Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
kool
kool began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500; iPad; K3
Kindle 3 - Firmware update

Is it true that Amazon is releasing firware update for K3 (mainly for crashes/freeze issues few units have faced).
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have seen a few posts by reputable people stating that they were approached by Amazon to test 3.0.1. I think people who posted about freezing issues were contacted by Amazon, provided the beta firmware upgrade and were instructed to leave wifi/3G turned on so that Amazon support could monitor. This was from posts on the Amazon.com boards.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Let's hope so. I received my wi-fi Kindle 3 yesterday and it has crashed/rebooted by itself about 8 times now .
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiren View Post
Let's hope so. I received my wi-fi Kindle 3 yesterday and it has crashed/rebooted by itself about 8 times now .
Does it make a rattling noise?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Does it make a rattling noise?
It doesn't make any noise.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
It doesn't make any noise.
Ah okay. People in the other thread have mentioned that their Kindles make a rattling noise and they also appear to crash more often. Not sure whether that is an actual correlation or they're just unlucky.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
mine has frozen twice and rebooted once in three days, but I have no rattle, I don't think they are related. I heard about the update earlier this morning, great to know it is being addressed so quickly
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Mine has only crashed twice, but I turned off sending info to Amazon, that remembers page index and all that. Have not crashed since but the time between the first and second crash was pretty long.

I was just reading a book, not going online to look at websites or anything like that.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Mine crashed several times and rebooted when I first got it. It has now been trouble-free for 5 days. It may have been an indexing problem. I did load about 50 books and lots of samples in a 2 day period, so maybe I was over stressing the poor thing. I was surprised to find out how long it took to index my books -- it wasn't as if I was loading hundreds. On the other hand, there was The Count of Monte Cristo, The Bible, a cookbook etc. so some pretty long-winded tomes.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Similar problem here

Quote:
Mine K3 was fine until I took a walk to Chruch with it in my pocket. Then it started spontaneous reboots every time I turned it on.

It didn't return to normal until I put it flat on a table for half an hour when I returned home.

I contacted Amazon and they are sending me a replacement to reach me this Wednesday.

If the second one does the same, then I will conclude its a firmware problem.

I'll know that by next Sunday.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If the second one does the same, then I will conclude its a firmware problem.
I have no idea how you'd conclude a firmware update fix would something which is caused by the Kindle being shaken. Nothing in the Kindle 3 cares about orientation as it doesn't have the accelerometer that the DX has so it doesn't even know what orientation it is in.

If shaking your Kindle causes it to reset then it is a hardware issue. If it happens again then you're just unlucky and got another bad Kindle as a replacement. Somebody on this forum is apparently on their 3rd Kindle already because they're really unlucky and keep getting bad ones.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thankfully, my K3 hasn't crashed or rebooted except while using the browser. For just reading it's been rock steady.

Hoping I didn't just jinx myself.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
DThor
DThor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I got mine friday and had a single lockup earlier today. The '15 second hold' reset fixed it, and it found all the existing books and they still belonged to the correct collections. I have been in an experimental fury since getting it Friday installing lots of books, using calibre, email sending, purchasing, making collections, even trying 'mangle' to convert manga and using the 'hidden' picture feature to view it. I don't feel particularly shocked that it's locked up once under that pressure, compared to how it will likely be used for most of it's life - reading one book at a time. Hopefully Amazon is on it anyway and we'll be seeing a patch soon...

DT

P.S. Oh, and no rattle here...
DThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Hopefully, the update will fix it, although I've only had one crash/reboot episode so far. But it's nice to see that it might be fixed at some point. Unlike my Sony which threw tantrums all the time.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I'm having quite regular crashes - no rattles or anything. Looks like software to me. Twice it has locked up and needed several holding-downs of the power button for >15s to make it do anything. In between it works fine. Lots of other less extreme crashes (i.e. where it reboots itself).

Not had it happen on straight page turns - tends to be when moving the cursor for dictionary look-up or to follow a reference.

Hope they release some fixes soon. I checked that all the indexing had finished, and these are all subsequent to that.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote