Notices

Old 07-11-2023, 01:11 PM   #1
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
no more EPub for Kindle after all ?

Hello.
I still send nearly all of my "documents" to Kindle, using Send-to-Kindle (latest version, as far as I know), as Mobi files - while it lasts, this is fine wih me, considering the EPubs take forever to be converted and appear on the device and in the cloud.
But sometimes (e.g. when EPub size is smaller and under 50 Mb while Mobi is above that limit) I do send EPubs.
Lately, I noticed that whenever I try to send an EPub, I immediately get this : "The file type is not supported."
Not that it bothers me a lot, because as I said, I do prefer using Mobi files. But does anyone else encounter this ? And does anybody know what causes this, and what consequences it has on the contantly repeated policy of Amazon to warn you that Mobi files will not be accepted any more (without any specific date) ?
Thanks a lot in advance for sharing your experience with that and enlightening me about what causes it and what it means....
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:05 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It would help if you posted the version you are running. I have had no problems with ePub myself but usually use the web browser Send To Kindle. I have not experienced it taking that long unless there is a very large Table of Contents. Also it is the only format that provides Scribe with KFX personal document ('enhanced typography' features), and it seems likely other Kindles will start getting this at some point as well.

I presume you have access to the web browser send to Kindle?

https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle (for US at least)

It supports up to 200 MB files.

It could be an issue with ePub formatting.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-12-2023 at 02:14 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:46 AM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Does the epub pass epubcheck?

Why not sideload via USB, don't need any software if you already have a mobi.
Or use Calibre to convert and load epub via USB.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:52 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Does the epub pass epubcheck?

Why not sideload via USB, don't need any software if you already have a mobi.
Or use Calibre to convert and load epub via USB.
If the Kindle can handle KF8, that's the format to use via calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I just tested by sending 6 epubs using the Send to Kindle app. All 6 went through and showed up almost immediately when I synced a PW5. The sizes varied from 600K to 9MB.

How long is the delay that you are referring to as "forever"?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 03:57 AM   #6
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
We were actually discussing this back in May. Send-to-Kindle Win Update Killed .epub

Version 1.1.1.254 is working for me.
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 05:50 AM   #7
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Hello.
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't seen this had been discussed - but not resolved, except by resorting to a (non free) uninstalling device and then re-installing a former STK version (which I think I don't have).
Answering the other questions :
- I do have the latest version (1.1.1.255), which is the one causing the issue obviously ;
- the delay for EPubs to show up in the cloud and on a Kindle was about 10 minutes, often longer when it was a large file, which is way too long to check whether things worked correctly if you send 50 docs at the same moment for instance ;
- no KFX for me, thanks (virtually none of what I send is originally in KFX anyway), no USB sideloading (because documents not available through Amz cloud then), and no sending by e-mail (because author's name never correct for e-books, my own user name appearing instead of author's).
So I'm stuck with that now and can only hope the usual "will not accept Mobis any more" threat will not become true any time soon.

Last edited by Jacques Q.; 07-13-2023 at 05:52 AM.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Hello.
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't seen this had been discussed - but not resolved, except by resorting to a (non free) uninstalling device and then re-installing a former STK version (which I think I don't have).
Answering the other questions :
- I do have the latest version (1.1.1.255), which is the one causing the issue obviously ;
- the delay for EPubs to show up in the cloud and on a Kindle was about 10 minutes, often longer when it was a large file, which is way too long to check whether things worked correctly if you send 50 docs at the same moment for instance ;
- no KFX for me, thanks (virtually none of what I send is originally in KFX anyway), no USB sideloading (because documents not available through Amz cloud then), and no sending by e-mail (because author's name never correct for e-books, my own user name appearing instead of author's).
So I'm stuck with that now and can only hope the usual "will not accept Mobis any more" threat will not become true any time soon.
You do not want to convert to Mobi and then to KF8. You want to start with ePub and then convert to KF8. You will lose features and your eBook might not look correct if you use Mobi instead of ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 02:23 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
We were actually discussing this back in May. Send-to-Kindle Win Update Killed .epub

Version 1.1.1.254 is working for me.
For me as well.

That said, I prefer using Web Send To Kindle, as I can monitor progress there.

I did have issue on MacBook Air (M1) but after uninstall and reinstall it works again. However there is no Finder context menu option, or printer driver.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-18-2023 at 12:10 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote