Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Author Sort when Sending to Kindle

How can I send a book to my Kindle via email, and have it show the full author in the content and devices, yet be sorted by LN, FN in the device.

As it stands if I send a book with the author being FN LN, then the device sorts the author that way. Hoever it isn't listed in Content and Devices as FN LN or even LN, FN but it only shows the last name. I have a lot of books from Amazon and they show the full author in content and devices as well as sorting by author in the booklist on the device.

Is there some kind of workaround that will enable the docs sent to my device to show up as books?

Last edited by Rellwood; 01-06-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon expects author names to be stored in “last, first” format and sorts them that way. It displays them as “first last”. A comma is needed to enable this behavior.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whenever I send a book in the LN, FN format it will sort them on the device that way, however if I send it in the FN LN, then they sort the book by the first name. Not helpful when I have books from Amazon by the same author as a book sent to Kindle. Then they authors are all over the place.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon expects author names to be stored in “last, first” format and sorts them that way. It displays them as “first last”. A comma is needed to enable this behavior.
Ok, let me see if I am getting this right.

Currently, my books are sent like this

Title: Origin
Author: Brown,Dan

When I do this, it is shows as Dan Brown on the device, and is sorted by the last name.

However, on Content and Devices, the book shows as:

Title: Origin
Author: Brown, Dan - and the list only shows the last name.

All my documents only show the last name in Content and Devices.

When I send the book with the author being "Dan Brown", then it will sort the author as "Dan Brown" putting it in the book authors starting with "D", not "B". It will however, show the full author name in Content and Devices.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Yes. You can get it to display and sort correctly on the Kindle or on the web, but not both.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-06-2020 at 08:35 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Rellwood

Ah. I hear wah wah trombone.