Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
confirmed: Kindle for ipad

News release from yesterday, talking about the Kindle for Blackberry application:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....301&highlight=

"Amazon's Whispersync technology saves and synchronizes a customer's bookmarks across their Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone, iPod touch, PC, BlackBerry and soon, Mac and iPad, so customers always have their reading material with them and never lose their place."

This should put to rest the fears that Amazon would pull the Kindle app for apple devices.
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post

This should put to rest the fears that Amazon would pull the Kindle app for apple devices.
I thought the fear was that *Apple* wouldn't allow other reading apps besides iBooks.

Good news, thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The fear was that Apple has blocked applications from the App Store for duplicating the "core functionality" of the iPhone. Even if Amazon announces they're developing Kindle for iPad, that doesn't mean that Apple will let it into the App Store.

Having said that, the fact that the gadget news sites are indicating the Apple iBook app will be a free download from the App Store and not included in the iPad firmware means Apple doesn't see it as "core functionality" and will likely not restrict alternatives.

And ebook reading not being a core function of the iPad fits well with a CEO who said that "people don't read anymore" when talking about the Kindle 2 years ago.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Did you notice during the ibook demo at the iPud launch that the feature that impressed Mr J and the crowd the most was the animated page turn. That should sell at least one ebook.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
Did you notice during the ibook demo at the iPud launch that the feature that impressed Mr J and the crowd the most was the animated page turn. That should sell at least one ebook.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Oh that is BRILLIANT. This was one of my main concerns about iPad and about the future of e-books in general (devices locking in customers and locking out competition).

So now I know for certain my Kindle books will continue to work on my iPhone and soon, my iPad. This also means I can continue to buy from Amazon and there will be competition between itunes and Amazon price wise.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know why people think this is a big surprise. Apple said that all the apps in the app store would work with the iPad so the Kindle app was going to work no matter what...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I dont know why people think this is a big surprise. Apple said that all the apps in the app store would work with the iPad so the Kindle app was going to work no matter what...
Sure, but I was looking forward to an app specifically designed for the iPad and figured it would come out. The iPhone app would work, but you'd have to double-size it making the text look pixelated and not crisp. I'm looking forward to this (okay, looks I just might give my Kindle 2 to my girlfriend and get the iPad, lol).
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordan View Post
The fear was that Apple has blocked applications from the App Store for duplicating the "core functionality" of the iPhone. Even if Amazon announces they're developing Kindle for iPad, that doesn't mean that Apple will let it into the App Store.
The odds of a giant and budget-conscious company like Amazon not clarifying this point with Apple before expending developer effort on an app strikes me as extremely low.

Then again, Google did it. And got burned before they finally got their way.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
The odds of a giant and budget-conscious company like Amazon not clarifying this point with Apple before expending developer effort on an app strikes me as extremely low.

Then again, Google did it. And got burned before they finally got their way.
I don't know that this is so much a fumble on Google's part, as much as a dick move on Apple's part.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
lol!!!
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post
I dunno: this press release is from Amazon, not Apple. When Apple confirms it, then I'll believe it. Until then, this could just as easily be Amazon trying to softly strong-arm Apple into approving their app by making a preemptive public release about it. Apple is the one who has the final say.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
No, their specific statement was "most" apps would work on the iPad.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
No, their specific statement was "most" apps would work on the iPad.
Well, you are right there
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I still waiting for Kindle for Mac. when will it be available ? Anyone ?
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote