Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 10:34 AM   #1
Fawn_S
Fawn_S began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Darwin/Magellan opinions? Esp. on side buttons

Hi all, posting also on r/Onyx_Boox, I hope that's OK.

I'm looking to replace my old Kindle Voyage. I really want my new reader to still have page turn buttons on both sides and the Boox Darwin/Magellan seem to fit the bill, but the photos make it look like a single button on each side. Is it like a volume button where the upper end goes to the next page and the lower end to the prev? Or does the right button only go forward and the left back? I would also appreciate any general opinions on these devices, esp. on making the switch from the Amazon ecosystem.

Additionally, I'm really confused by all the different model names that appear on different "official" sites. So far I found 3 official looking sites: shop.boox(dot)com, onyxbooxusa(dot)com, and onyxboox(dot)com, the latter linking to ectaco(dot)com for US shopping.

I found the Magellan and Darwin 9 on onyxbooxusa and on ectaco but not on the others, are those sites legit? (I can provide direct links in the replies.) I'm not from the US/Europe and have family traveling to the US at mid-April, so I need reliable shipping but won't have the option of returning so not bothered about that.

Thanks!
Fawn_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:46 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Everything in sales/marketing of Onyx/Boox drives me crazy.

shop.boox.com is the mother ship.
Currently they are not showing US stock on the Poke5 (their flagship "normal" ereader).

The other outlet has had a wacky assortment of redundant models.
I think that the Darwin, Livingstone, Volta are being phased out.

I don't like any buttons (ok, a power button is ok) on my devices.
I use a Bluetooth "keyfob" clicker with my Poke5.
Yeah, it seems ridiculous to use a remote control on something two feet away.
But this gives you flexibility on hand placement, especially under the bedcovers.

In previous ereaders I had a wired button box and even that was a great leap forward.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:33 PM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
onyxboox(dot)com was taken over by the Russian distributor after the original US distributor went out of business several years ago. onyxbooxusa(dot)com (which I hadn't seen previously) appears to be the same bunch.

This Russian distributor has long had a practice of releasing (multiple) variants of core Boox models under different names. I can remember buying a 'Monte Cristo' model that was a variant of the 'Kepler'. I believe the 'Darwin' are (or at least were) a variant of the (long discontinued) C67 series -- and (visually at least) the Magellans seem to be the same. You may be able to find reviews here or elsewhere under that name.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote