Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
troutqueen
troutqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
ePubs from BooksonBoard not d'loading on Mac?

I'm having a strange issue right now. I've previously been able to download epubs off BooksonBoard onto my Mac and download them to my Sony 505. I have all the normal workarounds, but tonight when I downloaded an ePub off BooksonBoard, I could not get it to work or open on my Mac (OS X). It's downloading as a .epub.jar file and then it just gets stuck. Nothing happens. I double click on the file and get an error message.

Now, if I delete the .jar extension, it acts like a regular .epub file, and then I just move it to the right folder and Add it to the Digital Editions library, etc.

But either I've forgotten how to properly download epub files to the Mac, or something change in the application used to download and process epubs to a Mac? Does anyone have any ideas? Is it just user error on my part?
troutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I've only ever downloaded their test books and they were succesful, but that was about a month ago.
However, a .jar extension usually infers a Java application. Quite why it is sticking that on the end I don't know. One of the recent Mac updates was to the Java implementation so maybe it's a hiccup with that? Have you tried contacting BoB to see what they say?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried changing the extension to just .epub and see what happens?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
troutqueen
troutqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried changing the extension to just .epub and see what happens?
I did take the .jar extension of and was able to move the book into Adobe Digital Editions and load it to the PRS505, but it required me physically moving it into the right folder, and I noticed that while the file names for the other epub files were the name of the book, this one stayed the name of the file that came over (71343blahblah.epub). It's more a usability issue that's caused by a technical glitch.
troutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A "JAR" file is just a ZIP archive, as is an ePub file. It sounds as if something on the Mac is looking at the file, deciding that it's a ZIP file, and so, because it doesn't have a ".zip" extension, thinking "it must be a JAR file" and tagging on the ".jar" extension. What that might be, I'm afraid I don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutqueen View Post
I did take the .jar extension of and was able to move the book into Adobe Digital Editions and load it to the PRS505, but it required me physically moving it into the right folder, and I noticed that while the file names for the other epub files were the name of the book, this one stayed the name of the file that came over (71343blahblah.epub). It's more a usability issue that's caused by a technical glitch.
You could rename 71343blahblah.epub to NameOfeBook.epub and you'd be all set.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutqueen View Post
I'm having a strange issue right now. I've previously been able to download epubs off BooksonBoard onto my Mac and download them to my Sony 505. I have all the normal workarounds, but tonight when I downloaded an ePub off BooksonBoard, I could not get it to work or open on my Mac (OS X). It's downloading as a .epub.jar file and then it just gets stuck. Nothing happens. I double click on the file and get an error message.

Now, if I delete the .jar extension, it acts like a regular .epub file, and then I just move it to the right folder and Add it to the Digital Editions library, etc.

But either I've forgotten how to properly download epub files to the Mac, or something change in the application used to download and process epubs to a Mac? Does anyone have any ideas? Is it just user error on my part?
Try a different browser until BoB fixes their mime types on their server. Be sure to report this behavior to them, because, honestly, they are the ones that can fix it, not this forum.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
Try a different browser until BoB fixes their mime types on their server. Be sure to report this behavior to them, because, honestly, they are the ones that can fix it, not this forum.
I can say with certainty that ePub from BoB download fine using Firefox with Windows.