Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2023, 09:15 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But that wasn't your original argument.

No matter. I can't get all that exercised about this. It'll be annoying if the other tools for managing books currently available through content and devices disappear (although as mentioned upthread, I don't expect them to go), but Amazon's always been very clear about a high wall to their garden and even more so lately. Being shocked, shocked that download & transfer no longer will work is pointless. To be clear, I'm not saying that that's the reaction here overall.
I would have thought anyone could have figured this out that if Amazon still caters for the old Kindles by allowing downloads that it benefits us.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:56 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would have thought anyone could have figured this out that if Amazon still caters for the old Kindles by allowing downloads that it benefits us.
Implication duly noted. Thanks!

Again, your argument was that Amazon was pissing off a tiny group of people who hadn't upgraded from ancient devices despite a very nice incentive when they were obsoleted. So that's not what you really were saying; it was some convoluted attempt to disguise the motives of the vast hordes who use download and transfer despite not having an ancient device by playing the violin for those who do.

Anyway, to address your assertion, it doesn't benefit me. I stopped downloading Kindle books eons ago.* I can't be the only one and I assume the vast majority of Kindle customers never did. The mantra here at MR is that anyone who doesn't back up their purchases is a chump (which would also apply to me). So.... I don't get it. Purchased books have been backed up and now it's time to buy elsewhere? Fun to talk about, though, and it's always good to know what's going on.

*I still buy them, as recently as this morning on the last day of the bonus points promotion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Again, your argument was that Amazon was pissing off a tiny group of people who hadn't upgraded from ancient devices despite a very nice incentive when they were obsoleted.
Note that many international customers have never gotten any of those incentives - no discount from a new device has ever been available in my country and I guess in a vast majority of countries except the US and maybe UK.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:19 PM   #34
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
My last batch of purchases was a month ago.
I bought 3 books today and I still do not see the link for the new "My Library" page.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #35
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I brought this up on another Kindle group, and nobody there can see it either. It appears that @odamizu really is the only beta tester
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #36
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
... Does it appear on all purchased books for you, or only recent purchases? ...
All purchased books. I checked the Amazon web page for an ebook I purchased in 2010, and at the top it said: "You purchased this item on October 12, 2010" and the links that followed included "view Your Books".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I brought this up on another Kindle group, and nobody there can see it either. It appears that @odamizu really is the only beta tester
Oh geez. I feel really weirded out now. The page is clearly labelled as beta and it appears to be a gradual rollout, so hopefully more people will see it soon — unless Amazon decides to kill it.

Quote:
... I stopped downloading Kindle books eons ago.* I can't be the only one and I assume the vast majority of Kindle customers never did.
I think it's true that most Kindle customers don't use Download & transfer via USB, or even know what it is. I also think most Kindle customers don't care about DRM and are content inside the Amazon eco-system.

Honestly, if Download and transfer were removed, I would probably still buy from Amazon because I like Whispersync for Voice. But I would probably do more borrowing from my public library and reserve purchases (still from Amazon) for books either the library doesn't have or which I don't want to wait for or that I think I will read again, etc. I doubt I would switch to another bookseller at this point.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Honestly, if Download and transfer were removed, I would probably still buy from Amazon because I like Whispersync for Voice. But I would probably do more borrowing from my public library and reserve purchases (still from Amazon) for books either the library doesn't have or which I don't want to wait for or that I think I will read again, etc. I doubt I would switch to another bookseller at this point.
As long as the Android method for DRM removal still works, I'll continue to buy an occasional ebook from Amazon (Amazon has never been the only place to buy ebooks for me, so I'll not need to do any major switching over). The moment it's no longer possible to remove the DRM by any means, I'll stop buying from them. Not only because I want to back up my purchases; I also want to edit the formatting, which is not possible with DRM intact. The ability to edit the css/html is an absolute must-have for me; I won't read an unedited ebook, because I won't be able to enjoy it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:10 PM   #38
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
What Kindle for Mac beta? And how does one get it? (I've been running Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 since it came out.)

You don't need to wait until your next purchase. Go to the Amazon page of any book you have already purchased. At the top, where it says "You purchased this item on such-and-such date" I get a link to my Your Books page. See if you have a link there, too.
Nope, not seeing this, just the usual link to Manage Your Content and Devices.

I got an email invitation for the beta. I cannot seem to find it now, but will keep looking. Currently it only runs on Apple Silicon Macs.

In February, they posted this link on Twitter (@AmazonKindle): http://bit.ly/3RUJjWc

I don't know if that still works.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-15-2023 at 09:53 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:29 PM   #39
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
...I got an email invitation for the beta. I cannot seem to find it now, but will keep looking. Currently it only runs on Apple Silicon Macs.

In February, they posted this link on Twitter (@AmazonKindle): http://bit.ly/3RUJjWc

I don't know if that still works.
Thanks! Given a choice of beta testing the new Your Books page and a new Kindle for Mac, I am much more interested in the latter
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:23 PM   #40
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Still showing in beta mode and not active for me yet
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:19 PM   #41
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Quote:

this is where I am now too with Amazon ebook purchasing and I do use my public library a lot. Wouldn't it be nice if Overdrive/Libby had something like Whispersync? I seem to remember they had a few kids books with a similar feature to support immersion reading for developing readers. My forays into non Amazon readers would likely end too..

dang it: I can't get the quote thing right AND I can't delete my post ugh..

Last edited by issybird; 07-31-2023 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Fixed tag.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote