Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #31
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
BTW,

I see everyone referring to the mobi support using the prc filetype. Will it also read .mobi files?

Thx
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
The EZ-Reader will read the following file formats:
ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), <snip>
FYI: ADE is not a format. The ADE viewer in the EZ Reader is used for the ePub and PDF formats. (Perhaps others too.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
The ADE that is there at the moment for the V3 looks to be the basic ADE SKU. We are excepting updated firmware as soon as the developers have the time to make the updates. I would think that even the first firmware release of the Sony's did not have it right the the first time.

Chuck
Actually, Sony did get it right. The only thing missing from Sony's ADE is full justification. The reason it's not there is that when Sony implemented ADE, ADE did not have full justification. But that being said, other than that, Sony surely did get it right. Internal hyperlinks work fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #34
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), PDF, TXT, PDB, DOC, HTML, FB2, LIT, MP3, EPUB, PRC, WOL, CHM, PPT, TIF, PNG,GIF, RAR, ZIP, DJVU, JPG, BMP, with future support for Ereader DRM which is my preferred format (the only other reader that is available and says they will support Ereader DRM is Eslick).

The Mobi/PRC is non DRM.

I actually prefer how FB2 looks. Does Sony Support FB2?

Not supporting Mobi/PRC in its non DRM format is in my opinion a negative.
OK, highlighting the ones that Sony's Readers also have in red, that leaves:
  • DOC: Haven't seen a eBook in DOC, but any WP will convert to TXT; and DOC is a legacy format anyway, what no DOCX?
  • HTML: Same as above, any WP converts, so anyone with a Sony's got that one too
RAR & ZIP: Not seen as eBook formats, these are just compression utilities that wrap a valid eBook format
DJVU, TIF and PPT: Visual formats for looking at pretty pictures, but no utility as an eBook format.
WOL, CHM, FB2: Can you even FIND a eBook in this format? Not one of the top ten eBook merchants carry this format, so unless you subscribe to some George Noory Double Secret Probation Newletter that is ONLY published in one of these formats, they are doing nothing but wasting ROM/RAM on your reader.

That leaves onlytwo formats on the Ezreader that are the useful difference from what the Sony devices offer: PRC/MOBI and LIT

LIT: Nearly abandoned except there is a HUGE amount of content from MS Reader's early attempts to digitize books. Calibre has level this playing field entirely, if the Ezreader can read it, the Sony owner is about 12 seconds behind in converting, loading and reading the same content.

PRC/MOBI: This is where it gets interesting. Granted Ezreader can load this, but not at the same time as the ePub firmware, right? So if you claim PRC/MOBI you can't claim ePub (or vice versa). I don't think lack of PRC/MOBI is such a loss, its easily converted, the ePub format continues to be improved and PRC/MOBI use is declining (except in Kindles) since Amazon is strangling the installation base.

That actually leaves one other very popular and widespread format not covered on both machines: Sony's LRF/LRX which Ezreader doesn't have, and can't even gain access too since it isn't an easy format shift. That is quite a deficit for the ezreader that there is so much LRF formatted content available that the Ezreader can't get to at all. And all the other major/popular formats not directly available on the Sony are an easy format shift (THANK YOU CALIBRE!).

You mention one future format that is your favorite and we'll just have to disagree there: eReader, the Palm Data Base format that is very long in the tooth with no growth potential. I was anxiously awaiting B&Ns re-opeing of their ebook store and SO disappointed that they elected to remain in the 1980s.

I don't own either device, Sony or Ezreader, but having carefully studied the specs I can say I'd accept an Ezreader as a gift, but if I'm spending MY money, it'll be the Sony over the Ezreader every time.

Now before we start a flamin', I sense you truly enjoy your device, and so what else matters? If you feel justified in your purchase, and have a pleasant consumer experience, I'm proud for you and I'm glad you and other are willing to live a little more on the edge with electronics by purchasing from lesser known but agressively growing electronics manufacturers and systems integrators. That helps me by forcing the big and well known names in the industry to continue pushing their capabilities and decreasing their price point. You help me by liking your device, so I like that you enjoy your Ezreader. But I'm willing to pay the premium for a rock solid consumer experience from a polished product delivered from one of the 800 lb gorillas in the field. And that's why they make Ezreader Yugos and Sony Camrys.

Last edited by pking36330; 09-01-2009 at 11:55 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #35
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
From Sony's website about supported formats: Micrsoft® Word, (Conversion to the Reader requires Word installed on your PC) . That would cover .doc and/or docx.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does this mean that the V3 and clones are all using the same buggy ADE code?
I don't think "buggy" is the right word to use. Is the fact that the Jinke devices don't support hyperlinks any more of a "bug" than the fact that the Sony doesn't support full justification is?

Yes, all the Jinke devices currently have this limitation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #37
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
... and that's why they make Ezreader Yugos and Sony Camrys.
Them's fightin' words.

I can believe Sony makes good readers, and I believe that many of you are satisfied with them. For me, I don't have a lot of trust or belief in Sony as a company. It's possible that they've got their mojo back with their ereader, but I definitely don't see them as an 800 pound gorilla in regard to many (most?) of their other products any more.

Head-to-head the EZ-reader competed with the 505, and now that its been replaced with the 600 and the Daily Edition, I don't think there is a direct comparison until the next-gen EZ-reader 6 inch arrives in October or so.

However, the 5-inch models are ready for comparison, and here I have a hard time agreeing to your Yugo/Camry comparison. The Sony is clearly stripped down, and the EZ Reader's spec's are superior. Now I admit that the question of quality is still open. Not because I've heard anything negative about the V3, but just because we don't know enough about it yet.

I'm not ready to award any great accolades to the PocketPro yet -- although I did think it was a safe enough risk to pre-order one. However, the bottom line is that I'm far from convinced that the Yugo in this contest isn't the Sony.

Last edited by emellaich; 09-02-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #38
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
WOL, CHM, FB2: Can you even FIND a eBook in this format? Not one of the top ten eBook merchants carry this format, so unless you subscribe to some George Noory Double Secret Probation Newletter that is ONLY published in one of these formats, they are doing nothing but wasting ROM/RAM on your reader.
I can find lots, and lots of books in fb2 format. Fb2 is very popular in certain parts of the world. Fb2 is very interesting e-book format because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The FictionBook format does not specify the representation of a document, describing its structure instead. For example, there are special tags for epigraphs, verses and quotations. All the ebook metadata, such as the author name, title, and publish information, is also present in the ebook file. Hence, the format is convenient for automatic processing, indexing, and ebook collections management. Moreover, it allows automatic conversion into other formats.
------------Edit--------------
Check this Hanlin V5 review from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mneme View Post
I discovered, however, that fb2 files have a settings sub-menu (which doesn't appear to exist for any other file formats) where you can set default font face, font size (not zoom), spacing between the lines and a few other things. I wish V5 had these options for other file formats ...
------------End of Edit -------------

Chm is even more interesting. It is true, you do not find fiction books in chm format, but there are huge amounts of computer literature, reference manuals and other interesting materials in chm format.

Wolf format is proprietary format used by early reading devices made by Jinke, so it is very important for compatibility with libraries some loyal Jinke customers accumulated over the years.

Last edited by kacir; 09-02-2009 at 07:03 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
FB2 is very popular for Russian books, and Wolf for Chinese books. Do bear in mind that eBooks exist outside the English-speaking world!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), PDF, TXT, PDB, DOC, HTML, FB2, LIT, MP3, EPUB, PRC, WOL, CHM, PPT, TIF, PNG,GIF, RAR, ZIP, DJVU, JPG, BMP, with future support for Ereader DRM which is my preferred format (the only other reader that is available and says they will support Ereader DRM is Eslick).

And RTF?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #41
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And RTF?
DOC files up to version 6.0 Microsoft Office were in fact just rtf files. So if you rename rtf file to .doc, any application that claims doc support will accept it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
However, the 5-inch models are ready for comparison, and here I have a hard time agreeing to your Yugo/Camry comparison. The Sony is clearly stripped down, and the EZ Reader's spec's are superior. Now I admit that the question of quality is still open.
To keep with the car analogy. Many years ago I was shopping for a new car. We were at a car dealer that sold Mazdas and Hundais. We had a target price in mind, and for the same price the Hundai Elantra was loaded, power everything. So, we bought the Elantra. Well, this was the first year for this car, and I have to say it was a POS.

Sure, it had power windows, A/C, and cassette tape in the stereo, etc. But, it basically fell apart within 3 years. It was no where near as well built and dependable as the Mazda 323 I had just sold with 100k miles on it, zero service needs but PM and 1 set of new brake pads.

Now, I'm not saying the EZ Reader is a POS. But, I am saying that just because a device ticks alot of feature boxes doesn't mean it is a better device or a better buy.

But, as you say, the "quality" issue is very important.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #43
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
First off, the EZ reader is not a 'new' device. It's simply a Hanlin v3, rebranded by an American distributor. The Hanlin v3 has been around since 2007, and they've produced more versions for years before. It's a solid device with years of development and service.

If you are simply referring to the Pocket Pro (v5), then yes, it is new, but so is the Sony 300.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #44
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
To keep with the car analogy. Many years ago I was shopping for a new car. We were at a car dealer that sold Mazdas and Hundais. We had a target price in mind, and for the same price the Hundai Elantra was loaded, power everything. So, we bought the Elantra. Well, this was the first year for this car, and I have to say it was a POS.

Sure, it had power windows, A/C, and cassette tape in the stereo, etc. But, it basically fell apart within 3 years. It was no where near as well built and dependable as the Mazda 323 I had just sold with 100k miles on it, zero service needs but PM and 1 set of new brake pads.

Now, I'm not saying the EZ Reader is a POS. But, I am saying that just because a device ticks alot of feature boxes doesn't mean it is a better device or a better buy.

But, as you say, the "quality" issue is very important.

BOb
And that is why we will have to wait and see on the quality issue. However, on the software side, I am pleased that Hanlin has already released one small update (unlike most of the other players who sit on their, uh whatever). Furthermore, Hanlin isn't totally new at this game, as Griffonwing has stated.

However, the original comparison was to a Yugo and that is a comparison that I don't think works. Only time will tell if its more similar to your Elantra with features, but less reliability, or if it is more like a Lexus.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #45
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
However, the original comparison was to a Yugo and that is a comparison that I don't think works. Only time will tell if its more similar to your Elantra with features, but less reliability, or if it is more like a Lexus.
I raised the point about build quality last week. The term I used was "junky". I for one am unwilling to spend two hundred dollars for anything whose build quality is junky.

Robert responded by saying that the proof of Jinke's build quality is that Fry's receives fewer returns of the EZReader than its competitors.

That fact doesn't prove anything about the Pocket Pro before it has been released, but I do think that it makes pking's reference to the Yugo uncalled for.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote