Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
rexbanner
rexbanner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Rooting Tab Ultra

Hi,

I've recently gotten myself an Onyx Boox Tab Ultra and I am now looking for ways how to root it.

I have succesfully rooted my Leaf 2 without any problem.

With the Tab Ultra however, the first problem already is, that I can't find any download link for the firmware, so I don't really know how to start.

Did anyone here root their Tab Ultra or has any hint where to start?

Thanks in advance!
rexbanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
First do this to see if they actually call it "Tab Ultra":
Code:
$ getprop|grep finger
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2022, 12:33 AM   #3
rexbanner

Thanks for your response, here's the getprop output:

Code:
▶ adb shell getprop | grep finger
[init.svc.fptoolfingerprint]: [running]
[ro.bootimage.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.build.version.preview_sdk_fingerprint]: [REL]
[ro.odm.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.product.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.system.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.system_ext.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.vendor.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
I also stumbled on https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxU...ment-704006389 and https://github.com/Hagb/GetBooxUpxKeysApp which gave me the following output

Code:
"MODEL" = "TabUltra",
"STRING_SETTINGS" = "zsb+9c4SzqrAnPkdtIaoKcw4r5gjLr+anKJDYlypaMR+",
"STRING_UPGRADE" = "yrX2h8weyduHDTK+oWbibAXbqBjGbDyEjeDb1pRRmkIl"
# fingerprint: ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys
With that, I tried to generate the link as described there but to no success.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #4
rexbanner

Thanks for your response. Output is:

Code:
$ adb shell getprop | grep finger
[init.svc.fptoolfingerprint]: [running]
[ro.bootimage.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.build.version.preview_sdk_fingerprint]: [REL]
[ro.odm.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.product.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.system.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.system_ext.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
[ro.vendor.build.fingerprint]: [ONYX/BOOX/BOOX:11/RKQ1.210614.002/200:userdebug/release-keys]
Using the tool linked from the decryptBoox update github page, I got the following strings:

Code:
"MODEL" = "TabUltra",
"STRING_SETTINGS" = "zsb+9c4SzqrAnPkdtIaoKcw4r5gjLr+anKJDYlypaMR+",
"STRING_UPGRADE" = "yrX2h8weyduHDTK+oWbibAXbqBjGbDyEjeDb1pRRmkIl"
Old 12-14-2022, 05:24 AM   #5
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
With the Tab Ultra however, the first problem already is, that I can't find any download link for the firmware, so I don't really know how to start.
Doesn't the device receive updates when you connect it to Wifi?
You can make a backup of the update.upx to your PC before installing it.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code:
"MODEL" = "TabUltra",
It's kind of weird that the model is not in the fingerprint unless we're supposed to take "BOOX" as the model.
I can't seem to find an update online yet. Maybe you'll have to wait a bit?

Maybe you should try to get EDL working and use that to pull the boot image?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Theoretically, the two new big ones use a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 which has the potential to do DisplayPort over USB Type C if they built it into the kernel.
Can you show the last (interesting line) from this:
Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Did you see any claim for or seen video output over USB Type C?
Old 12-14-2022, 07:11 AM   #7
rexbanner

Thanks for all your input and help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
Doesn't the device receive updates when you connect it to Wifi?
You can make a backup of the update.upx to your PC before installing it.
Unfortunatey I thought about this only after the update was complete...

Quote:
It's kind of weird that the model is not in the fingerprint unless we're supposed to take "BOOX" as the model.
I can't seem to find an update online yet. Maybe you'll have to wait a bit?

Maybe you should try to get EDL working and use that to pull the boot image?

Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Did you see any claim for or seen video output over USB Type C?
After seeing the fingerprint of other devices, I also found it a bit irritating that the model is not in the fingerprint...

Regarding EDL: I tried to do that, but it always hangs with a time out. From my very limited understanding it might be that I need to use another loader? However I have no idea which one?

I will post the cpuinfo output later as I don't have the tab with me at the moment. I did not see any claim regarding video over USB-C, but I have a USB-C monitor at home, so I can plug it in, and see what happens...
Old 12-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #8
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Regarding EDL: I tried to do that...
Well, then give us the HWID and the Hash. (Nothing private about those.)
Old 12-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I've recently gotten myself an Onyx Boox Tab Ultra and I am now looking for ways how to root it.
I would wait with that.
My Tab Ultra seems to have a bug in the file system:
Folder created with Calibre Companion then loads in internal file manager:
4,000 .epub files, ~2 GB - immediately
10,000 .epub, ~5GB - 3 minutes
16,000 .epub, ~ 8GB - 7 minutes
such values are unreasonable in my opinion.
Even Leaf 2 only needs ~ 10 seconds for the 16,000 .epub.

I am in contact with Boox regarding this.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-14-2022 at 10:53 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Oh, so you mean you're using an Onyx file manager app to list your files it takes 7 minutes to fill or 7 minutes for anything to appear? You've used (supposedly) the same app before on other Onyx and its performance was reasonable?

Are you running a logcat at the same time? There must be something showing there. Or even a "top" command.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
rexbanner

Quote:
Code:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
Is that the line of interest?
Code:
Hardware	: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc BENGALP-IOT
EDL gives the following HWID and Hash

Code:
HWID:              0x001740e100000000 (MSM_ID:0x001740e1,OEM_ID:0x0000,MODEL_ID:0x0000)
CPU detected:      "kamorta_IoT_APQ"
PK_HASH:           0xd40eee56f3194665574109a39267724ae7944134cd53cb767e293d3c40497955bc8a4519ff992b031fadc6355015ac87
Old 12-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It takes 7 minutes to see the content of this folder in Tab Ultra
It takes 10 seconds to see the content of this folder (same content as above) in Leaf 2.

Regarding logcat - I donot know. The only thing I see is the word "Laden" (loading) during the 7 minutes.

Im using the same content (Calibre Companion, 16.500 .epub) on:
- Poke 2/3 (2-3 seconds)
- Nova 2 (2-3 seconds)
- Leaf 1 (2-3 seconds)
- Note Air (2-3 seconds)

Last edited by ottischwenk; 12-14-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #13
Renate
Wizard

Have you checked the easiest stuff first?
Code:
$ cd BigDir
$ ls -l > /dev/null
That should be pretty quick.

What is it loading anyway?
Maybe it's a simple case of too much logging in the app?
Old 12-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Have you checked the easiest stuff first?
Code:
$ cd BigDir
$ ls -l > /dev/null
That should be pretty quick.

What is it loading anyway?
Maybe it's a simple case of too much logging in the app?
How can i perform this?
And where - in which app?
Old 12-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #15
Renate
Wizard

You do that in ADB shell. You don't have to be rooted to do that.
Code:
C:\>adb shell
$ cd BigDir
$ ls -l > /dev/null