Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Error on import

This is the error message I'm getting.

"ERROR: Adding failed: The add books process seems to have hung. Try restarting calibre and adding the books in smaller increments, until you find the problem book."

I'm trying to add one book that is about 4MB in HTML. No images.

I tried re-starting Calibre and importing but that didn't work. I'm not sure how much memory is needed to import long ebooks?

Any advice would be appreciated. In the past I used to be able to import large ebooks without problem so I'm not sure if this is a problem due to upgrading to the newest Calibre 6.45.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
This is the error message I'm getting.

"ERROR: Adding failed: The add books process seems to have hung. Try restarting calibre and adding the books in smaller increments, until you find the problem book."

I'm trying to add one book that is about 4MB in HTML. No images.

I tried re-starting Calibre and importing but that didn't work. I'm not sure how much memory is needed to import long ebooks?

Any advice would be appreciated. In the past I used to be able to import large ebooks without problem so I'm not sure if this is a problem due to upgrading to the newest Calibre 6.45.
I'm betting it has less to do with size and more with what code might be inside.

Can you currently add other books?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm betting it has less to do with size and more with what code might be inside.

Can you currently add other books?
Yes I can add other ebooks to Calibre. I'm not doing anything weird to the code in the file. I converted it to html using WordPerfect's plain HTML option and then removed the unnecessary html tags.

It's as plain as it's going to get. The story is however about 800k words long. I also noticed with other files that get about that length Calibre sometimes takes them and sometimes doesn't.

I can check the HTML again to see if I find any unenclosed tags? I'm not sure what kind of code would produce this error message.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes I can add other ebooks to Calibre. I'm not doing anything weird to the code in the file. I converted it to html using WordPerfect's plain HTML option and then removed the unnecessary html tags.

It's as plain as it's going to get. The story is however about 800k words long. I also noticed with other files that get about that length Calibre sometimes takes them and sometimes doesn't.

I can check the HTML again to see if I find any unenclosed tags? I'm not sure what kind of code would produce this error message.
You've exceeded my minimal knowledge. Hopefully someone will step in to help out.

If you were using Word I would say to save it as Filtered HTML but it sounds like that is what you're doing.

You can try saving it as some other format and converting that or ... if you can save it in one of the following formats
Quote:
* Rich Text Format documents (RTF)
* MS Word 6.0/95/97/2000/XP/2003 documents (DOC)
* MS Word 2007 documents (DOCX)
* OpenDocument documents (ODT)
* Atlantis Encrypted Documents (COD)
* MS Write documents (WRI)
* Plain text documents (TXT)
then consider downloading the trial version of Atlantis Word Processor and save it straight as an ebook (epub).

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Try Open Office (it is free), I use it to convert Word to HTML

Note. I have had Calibre baulk at odd characters (odd dashes).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Try Open Office (it is free), I use it to convert Word to HTML

Note. I have had Calibre baulk at odd characters (odd dashes).
Corel WordPerfect gives cleaner code than Open Office. I'll have to see if the story has any dashes, that's about the only thing that might make it stand out from other stories. Since I used WordPerfect for the other stories and used the same plain html option...

Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You've exceeded my minimal knowledge. Hopefully someone will step in to help out.

If you were using Word I would say to save it as Filtered HTML but it sounds like that is what you're doing.

You can try saving it as some other format and converting that or ... if you can save it in one of the following formats
then consider downloading the trial version of Atlantis Word Processor and save it straight as an ebook (epub).

Good Luck.
Well I'm currently kind of happy with Corel WordPerfect (the code it produces is not nearly as messy as Word filtered, html, or Open Office)

The main problem is that I'm still stuck on LRF as my perferred format. Though it's tempting to get Atlantis and output to epub and then import that to Calibre and convert to LRF...

Thanks for trying to help.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@amalthia. Sometimes HTML has bugs in it that can cause parsing to hang. Can you keep an eye on the memory/cpu usage of your computer when you are importing the html to see if it is indeed one of these problems.

Another was to get more detailed debug output is to run the import from the command line as

calibredb.exe add "C:\path to the\html\file.html"

Or you could just opena ticket and attach the html file in question
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@amalthia. Sometimes HTML has bugs in it that can cause parsing to hang. Can you keep an eye on the memory/cpu usage of your computer when you are importing the html to see if it is indeed one of these problems.

Another was to get more detailed debug output is to run the import from the command line as

calibredb.exe add "C:\path to the\html\file.html"

Or you could just opena ticket and attach the html file in question
Last night I decided to zip the file before I uploaded it to Calibre and it worked perfectly.

It also converted to LRF without problems. However, I am curious to see why I had to zip the file first in order for Calibre to import it so I'll do as you suggested with the debugging.