Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video: 17 minutes with E-Ink head of Marketing

Here's a video interview with Sriram Peruvemba at the Freescale Technology Forum in Orlando. He shows off the plastic unbreakable and bendable e-ink screen and talks about the status of e-ink technology in the market.

Source: ARMdevices.net

The plastic screen, integration with the Freescale i.MX508, all that means lower cost sub-$100 e-readers, some that are basically unbreakable, that you can drop on the floor safely, that can be put in the bag without leather case, the e-ink based screens can then also more likely be used by children in school.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
any talk of availability?
Sorry, do not have access to youtube.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
feelfine
feelfine began at the beginning.

Device: iliad book edition
It is almost the same as plastic logic videos that I have been watching for almost as long as a year. And where is the que at the moment ? I find it all quite exciting but as long as there is no device on the market that prooves the technology is mature enough for end-customers I am not going to belive any talk about affordable plastic e-readers. I do not even want especially affordable. I just want to see any of those plastic readers anywhere to buy. And all that we have got is those boring interviews. I am really tired of those ...
feelfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfine View Post
It is almost the same as plastic logic videos that I have been watching for almost as long as a year. And where is the que at the moment ? I find it all quite exciting but as long as there is no device on the market that prooves the technology is mature enough for end-customers I am not going to belive any talk about affordable plastic e-readers. I do not even want especially affordable. I just want to see any of those plastic readers anywhere to buy. And all that we have got is those boring interviews. I am really tired of those ...
Right, the Que was SUPPOSED to be available yesterday. But looks like that's not gonna happen.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Yeah... start talking about colour, higher contrast, and no ghosting. Then I'd be interested again. The development is going nowhere it seems. All talks.

And why the focus on bendable? They want their customers to swat flies with their einkscreen? I don't hammer on books.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Yeah... start talking about colour, higher contrast, and no ghosting. Then I'd be interested again
In this video they indeed show higher contrast and color screens:
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
dedo
Enthusiast
dedo doesn't litterdedo doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR800
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
And why the focus on bendable? They want their customers to swat flies with their einkscreen? I don't hammer on books.
Because screens would be less fragile...
dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Good videos, I'm posting them for my CS summer students!
(I teach college computer science)
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
color production is coming later in the year
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfine View Post
It is almost the same as plastic logic videos that I have been watching for almost as long as a year. ..
well its the same only that the substrate is plastic. Plastic Logic makes plastic transistors- its a whole other ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Right, the Que was SUPPOSED to be available yesterday. But looks like that's not gonna happen.
worse than that
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/p...cancels-pre-o/

Thank you charbax, i dont find the interviews boring at all.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a 17 minute interview with the Vice President of Marketing at E Ink about the future of their technologies and how they feel they compete with the iPad.

Last edited by Charbax; 07-03-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
reederman
Banned
reederman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
E Ink Holdings Inc. is also working to deploy E Ink to render text on devices other than e-readers, Taiwanese CEO Scott Liu, 61, says. Imagine a device the size of a credit card with a small screen that runs on E Ink technology and can be used for more than two years on a single battery charge. That is the future, Liu says, and other products could include smart cards, mobile phones and so-called “smart surfaces,” which will have multi-touch interfaces that allow several users to work on one device at the same time.
see full story here in Taiwan media today:

http://taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/ct.as...em=107226&mp=1
reederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard

i think they just missed it Charbax- its front page now
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
talk talk is very good . slow to market will kill them
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Thanks for the article link! I'd rather read about this than watch a video.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, eink