Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
DreamworlD
DreamworlD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Kindle 3 DIY Screen replacement

Hello guys,

My first post is coming, so please excuse me for the un-orientation.
Perhaps this is not the place where I should post my request.
And here it is....

Recently I've bough a new display for my Kindle3 (the old one have a crack on the ribbon cable).
After the replacement, I was astonished to find out, that the screen was divided by two, exactly on the middle of the display, and the image is shifted to the second (bottom) part which works just fine, but the first (top) part no signals appears to be shown.
At first I decided that this is an e-ink firmware issue. But it turned out that the firmware is just fine.
Right now I have some suspicions about the e-ink controller, or about the display itself.
Have any of you stumbled on an issue like this?
And do you know if Kindle have a routine to adjust the zero points of the X/Y positions according to the controller?

Here is a picture of the display itself.
DreamworlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree that this looks like a controller issue. I don't think there's anything you can do to solve it - it looks plain broken to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
DreamworlD
DreamworlD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree that this looks like a controller issue. I don't think there's anything you can do to solve it - it looks plain broken to me.
Thanks for the fast reply

Hm, perhaps there's a difference between controller firmware in ver.3.0.4 (the one that I am using currently) and the more recent versions of the Kindle Software.

Does anyone knows if there's differences?
DreamworlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
That would not make any sense since the firmware bundles are valid for all hardware versions of the Kindle. I guess you simply got sold a broken display unit - or one that isn't fit for the K3. Given that the cut is right in the middle, my bet is on bad connectors in the display unit.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
That would not make any sense since the firmware bundles are valid for all hardware versions of the Kindle. I guess you simply got sold a broken display unit - or one that isn't fit for the K3. Given that the cut is right in the middle, my bet is on bad connectors in the display unit.
I have to agree with that, it looks like a broken in-the-box item.

This replacement unit may not be new, it may be a 'pulled' item.

The K3 shipped with three different displays, but the only change visible is changes in the contrast (grayscale ramp).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert