Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-17-2022, 12:56 AM   #61
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Is this "Companion" a server with an open port or are you using some ftp or ssh or something?
Calibre is a library management system on the PC that offers a content server port (8080) and a wireless connection port (9090).
Calibre Companion is an Android app that offers several connection options, but also book options - especially the comparison with the PC library and displays the books stock according to various selection criteria
With the wireless connection port you can easily do an inventory comparison on the PC and a synchronization of the metadata (if you change something in Calibre) is carried out automatically.

My problem is that I always want to have my entire library with me - even at the opera, for example, to read on my InkPalm5 during the breaks.

And I have more than 16,500 books in my library

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-17-2022 at 03:58 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:23 AM   #62
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding times:
In the internal file manager, I gave the order to delete all files (16558) in this folder. After exactly half an hour I interrupted: 16371 are left.
Conclusion: Tab Ultra took 30 minutes to delete 187 files

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-17-2022 at 05:26 AM.
Advert
Old 12-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #63
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Tab Ultra took 30 minutes to delete 187 files
Rome wasn't built in one day. My, you're mighty impatient.

Thanks for the info on the Calibre.
I'll bet your timeouts are due to the general delays of sdcardfs.

I've managed to kill sdcardfs completely.
There are some drawbacks, so let me be clear.
First, you must be rooted with Magisk or else r/w on /system
Apps with android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE or android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE can read or write /sdcard (i.e. there is no longer any distinction between the two permissions.)
Apps without either can not access /sdcard at all (which is what you want).
You will be able to create files with similar names (NAME and name) which might make problems with MTP.
Audio files will not get marked (owned) by media_audio, likewise graphic images.
The good part is that a problem with any of this shouldn't leave you dead.
You just won't have access to /sdcard until you fix it.

There are two files: /system/bin/sdcard and /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml
If you are willing, please post these two files so I can check them.

*** Hmm, this is not really a solution. The problem is with new files that are created. Previously sdcardfs took care of setting owner and permission. You'd need to tweak them yourself over rooted ADB. If you have an app that writes files it will be able to read them itself, but other apps won't be able to read them without tweaking. If you want a temporary solution until Onyx fixes this, this might be worth the trouble. You may have to "chmod 664 *" and "chown 1023:1023 *" to some sdcard directories later to clean things up. ***

Edit: Files that I sync with ADB end up root/root 644 which is good enough for me. My Notepad is the only app that writes files to /sdcard and it can read them and I can adb pull them off.

My times before weren't bad, but it knocked off another 0.16 seconds off the last run. It took a second or two to delete them afterwards (I forgot to time it.)
Code:
  26001  208002 1219148
    0m00.63s real     0m00.43s user     0m00.46s system

Last edited by Renate; 12-17-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:59 AM   #64
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Rome wasn't built in one day. My, you're mighty impatient.
Yes - impatience is my big problem
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Calibre.
And I found a solution:
In Calibre Companion you can set how the file names are assigned when saving:
And there is the possibility: first letter of the author's name/author's name/book title - author.
So only in the 3rd sub-level there are the books and the maximum directory entries are in the 2nd sub-level with the letter B (257 authors).
Old 12-17-2022, 11:48 PM   #65
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
This is crazy. It's a speed ratio of 500.

Ok, here's a boring test you can make to see if there is some threshold for when it gets slow.
I'm running it on my Poke3. I see that the "touch" file creation is pretty darn slow, but the "ls" seems fast (so far).

Here's the script. Copy paste it into alpha.sh
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

for a in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
do
i=0; while [ $((i)) -lt 1000 ]; do touch $a$i; i=$(($i+1)); done;
time ls -l | wc
done
Then:
Code:
C:\>adb push alpha.sh /data/local/tmp
C:\>adb shell
$ cd /sdcard
$ mkdir Test
$ cd Test
$ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
$ /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
Then go and make breakfast.
Hmmmm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate
This is really weird stuff. Whoever wants to report it to Onyx is welcome to include my script.
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.963]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

d:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb push alpha.sh /data/local/tmp
alpha.sh: 1 file pushed. 0.0 MB/s (178 bytes in 0.032s)

d:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb shell
BOOX:/ $ cd /sdcard
BOOX:/sdcard $ mkdir Test
BOOX:/sdcard $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
BOOX:/sdcard $ /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh: No such file or directory
1|BOOX:/sdcard $
alpha.sh
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

do
time ls -l | wc
done

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-18-2022 at 03:03 AM.
Advert
Old 12-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #66
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That could be a red herring. Did you "chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh"?
Does /system/bin/sh exist? (Maybe this is a 64-bit only build???)
Does /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh exist? (Maybe you didn't copy it?)
Old 12-18-2022, 06:24 AM   #67
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Does /system/bin/sh exist? (Maybe this is a 64-bit only build???)
/system/bin: access no allowed.
My device is not rooted.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:00 AM   #68
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
/system/bin: access no allowed.
My device is not rooted.
Huh?
Just delete that line in alpha.sh that says /system/bin and see what your Tab Ultra does with that.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:16 AM   #69
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Huh?
Just delete that line in alpha.sh that says /system/bin and see what your Tab Ultra does with that.
Code:
do
time ls -l | wc
done
Code:

d:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb push alpha.sh /data/local/tmp
alpha.sh: 1 file pushed. 0.0 MB/s (160 bytes in 0.031s)

BOOX:/sdcard $ mkdir Test
mkdir: 'Test': File exists
1|BOOX:/sdcard $ cd Test
BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ data/loca/tmp/alpha.sh
/system/bin/sh: data/loca/tmp/alpha.sh: inaccessible or not found
127|BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
: inaccessible or not found:
'data/local/tmp/alpha.sh[3]: syntax error: unexpected 'do
1|BOOX:/sdcard/Test $
127|BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
: inaccessible or not found:
'data/local/tmp/alpha.sh[3]: syntax error: unexpected 'do

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-18-2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #70
Renate
Wizard

Code:
$ echo $SHELL
Old 12-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #71
ottischwenk
Wizard

Code:
BOOX:/ $ echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
BOOX:/ $
Quote:
Code:
$ echo $SHELL
Old 12-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #72
ottischwenk
Wizard

Code:
 Windows [Version 10.0.22621.963]

BOOX:/ $ cd /system/bin
BOOX:/system/bin $ ls
TouchMisc.sh           idmap2                      recovery-refresh
abb                    idmap2d                     renice
acpi                   ifconfig                    requestsync
am                     ime                         resize.f2fs
apexd                  incident                    resize2fs
app_process            incident-helper-cmd         restorecon
app_process32          incident_helper             rm
app_process64          incidentd                   rmdir
appops                 init                        rmmod
appwidget              init.onyx.misc.sh           rss_hwm_reset
atrace                 init.onyx.sh                run-as
audioserver            inotifyd                    runcon
auditctl               input                       schedtest
awk                    insmod                      screencap
base64                 install                     screenrecord
basename               installd                    sdcard
bc                     ionice                      secdiscard
bcc                    iorap.cmd.compiler          secilc
blank_screen           iorap.cmd.maintenance       sed
blkid                  iorap.inode2filename        sendevent
blockdev               iorap.prefetcherd           sensorservice
bmgr                   iorapd                      seq
bootanimation          iorenice                    service
bootstat               ip                          servicemanager
bootstrap              ip-wrapper-1.0              set-verity-state
boringssl_self_test32  ip6tables                   setenforce
boringssl_self_test64  ip6tables-restore           setprop
bpfloader              ip6tables-save              setsid
bu                     ip6tables-wrapper-1.0       settings
bugreport              iptables                    sgdisk
bugreportz             iptables-restore            sh
bunzip2                iptables-save               sha1sum
bzcat                  iptables-wrapper-1.0        sha224sum
bzip2                  keystore                    sha256sum
cal                    keystore_cli_v2             sha384sum
cameraserver           kill                        sha512sum
cat                    killall                     showmap
charger                ld.mc                       simpleperf
chattr                 ldd                         simpleperf_app_runner
chcon                  librank                     sleep
chgrp                  linker                      sload_f2fs
chmod                  linker64                    sm
chown                  linker_asan                 snapshotctl
chroot                 linker_asan64               sort
chrt                   linkerconfig                split
cksum                  lmkd                        ss
clatd                  ln                          start
clear                  load_policy                 stat
cmd                    locksettings                stop
cmp                    log                         storaged
comm                   logcat                      strings
content                logd                        stty
cp                     logname                     surfaceflinger
cpio                   logwrapper                  svc
crash_dump32           losetup                     swapoff
crash_dump64           lpdump                      swapon
credstore              lpdumpd                     sync
curl                   ls                          sysctl
cut                    lsattr                      tac
dalvikvm               lshal                       tail
date                   lsmod                       tar
dd                     lsof                        taskset
debuggerd              lspci                       tc
defrag.f2fs            lsusb                       tc-wrapper-1.0
device_config          make_f2fs                   tcpdump
devmem                 md5sum                      tee
dex2oat                mdnsd                       telecom
df                     mediaextractor              test
diff                   mediametrics                time
dirname                mediaserver                 timeout
disable-verity         microcom                    tinycap
dmctl                  migrate_legacy_obb_data.sh  tinymix
dmesg                  mini-keyctl                 tinypcminfo
dnsmasq                mkdir                       tinyplay
dos2unix               mke2fs                      tombstoned
dpm                    mkfifo                      toolbox
drmserver              mkfs.exfat                  top
du                     mkfs.ext2                   touch
dump.f2fs              mkfs.ext3                   toybox
dumpstate              mkfs.ext4                   tr
dumpsys                mkfs.ntfs                   traced
e2freefrag             mknod                       traced_perf
e2fsck                 mkswap                      traced_probes
e2fsdroid              mktemp                      trigger_perfetto
echo                   modinfo                     true
egrep                  modprobe                    truncate
enable-verity          monkey                      tty
env                    more                        tune2fs
expand                 mount                       tzdatacheck
expr                   mount.ntfs                  ueventd
fallocate              mountpoint                  uiautomator
false                  mtpd                        ulimit
fgrep                  mv                          umount
file                   nc                          uname
find                   ndc                         uncrypt
flags_health_check     ndc-wrapper-1.0             uniq
flock                  netcat                      unix2dos
fmt                    netd                        unlink
free                   netstat                     unshare
fsck.exfat             netutils-wrapper-1.0        unzip
fsck.f2fs              newfs_msdos                 update_engine
fsck.ntfs              nice                        update_engine_client
fsck_msdos             nl                          update_verifier
fsverity_init          nohup                       uptime
fsync                  notify_traceur.sh           usbd
gatekeeperd            nproc                       usleep
getconf                nsenter                     uudecode
getenforce             od                          uuencode
getevent               paste                       uuidgen
getprop                patch                       vdc
gpuservice             perfetto                    viewcompiler
grep                   pgrep                       vmstat
groups                 pidof                       vold
gsi_tool               ping                        vold_prepare_subdirs
gsid                   ping6                       vr
gunzip                 pkill                       wait_for_keymaster
gzip                   pm                          watch
head                   pmap                        watchdogd
heapprofd              pppd                        wc
hid                    printenv                    which
hostname               printf                      whoami
hw                     procrank                    wificond
hwclock                ps                          wm
hwservicemanager       pwd                         xargs
i2cdetect              racoon                      xxd
i2cdump                readelf                     yes
i2cget                 readlink                    zcat
i2cset                 realpath                    zipinfo
iconv                  reboot                      ziptool
id                     recovery-persist
BOOX:/system/bin $
Old 12-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #73
Renate
Wizard

Well, that's an unusual change.
You can try the alpha.sh again with that line back in but only saying #!/bin/sh
I don't know what kind of shell that is.

Oops, we cross posted...

Maybe your shell is more picky. Try this:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

for a in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z; do
i=0; while [ $((i)) -lt 1000 ]; do touch $a$i; i=$(($i+1)); done
time ls -l | wc
done
Try with/without the "/system"

Last edited by Renate; 12-18-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #74
ottischwenk
Wizard

Code:

D:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb push alpha.sh /data/local/tmp
alpha.sh: 1 file pushed. 0.0 MB/s (173 bytes in 0.044s)

D:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb shell
BOOX:/sdcard $ cd Test
BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
/system/bin/sh: data/local/tmp/alpha.sh: inaccessible or not found
127|BOOX:/sdcard/Test $
and now with
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for a in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z; do
i=0; while [ $((i)) -lt 1000 ]; do touch $a$i; i=$(($i+1)); done
time ls -l | wc
done
Code:

D:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb push alpha.sh /data/local/tmp
alpha.sh: 1 file pushed. 0.0 MB/s (166 bytes in 0.029s)

D:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>adb shell
BOOX:/ $ cd /sdcard/Test
BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh
1|BOOX:/sdcard/Test $
D:\_Reader-Smartphone\ADB>
inaccessible or not found vs No such file or directory

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-18-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #75
Renate
Wizard

You forgot a slash.
Code:
BOOX:/sdcard/Test $ /data/local/tmp/alpha.sh