Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #151
cavey
cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo touch
Okay I am new at this forum so please bear with me
I just did the lastes sync and I have found that unless I use the sleep (?) buttom at the top of my touch my pages ares not remembered and goes back to the title page and I have to find the page I was reading which for me is hard as I normally like to have four or five books on the go at once, and no pages are being remembered
cavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #152
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavey View Post
I just did the lastes sync and I have found that unless I use the sleep (?) buttom at the top of my touch my pages ares not remembered and goes back to the title page and I have to find the page I was reading which for me is hard as I normally like to have four or five books on the go at once, and no pages are being remembered
Firstly a little bit of information: When you sideload a book, the device processes the book and stores details about the book in it's internal database. Part of the details are the table of contents. This is used for navigation when reading the book. Also, when you are reading a book, the current location is stored in the database with the book details.

Now, your problem sounds like the book and the stored table of contents are out of sync. This can happen if you edit the book and replace the copy on the device. Doing this is safe if the changes are text only things (spelling, grammar) or style things. But if something changes the TOC, either directly or indirectly by changing the layout of the files inside the book, the problem you are seeing will happen. If this is what has happened, selecting a chapter from the TOC will usually go to the cover page as well.

If this is the case, the fix depends on how many books are having the problem. If it is only a few, then delete them using the device (or from calibre) and then sideload the books again. If there are a lot of books, you could log out on the device. This will replace the database with a new empty one. When it restarts, it will prompt to login and then process all the books. If you decide to do this, I would suggest deleting at least one book and reloading it to check that what I describe above is the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #153
cavey
cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!cavey , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo touch
Thanks It looks like it is more than that since this latest sync I cannot side load any books and the ones I deleted to see if that would help I can;t put back on I think I ma going ot have to do a factory reset Not thrilled as I love my stats over 433 books in 920 hours ( and I still read tree books, lol) I am thinking I wont do any updating or syncing until these have all been ireoned out... or can I remove the lastest sync and if so how? Not brilliant on tech stuff but simple instructions I can fake my way thorugh
cavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #154
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like the database on the device is corrupt. The device keeps working from an in memory copy of the database, but when it should be saved and reread, that doesn't work. The save/reread should happen when you power off and on or connect to a PC. From what I have seen, after this, it can lose the updates and read an old version of the database, or not save at all and continue with the in-memory copy of data. Or it might prompt you to do the set-up again.

Instead of a factory reset, log out of your Kobo account on the device. This removes the old database and creates a new empty database. It will get you to login and process the books already on the device.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #155
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Since I upgraded my Kobo to 2.4.0, I have 2 extremely annoying bugs:

- Kobo is much slower than before; loading a book, turning a page or on settings.
- When turning page: sometimes it's not responding until I touch it two or three times, and then it moves those 2 or 3 pages.

Everyone has this problems, or there is some way to fix it?
How can I downgrade to 2.3.1, which I think was a much better firmware?
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #156
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post
Since I upgraded my Kobo to 2.4.0, I have 2 extremely annoying bugs:

- Kobo is much slower than before; loading a book, turning a page or on settings.
- When turning page: sometimes it's not responding until I touch it two or three times, and then it moves those 2 or 3 pages.

Everyone has this problems, or there is some way to fix it?
How can I downgrade to 2.3.1, which I think was a much better firmware?
I don't have these problems with 2.4.0 on my Glo, it could be that something got messed up during the upgrade.

If you haven't already done it, try turning the device off then back on. This will clear memory and reload from onboard storage.

If that didn't help then the next thing to try is to sync, then log out of your account, then log back in. This will rebuild the onboard database from scratch. Unortunately this will delete the reading status for sideloaded books, but the books themselves and annotations will remain. It is a less drastic step than a full factory reset.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention: Logging out will also delete your ADE authorization data, so if you use ADE you will need to reauthorize your device with ADE afterwards or else make a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory on your device before logging out and copy it back again afterwards.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-16-2013 at 05:17 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #157
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
or else make a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory on your device before logging out and copy it back again afterwards.
This is the better option. Re-authorising costs you one of the six (?) authorisations you're allowed.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #158
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
This is the better option. Re-authorising costs you one of the six (?) authorisations you're allowed.
And avoids the hassle of dealing with Adobe support!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #159
ragnor
ragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blueragnor can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I don't have these problems with 2.4.0 on my Glo, it could be that something got messed up during the upgrade.

If you haven't already done it, try turning the device off then back on. This will clear memory and reload from onboard storage.

If that didn't help then the next thing to try is to sync, then log out of your account, then log back in. This will rebuild the onboard database from scratch. Unortunately this will delete the reading status for sideloaded books, but the books themselves and annotations will remain. It is a less drastic step than a full factory reset.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention: Logging out will also delete your ADE authorization data, so if you use ADE you will need to reauthorize your device with ADE afterwards or else make a copy of the .adobe-digital-editions directory on your device before logging out and copy it back again afterwards.
I'd tried to log out and log in again, and I think now it's working better than before. BTW, I don't know why, but I've lost my shelves. But it's working fine, so it's worth.

Thank you!!
ragnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #160
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnor View Post
I'd tried to log out and log in again, and I think now it's working better than before. BTW, I don't know why, but I've lost my shelves. But it's working fine, so it's worth.

Thank you!!
Log out / log on drops the database where all info (including shelves) are stored.

If you had done a sync via WiFi or Kobo desktop the names of the shelves would have been saved but only any kEpubs bought from Kobo; names of ePubs on shelves is not synced to Kobo.

On the other hand if the books and shelves were managed via calibre then they will be recreated by calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #161
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, the key points for adding new fonts is to ensure the font file name matches the font name with the style/weight added and that the Kobo has been power cycled after the fonts are copied to the fonts directory -- remembering that the fonts directory name is also case sensitive.

Regards,
David
With the 2.4.0 update, I had to remove all references to other fonts in the stylesheet. This way Century Gothic (and other fonts) work fine now
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #162
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
With the 2.4.0 update, I had to remove all references to other fonts in the stylesheet. This way Century Gothic (and other fonts) work fine now
If the epub specifies a font, as you said, your Kobo will not override that. Much as a line height specified for a paragraph will not be overridden by the Kobo's line spacing control and the margins control will only increase stylesheet defined widths. My guess is that Kobo is trying to leave the format close to the way the ebook publisher designed it (or is that Adobe since epubs use Adobe Reader Mobile to render).

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #163
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
We had a four month "spell" without new builds that ended in July with not-a-terrific- build, the timing of which seemed to have a whole lot to do with the rollout in Japan.

During the four months we were waiting for an update Kobo implemented ACCESS NetFront(TM) (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kob...ces-2012-07-02) as the EPUB 3 Standard viewer engine for the non-Adobe services they run.

At the time, Adobe continued to work on their implementation of the ePub 3 standards but in July, they had not yet released an ePub 3 compliant "backend" for ereading devices. Now they have and Kobo is making the changes necessary to work with the Adobe epub3 product.

So we had things happening at two different times, depending on format One of the goals was, I believe, what DNSB said, to have books display as closely as possible to what the publisher intended. All of this is happening to books in both formats.

There are definitely display issues that are related to choices the publisher has made which will not be overridden. I have no idea how books submitted by the publishers before epub3 changes happened behave differently than books submitted later. I would guess that there is a whole lot of variation there depending on the choices the publisher made along the way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #164
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Bookmark shows as zero percent through chapter after closing and reopening book

Bug: When a book is closed and reopened, bookmarks are shown with 0% into chapter. Also, the bookmarks and annotations are listed under the current chapter instead of the chapter they are actually in.

Reproducible: Yes

New: I think the bug was present in previous firmware, but the exact symptoms might have changed

Kepub or epub: epub that is in the main memory.

For those who want the details...

For an epub, the annotations are stored in a file and in the database. The file overrides the database, so if the database entries are removed or changed, the file will be read when the book is opened. This updates the database and it is done incorrectly. If the file is removed before reopening the book, the bookmarks and annotations are displayed correctly.

Books on the SD card are not affected because the file is not created anywhere.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #165
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Bug: Kobo w/ Sleepcover goes to sleep 30 secs after being woken up with sleepcover if screen is not touched within that time.

[EDIT]: will also do the same when woken from sleep using on/off switch. Use sleepcover was unselected in settings.

Reproducible: Yes when Use Sleepcover is selected in options.

[EDIT]:While using on/off to sleep/wake and Use Sleepcover unselected, it is still reproducible but seems to happen less often.

New: Yes

Kepub or epub: epub on Micro SD card.

Workaround: Touch screen right after waking up the Kobo.
This also happens on my Touch.

################################################
Bug: Kobo Touch goes to sleep 30 secs after being woken up with power slider if screen is not touched within that time.

Reproducible: Yes, always.

New: Yes

Kepub or epub: epub on internal memory.

Workaround: Touch screen right after waking up the Kobo.
################################################

Regards
Aydan
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote