Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Disable page turning due to finger slide?

I have a habit of sliding my finger across the phone screen while reading books or any text as it helps to read faster.

But on my Kindle paper white, when I do the same thing, the page turns. In Moon Reader Pro app on Android, there was a setting that allowed disabling page turn due to finger slide and the pages only used to turn on tapping the right and left edges of the screen.

How can I do the same thing in Kindle Paperwhite? Currently I keep my finger in air and move it beneath the text to avoid page turning but it's a dirty workaround that doesn't solve the issue fully.
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There is no way to disable swipe to turn pages. The latest Paperwhite has a Disable Touchscreen feature, but it does the opposite of what you are looking for: it means you must swipe to turn pages, while touching screen does nothing.

You could perhaps use a proxy for your finger to trace the screen (e.g. a pen with the tip retracted) and then use a fingertip to turn pages with a tap.

Alternatively you could put a guitar finger pick (I.e. one that slips on the end of your finger) on your tracing finger, and use a different fingertip to activate page turn.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-27-2023 at 03:25 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:17 AM   #3
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. What is your way of reading? Do you use any such aids or read without them?
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:43 AM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You might try increasing the font size and especially the line spacing until you don't need to trace the screen to keep your place anymore. If the line spacing is too close, I can't keep track of which line I'm on, and I'd probably have to trace, too.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:09 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You might try increasing the font size and especially the line spacing until you don't need to trace the screen to keep your place anymore. If the line spacing is too close, I can't keep track of which line I'm on, and I'd probably have to trace, too.
Line spacing can't be too close on a Kindle.

Seriously though, it's entirely possible the OP needs a wide spacing to read comfortably. Another option is to use larger margins. Many people find it easier to keep track with a more column-shaped text.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by archz2 View Post
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. What is your way of reading? Do you use any such aids or read without them?
The Kindle apps have Immersion Reading (highlights text with audiobook playback) and a Reading Ruler option. I use the first a lot and the latter occasionally.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-28-2023 at 06:36 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote