Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Embedded font-subset sometimes fails

I have several times used Font Squirrel Generator to subset a large font if I only need a few characters, and usually it displays fine in ADE and SONY reader on the desktop. It's great to shave off 85% of the font-file size. (Although sometimes you get scrambled or missing glyphs, I guess probably because the original is missing some metrics or something.)

Now I have one that displays beautifully in ADE, but not at all in Sony software. I thought Sony reader software uses the ADE engine, so I am confused.

Any thoughts you'd like to share with this bewildered soul?

-------------
OOPS. I posted this in the wrong forum, could a moderator please move it to EPUB or Workshop, thanks.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 10-19-2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: request to move post
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The Sony reader does use ADE (or actually the mobile part). Usually it is fine if ADE displays it. However, the version of ADE can be important. I believe the newer version do things different, but most mobile versions are based on an older version. I find that version 1.7.x give the best compatibility for fonts.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Ah, well. I am running the latest version of both, ADE version is 1.8(3?) (not at my home computer and can't confirm.
So I guess I will always have to check subsetted fonts on my device to make sure.

But even then, I won't be sure they will display correctly on other readers.

Thanks, Toxaris.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Latest version of ADE is 2.0.

If you are running any of the 1.8's, then you are using the beta version and not the full release.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote