expected.

However, I discovered that if I directly copy and paste the epub files into the Kindle's storage, they show up without any issues, and I can read them just fine.

Considering I have around 8-9 folders on my laptop and a collection of over 200 books in epub and azw3 formats, I wish to maintain the same folder structure when transferring them to my Kindle device. Is there a way to achieve this, ensuring that the folders automatically appear as collections in my Kindle Paperwhite?
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:55 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm just curious as to how you are reading epubs on your Kindle Paperwhite. Is it jailbroken with KOReader installed? Or are you sending via a Send to Kindle service of some sort?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #3
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

No. I just copy paste the epub files through USB transfer. They are supported. Mine is 2022 version. I didn't jailbreak it.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird and wonderful. As far as I know, no version of the Kindle Paperwhite firmware supports rendering epub files.

Just tested on my Paperwhite 4 with 5.16.2.1 and it does not accept an epub as a valid document.

If you were using calibre, it would convert an epub on the fly when sending it to a Kindle but you seem to be saying that it works with copy/paste.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:39 PM   #5
archz2
Connoisseur

Okay. How do I make ebooks show up in category wise folders on my device? I am unable to figure out.
Advert
Old 07-21-2023, 02:33 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by archz2 View Post
Okay. How do I make ebooks show up in category wise folders on my device? I am unable to figure out.
Can't do it without jailbreaking.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:32 AM   #7
archz2
Connoisseur

Oh..Any way I can force Kindle to categorise my books into collections by just editing their tags in Calibre (based upon their folders/genre), or something like that?

P.S. I was wrong earlier. My device doesn't support dragged and dropped epub files. I realized I copied some files in azw3 format which were loading fine.

Last edited by archz2; 07-22-2023 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 04:37 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Nope.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:48 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh..Any way I can force Kindle to categorise my books into collections by just editing their tags in Calibre (based upon their folders/genre), or something like that?
You can do that with Kobos and Pocketbooks, but not with Kindles.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:17 AM   #10
archz2
Connoisseur

This sounds upsetting now. I don't want to void the warranty.

I have done rooting in Android phones a lot of times. I stopped caring about the warranty in those cases however because I had developed a strong confidence through experiences with temporary and reversible failures.

Adding almost 200 books one by one to different collection in Kindle is going to take a lot of time.
Old 07-22-2023, 05:25 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I have done rooting in Android phones a lot of times. I stopped caring about the warranty in those cases however because I had developed a strong confidence through experiences with temporary and reversible failures.

Adding almost 200 books one by one to different collection in Kindle is going to take a lot of time.
Try it with thousands...

If creating collections automatically is important to you, you could return your Kindle (if you still can) and buy a Kobo or a Pocketbook. On those you can manage all metadata automatically with Calibre, including collections.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I don't suppose it's still in the return period?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 10:08 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

This is why I changed to Kobo, as well as better Annotation support.

Many/most newer Kindle FW can't be jailbroken anyway. I've 5700 ebooks (about 90% PD) now on my Kobo Sage and a Collections column that works with any Kobo and old Sony PRS models. I read Amazon ebooks on the Kobo.

I have 3 Kindles and any Sync messes up their Collections.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 03:44 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Collections are completely unnecessary if you do not have more than a few dozen books on device (for me, it is generally less than a couple of dozen).

If you have hundreds or thousands on device, then you had better have a way to set them up with something like calibre.

I have something like 4500 books in calibre, 90% are in my Kindle library, downloadable in seconds. There is no system for organizing them that I am willing to spend any time maintaining, and I have no sense that it would be of any use to me even if it didn't take time. I have no issues finding something good to read quickly without such a system.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-22-2023 at 03:52 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 03:50 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Looking at my Clara HD, I currently have 14,408 books stored on it (it has a 128GB µSD card installed). I have no issues with finding books using search on author, title, series, etc. The only collection is use is labelled Finished. Search is not as speedy as when I have only 100 books but life is touch all over.

I tried putting a smaller number of books on my Paperwhite but it took so blasted long to index that finally gave up.