Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #46
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I've read Dune, the Foundation series, and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Dune is my absolute fav sci-fi book and series! I'll take it over anything done by Asimov and Bradbury.
You are going to be my new best friend. The six book Dune series, as written by Frank Herbert... not that garbage his son wrote, is my favorite sci-fi series. I've re-read it seven or eight times over the years. It was introduced to me in English class in high school and I enjoyed it so much I'd read the entire series before the assignment to read the first book was completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I have read Dune, 1984 and Foundation. Just out of curiosity, has anyone read later books of Dune series? I could not bring myself to read rest of the series as the characters got altered just too much for my taste.
I loved all six Dune books by Frank Herbert. The Dune books written by Brian Herbert... not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I've read 1984 and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell from that list; I can't say I ever thought of the latter as science fiction, though (seemed pretty straightforward alternative history fantasy to me, from what I recall).
Nothing at all sci-fi about it. Definitely fantasy, I don't know why it's on this list.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is, I think, a book will people will either love or hate. It's different, the story is meandering, there's almost no action, there's footnotes galore and the footnotes have their own footnotes (though the footnotes aren't fundamental to the story), the magic that occurs is fairly subtle, the humour is dry and witty. However, the prose is achingly beautiful, the dialogue is thick with subtext, and the story is brilliant. Reading it reminded me of driving leisurely in the country, occasionally pulling over to enjoy a breathtaking vista.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #47
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've read Cryptonomicon, Dune, 1984 and Foundation. I read some of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell but had to stop due to persistent attacks of mind-numbing boredom.

Cryptonomicon is one of my favourite books and I loved the Dune series up to God Emperor of Dune (Look! A talking worm!) which was just too much for me. One day I'll read it just so that I can finish the original series as apparently the later books are quite good. Foundation was good, but it didn't excite me enough to read the whole series and I liked 1984.

Of the books on the list I haven't read, I don't really know anything about them and they're not currently on my radar.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #48
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post

You are going to be my new best friend. The six book Dune series, as written by Frank Herbert... not that garbage his son wrote, is my favorite sci-fi series. ....
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1872
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #49
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
About that io9 article:

The list-maker is either trying to be meta or incorporating literature deemed relevant regardless of genre, as certain publishers and critics like to do when they decide to blur the stratification of levels of culture and taste.
Or maybe she just needed to pad one way or another to get to 10, and went with "let's drag in some tough stuff that borders on the genre."

They do different top 10s at least once per week, and there are always outliers in the lists.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #50
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've never even heard of six of the ten. I have read only 1984.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #51
Rockbobster
Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Handspring Visor, Vtech Helio, Dell Axim x50v, Jetbook Lite, HTC Eris
I would prefer to put Pat Frank's Alas Babylon on the list. It was published in 1959, and is a period piece while still holding up well in many respects. It is the story of a nuclear war, and the aftermath for survivors in a small Florida town. I read it over 30 years ago, and visited it again this year, finding it to leave an impression now as much as it did then.
Rockbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #52
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
*Raises hand*

I missed out on it at the time it would have been considered groundbreaking. And now ... I frankly fear that it wouldn't hold up in comparison to some of the works that it broke ground for—many of which I have read. I've found that when I read something (for the very first time) is oftentimes just as important as what I read. Notice how many brand-new, young fantasy fans are left scratching their heads at why so many of their elders bow to the temple of Tolkien? They've already read many of the stories that took what he started and ran with it.
It's a pretty good book I reread it every so often. The sequels are unmitigated crap however.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
at http://io9.com/5924625/10-science-fi...ally-read-them

It's mostly (relatively) old/classic titles, so that should please the traditionalists here :P
"Davy"? "I Robot"? "A Canticle for Liebowitz"? "Farnham's Freehold"? "Stranger in a Strange Land"?

Some of the books in the original list. . . well, classics that should be read? I'm not so sure. Replace some of them with the books in my list and I think you'll have a better a better list and more fun reading.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #54
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Read: Dune, Foundation, 1984, First & Last Men
Not read: Cryptonomicon, Gravity's Rainbow, Jonathan Strange, Dhalgren, Infinite Jest.
Not sure: Long Tomorrow (I have read a lot of Brackett, not certain)

I did read Dune but only after four or five attempts; be wary of any novel that has to include maps, a glossary and a who's who. Have not read any of the sequels. A friend of mine says he didn't have any trouble reading it, but he read it when it was a serial in Analog magazine so he had the advantage of reading the synopsis before each installment!

Last edited by Mike Hobart; 07-15-2012 at 06:42 AM. Reason: format
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #55
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It's a pretty good book I reread it every so often. The sequels are unmitigated crap however.
Dune? I would say that certainly Messiah and possibly God Emperor were better than the original.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #56
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Oh, those are OK. . .

Those were the 2nd and 3rd books weren't they? As Dune sequels, they were OK but the quality REALLY dropped after that. Of course that was about the time Frank Herbert died. And the publishing industry doesn't let a little setback like death stop the revenue flow (not for Herbert and not for Ian Flemming either)!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #57
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Messiah was #2 and very much stood on its own. God Emperor was #4 and more dependent on the mythos but still fairly self-contained. Children of Dune was #3, and had less going on in its own right, mostly just bridging the gap between Messiah and God Emperor. Frank Herbert wrote two more books after God Emperor which pretty much just carried on with the world he'd created without particularly going anywhere. After his death, his son Brian Herbert cashed in, churning out dreck based on "found" manuscripts/outlines/dinner napkins. You really can't lump the original works together with what the son did.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #58
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read Cryptonomicon. Good book especially if you're a hacker or into cryptography.

I read 1984 in highschool Thought it was pretty good.

I've been on page 64 of Dune for...oh...over 25 years now. BOOORING! Sorry.
The movies sucked too. IMHO, of course.

Foundation, I've tried to start a few times, but while I like Asimov's short stories and non-fiction essays, I've always had problems with his novels. If I can score a Foundation audiobook, I might try it again.

I haven't read any of the others, and except for Gravity's Rainbow, I don't think I'd even heard of them.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #59
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hobart View Post
I did read Dune but only after four or five attempts; be wary of any novel that has to include maps, a glossary and a who's who.
Doesn't that describe 90% of all fantasy novels?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #60
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
And the publishing industry doesn't let a little setback like death stop the revenue flow (not for Herbert and not for Ian Flemming either)!
Some of the post-Flemming Bond stuff is really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Doesn't that describe 90% of all fantasy novels?
Hm...that could explain why I don't like most fantasy either.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote