Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
KA1 - can't get the auto sync to stay OFF!

I tried logging out and logging back in and it still won't stay off. Help!
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Did you add PeriodicAutoSync=false to firmware (per various discussions elsewhere)?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Did you add PeriodicAutoSync=false to firmware (per various discussions elsewhere)?

Trying to figure out how to do that now. I have no clue!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

I can't figure out how to access the files I need to edit them. I'm using a mac and when I plug the kobo in, I see the kobo there but there is "nothing" in it when I click on it
Old 09-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Catherine, Hook up your KA1 to your PC and use a text editor e.g. wordpad and add PeriodicAutoSync=false to the kobo ereader.conf file (in .kobo\kobo) under [ApplicationPreferences].
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
Plug your device into your computer and navigate to .kobo\kobo and open up Kobo eReader.conf Under the section [ApplicationPreferences] add the line PeriodicAutoSync=false
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Ok please forgive me if I look dumb. I'm actually quite comfortable editing files. I just can't find them! Kobo is plugged in. I click it in "finder" and I see nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	151593  
Old 09-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
On Macs the folders are hidden since Mac OS X is Unix based, much as Kobo is Linux. So the '.' before the folder name effectively hides the folder.

Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities

In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Press return

Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

to hide them replace 'YES' with 'NO' and repeat these steps. Note that this will cause the system to show folders you aren't really meant to go into. When in doubt if you do not know what a folder does on your Mac with this option enabled do not touch that folder.

There is no harm leaving this enabled as long as you don't delete or rename things that you did not create.

The folder you want on the Kobo drive is '.kobo'
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
On Macs the folders are hidden since Mac OS X is Unix based, much as Kobo is Linux. So the '.' before the folder name effectively hides the folder.

Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities

In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Press return

Hold the ‘Option/alt’ key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

to hide them replace 'YES' with 'NO' and repeat these steps. Note that this will cause the system to show folders you aren't really meant to go into. When in doubt if you do not know what a folder does on your Mac with this option enabled do not touch that folder.

There is no harm leaving this enabled as long as you don't delete or rename things that you did not create.

The folder you want on the Kobo drive is '.kobo'
Bingo! I would have never figured that out on my own. While I've coded an entire website by myself I never knew this about my mac and would have never known. So thank you very much!

I'm assuming, now that the auto-sync button under my settings shows as unchecked, it has worked?
Old 09-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard

You may need to sign your reader off and back on if you find that the syncing hasn't stopped (battery is still draining).
Old 09-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
You may need to sign your reader off and back on if you find that the syncing hasn't stopped (battery is still draining).
Ok good to know. I will see what happens after I read tonight then put it to sleep and what the battery % looks like in the morning.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Ok by sign off do you mean log out of my kobo account and log back in? Cause I did that (after noticing a 5% battery drop in 2 hours) and it seems to have undone the patch I did, again not allowing me to mark auto-sync as off.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Catherine, Hook up your KA1 to your PC and use a text editor e.g. wordpad and add PeriodicAutoSync=false to the kobo ereader.conf file (in .kobo\kobo) under [ApplicationPreferences].
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibletpie View Post
Plug your device into your computer and navigate to .kobo\kobo and open up Kobo eReader.conf Under the section [ApplicationPreferences] add the line PeriodicAutoSync=false
Thank you both for the helpful advice. Although the automatic sync didn't seem to be causing any battery drain on my device (I usually keep my wifi turned off and often have the ereader powered off when not in use), it was rather annoying unchecking a box only to find it checked again the next time I checked my settings.

Didn't even need to power my device off and on again for this command to jump into practice. The box is now successfully unchecked.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard

Catherine, With wifi on, on your KA1, go to <Settings> <Accounts> and sign out, then sign back in. It's a bit involved, including have to redo your firmware mod, but easily manageable.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #15
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!

Quote:
Catherine, With wifi on, on your KA1, go to <Settings> <Accounts> and sign out, then sign back in. It's a bit involved, including have to redo your firmware mod, but easily manageable.
Does it make a difference if you sign out with your wifi on or off? I signed out with my wifi off. Signed back in and redid the firmware mod. Do I need to do it again but this time with my wifi ON when I sign out? Trying to wrap my head around why this makes a difference, especially if I have to mod it again (not complaining just want to understand).

And how the heck do you people figure this stuff out in the first place. It's like "pat your head, rub your belly, jump up and down three times and say Salty Dog Salty Dog twice" that's pretty much what all this sounds like to me LOL