Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
slonopotamus
slonopotamus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Looking for Kindle Previewer < 3.49 installer

Hi!

Does anyone still have Kindle Previewer installer older than 3.49 that you could share? The reason I am looking for it is because newer versions no longer open .mobi files.

Thanks in advance.
slonopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Internet Archive has links to various older Kindle Previewer versions. Here is a link that will give you versions from 2020:

https://web.archive.org/web/2020*/ht...rInstaller.exe

The November 27th snapshot is version 3.48.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonopotamus View Post
Hi!

Does anyone still have Kindle Previewer installer older than 3.49 that you could share? The reason I am looking for it is because newer versions no longer open .mobi files.

Thanks in advance.
Eh, what? Oh, do you mean old, MobipocketCreator or Calibre-type MOBIs? MOBI KF7? Because we build MOBI files--the dual mobis with file extension .mobi--all the time and KP opens it just fine, including the latest version.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Eh, what? Oh, do you mean old, MobipocketCreator or Calibre-type MOBIs? MOBI KF7? Because we build MOBI files--the dual mobis with file extension .mobi--all the time and KP opens it just fine, including the latest version.
I was noticing that 3.50 will no longer open mobi files that I downloaded from Tor. Admittedly, I mostly use KP for testing though I admit to getting a chuckle when reading the "We recommend using EPUB format for publishing new titles and updating previously published titles. Please use a valid EPUB file for publishing".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was noticing that 3.50 will no longer open mobi files that I downloaded from Tor. Admittedly, I mostly use KP for testing though I admit to getting a chuckle when reading the "We recommend using EPUB format for publishing new titles and updating previously published titles. Please use a valid EPUB file for publishing".
Hi:

I'm confused. We've dl'ed 3.50 and it opens the files fine. It simply pops up a message. ??? No block, not "do not pass go, do not collect $200."

Do you mean that it WON'T open the files or that it nags you and says use ePUB?

Hitch
Old 01-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mean that it WON'T open the files or that it nags you and says use ePUB.
When for example, I try to open the Tor freebie of The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett by dropping it on Kindle Previewer, I get a Kindle Previewer does not support this file.... message (see attached image). Dropping a mobi file that does open (The Haunting of Tram Car 015 for instance), I get the We recommend using EPUB popup. Seeing as Amazon does not support epub on their ereaders or apps, I find it humourous that they recommend that format for creating/editing ebooks.

So to answer your question, both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_previewer.png
Views:	446
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	184691  
Old 01-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
When for example, I try to open the Tor freebie of The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett by dropping it on Kindle Previewer, I get a Kindle Previewer does not support this file...
That book was a Phoenix Pick in 2016. Are you sure that you got it from TOR?

(All of the TOR freebies I have tried work for me.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That book was a Phoenix Pick in 2016. Are you sure that you got it from TOR?

(All of the TOR freebies I have tried work for me.)
You are correct. It was a Arc Manor/Phoenix Pick freebie of the month in Dec. 2020. Weirdly, the title of the email says October for October, November and December.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
When for example, I try to open the Tor freebie of The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett by dropping it on Kindle Previewer, I get a Kindle Previewer does not support this file.... message (see attached image). Dropping a mobi file that does open (The Haunting of Tram Car 015 for instance), I get the We recommend using EPUB popup. Seeing as Amazon does not support epub on their ereaders or apps, I find it humourous that they recommend that format for creating/editing ebooks.

So to answer your question, both.
That must be either a Calibre, or even older, MBPC book. I don't have this problem at my shop, where we build MOBIs either a) from ePUBs that we've done, or b) by using zipped HTML folders, or c) some combo of that. I mean, I want to be clear, we're building our files effectively using Kindlegen or KP3.x.

The only time I've seen anything like that is when I get customers coming to me to revise (much older) books and when I pop them open, I almost invariably see "Calibre" in the CSS.

I have also see kluged-from-MBPC-PRC files fail, too. I mean, originally were Word, then PRC and then reprocessed to earlier MOBI. Those seem to fail pretty soundly too.

What's inside? When you unpack that sucker, what's it say?

Hitch
Old 01-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
That must be either a Calibre, or even older, MBPC book.
The only time I've seen anything like that is when I get customers coming to me to revise (much older) books and when I pop them open, I almost invariably see "Calibre" in the CSS.

What's inside? When you unpack that sucker, what's it say?

Hitch
I unpacked the mobi file and found the following line in the content.opf:

Code:
<dc:contributor>calibre (0.7.47) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
The GitHub releases list doesn't go back that far but a Google search came up with a release date of Feb. 2011. I suspect that was the current version when the file was first created and it has never been updated. It is newer than the first version of calibre I installed a few months after I joined MobileRead. Time flies when you're reading books...

Last edited by DNSB; 01-11-2021 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was using Calibre back when it was called LibPRS500. Because of that, I bought the SOny Reader PRS-500. It meant I was able to easily convert the LIT eBooks I bought (was able to remove the DRM).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:46 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was using Calibre back when it was called LibPRS500. Because of that, I bought the SOny Reader PRS-500. It meant I was able to easily convert the LIT eBooks I bought (was able to remove the DRM).
Relevance?
Old 01-12-2021, 12:53 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I unpacked the mobi file and found the following line in the content.opf:

Code:
<dc:contributor>calibre (0.7.47) [http://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
The GitHub releases list doesn't go back that far but a Google search came up with a release date of Feb. 2011. I suspect that was the current version when the file was first created and it has never been updated. It is newer than the first version of calibre I installed a few months after I joined MobileRead. Time flies when you're reading books...
AYUP, thar it is. That's what I see every time I get an email with someone saying that a mobi won't open, or they can't do this or that. I mean...Calibre OR MBPC or some of the other third-party doodads we've seen over the last decade.

Man, you're right. How time flies...I just realized that I have...man, at least 500 PRC-cum-MOBI files here that were built "back in the day" using MBPC. OUCH. (Thank GOD that my first "employee" helped me learn how to make ePUBs. Jesus. The thought of that number being worse... )

Hitch
Old 04-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #14
slonopotamus
slonopotamus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Hitch
I mean this is what Kindle Previewer 3.51 says if I try to open KF8 file with it:

This is the file itself: https://github.com/slonopotamus/dyck...mple-book.mobi

Last edited by slonopotamus; 04-03-2021 at 08:52 AM.
slonopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonopotamus View Post
I mean this is what Kindle Previewer 3.51 says if I try to open KF8 file with it:

This is the file itself: https://github.com/slonopotamus/dyck...mple-book.mobi
You don't need any older version of Kindle Previewer. The problem is that the eBook is a Mobi format eBook and not KF8. You can use Calibre to convert it to KF8 if you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote