Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
CONNECT software chokes on big RTF file

First I converted a PDF to RTF (using Abbyys PDF Transformer) - the resulting RTF was around 45MB.

I then imported the RTF into the CONNECT software (w/o a problem) and tried to transfer it to my Reader. This didn't work. The CONNECT software became unresponsive, CPU usage was 99%, memory usage was between 350-580MB... only a kill through the Windows Taskmanager solved the problem.

Looks like a huge bug to me. Luckily the Reader did not suffer from this.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It has been reported before that the maximum size RTF file that Reader is able to handle seems to be around 12-13MB. I'm sure if you split the file up into 4 pieces it'll be OK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll try this, thanks Harry.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the file is so huge I'm guessing it's got pictures in it. RTF, as an "ASCII" file format, stores pictures in an astonishingly inefficient way; a 100kb picture can increase the size of the file by many MB. Since Reader doesn't show pictures in an RTF file, if the file has pictures you'll be able to make the file dramatically smaller by deleting them.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You also might try opening the file in WordPad and saving it -- that seems to decrease my files' sizes by around 30% ... of course it also strips off all the Meta Data.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
You also might try opening the file in WordPad and saving it -- that seems to decrease my files' sizes by around 30% ... of course it also strips off all the Meta Data.
Or save it as Word6.0/95 .doc and then save it back to RTF.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
I was converting Gutenberg texts to RTF using a Word macro someone posted here (works great, btw - though I had to use my office PC for it... I'd tried an OpenOffice macro I could use on my home PC with more mixed results - why can't OO do a simple search/replace for the equivalent of ^p???). I'd routinely get output for, say, a 700kb text of over 1.7MB - crazy increase! That's more than double! Went for the "save using WordPad" and it would often be less than the original Gutenberg file (since it removed a tonne of line break characters). I'd have to put the metadata back in manually, but that wasn't much of a pain.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't messed with the HTML versions of the PG texts, I've just been grabbing the RTF/TXT ones -- is there an advantage to the HTML versions that I've missed ('cause I haven't looked)?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
For Gutenberg files FangornUK's converter should work better, I think.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I haven't messed with the HTML versions of the PG texts, I've just been grabbing the RTF/TXT ones -- is there an advantage to the HTML versions that I've missed ('cause I haven't looked)?
They tend to be much more nicely formatted than the plain text versions, with bold and, italic text where appropriate, centred titles, etc. I always download HTML versions of PG books where they are available, then load into Word and convert to RTF in the usual way.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well butter my backside and call me a biscuit! The italics and bold alone are worth messing with it for.