Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I guess some are just naturally rougher/more careless with their devices than others. Not consciously, it's just the way they are.
Years back, I had a co-worker who broke screens on a routine basis. We were issued iPads as tablets. They managed to break the screen on at least 4 of them. Perhaps not using the issued case (it was too heavy in their opinion) and tossing the iPad into their laptop bag in a pocket with tools and their set of work keys might have had something to do with it (our keyset could have been easily used as a weapon). Sadly, they ended up being terminated when our manager found their last iPad with a broken screen in a box where a new iPad from our spare stock should have been.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:00 AM   #32
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Paper-thin glass substrates are subject to shattering when the frame has been slightly flexed, as opposed to being dropped or some impact. A flexible substrate makes that less likely.
Probably what happened. I always make sure to put the e-reader on top on my stuff in my main bag while cyclotouring, but there's still a bit of pressure after closing it.

Like I said, the screen on the Pocketbook broke twice while the Bookeen has been working fine for the few years I've been travelling with it.
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:46 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The iRiver Cover Story (not the HD model, I have no idea about it), stupidly had a cutout in the alloy chassis for the lithium cell. Thus that was between rear cover and the eink substrate. The screens on those crack at rear when the battery is older as LiPoly cells swell.

All the current Kobos, and some older ones, seem to have a ribbed alloy chassis that covers the entire back of the screen, with simply ribs missing at battery location. So a swelling battery cell will at worst push the plastic back. Also adds protection from flexing.

I know someone that has twice broken a mobile phone screen by walking into a pavement bollard.

The Kobos won't withstand being stood on screen up, or something large dropping on screen, or sat on etc.

I'm not sure how long term durable / stable the plastic substrate is/was compared to glass (e.g. Forma vs Sage).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote