Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
toki08
toki08 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3, nook glowlight, PRS-T1, PRS-350
EPUB output justification

I apologize if this has been covered, but I did not find what I was looking for in my searches. And this is my first post...

My father sent me a Word document of his manuscript and I wanted to convert it to an EPUB. I saved it as a .RTF file and imported it into Calibre. Then, I converted it to a .EPUB file with the option to justify. When I viewed it within the Calibre EPUB viewer, it looks fine; justification worked as I had hoped. However, when I send it to my PRS-700 and view it there, I still see it as left-aligned.

Am I missing something? Is there something I need to strip out of the .RTF? It was justified already. I suppose I could try removing the justification before converting it with the justify option.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
toki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Some of the sony reader models dont support justification in epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As Kovid says, your 700 doesn't support full justification in ePub's. AFAIK only the 900 pays attention to how an ePub's justification is coded.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
toki08
toki08 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3, nook glowlight, PRS-T1, PRS-350
Thanks for the quick response.

So it's as simple as that, huh? Some models (like perhaps the PRS-700) don't support justification in .epub files. What a bummer. I had never noticed that before since I have a big mix of different formats. I had assumed I had been reading mostly .epub files, but I guess that wasn't the case. I'll probably do a spot-check to verify this.

By the way, Calibre is awesome. It's so much better than that lame Sony library software.

Thanks again.
toki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The good news, Toki, is that left aligned text (at first so apparently different from the justified text we've become used to as treebook readers) very soon isn't even noticed and seems natural. Personally, I prefer left-aligned text in digital versions because justification can often create ugly and sometimes even confusing spacing anomalies unless particular care has been taken in a justified file to individually left-align those lines that justification corrupts this way. Many publishes, I'm afraid, don't go that extra inch. Good to have your new company, by the way. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Is there a way to change the default for the ePub conversion so I can convert all ePub conversion to left justify? Thanks
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
Is there a way to change the default for the ePub conversion so I can convert all ePub conversion to left justify? Thanks
Preferences
Output options
common options (puldown for choices)

Note: these are the defaults for NEW conversions. Prior conversion remember the settings that were used.

To reconvert: use the Convert button and change any setting OR uses the "Restore the defaults" (really "Restore to the CURRENT defaults") button to reset the saved (book) setting.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences
Output options
common options (puldown for choices)

Note: these are the defaults for NEW conversions. Prior conversion remember the settings that were used.

To reconvert: use the Convert button and change any setting OR uses the "Restore the defaults" (really "Restore to the CURRENT defaults") button to reset the saved (book) setting.
Looked there, did not see any options for the Justify, thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Looked there, did not see any options for the Justify, thanks
It hides
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JutifyorNot.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	64395  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Maggie-Me
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It hides
Dah... "Common Options" not "Output Options"

thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Dah... "Common Options" not "Output Options"

thanks
Oop! my bad.. I knew where to go and even had the screen in front of me

Tags
epub, justify