Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #61
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
Thanks DiskAid seemed to allow me to access my ipad and iphone to sideload. The only problem I have is the sync wheel in the bottom right is greyed out in the iphone and ipad, but on the kindle 2 it seems to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Are you using Amazon's ASIN code inserted into line 113?

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 03-26-2012 at 09:28 PM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #62
scoiattolo49
scoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheesescoiattolo49 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
The only problem I have is the sync wheel in the bottom right is greyed out in the iphone and ipad, but on the kindle 2 it seems to work. Any suggestions?
Even if the "synch whell" is greyed out, the synch works flawlessly (if you have followed carefully the instructions).In fact it's normal that the "synch whell" is greyed out for books not purchased from Amazon... not sure why since the synch works.

Just go to the app's home screen and "pull down" the screen for manually initiate a synch.

Also, as I mentioned before, it seems that for the synch to work on the iPhone/iPad, you must first use your Kindle

Last edited by scoiattolo49; 03-27-2012 at 01:57 PM.
scoiattolo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #63
sylviebi
Connoisseur
sylviebi is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, DSi xl, 3DS, iPod, Playbbok
thanks for all the posts. I got my synch back.
I must say that now there are even more steps but for me still worth the extra minute or two this now adds.

-open my book in calibre and convert it to mobi
-open this new mobi file in MobiMetaEditor and add the 113 asin number provided on the amazon site (and ensure that the 501 is EBOK and save the file
-sideload this new file to my kindle by drilling down to the documents folder from my computer
-sideload this same file to the Apps/com.amazon.Lassen/Library/eBooks using iexplorer
-sideload this same file to D:\My Documents\My eBooks\My Kindle Content
-open it on my kindle and go chapter 1 page 2, close book, repopen and close again
-open it on my ipod and it synchs automatically (but the synch button is greyed whatever)
-open the app kindle pc and then open the book and it synch's automatically... or sometimes I click on synch now

this works for me.
I have:
kindle3 keyboard ver 3.3
ipod touch (the one with the camera) ios 5.1 and kindle 3.0.1
running pc kindle ver 1.9.1 on windows xp
sylviebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #64
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Btw my book does not match the amazon ASIN but uses the same format B00xxxxxxx where x's are random. It still syncs fine (but sync button greyed out)
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #65
sylviebi
Connoisseur

Oh I forgot to mention. I looked in my deleted items and found the Kindle app ver 2.9 in there and am willing to share it if you want to try that route. So PM me if you want it.

edit: um I guess I can't share this without giving you my itunes password and username and I'm nice but not that nice lol! Sorry...

Last edited by sylviebi; 03-28-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #66
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviebi View Post
Oh I forgot to mention. I looked in my deleted items and found the Kindle app ver 2.9 in there and am willing to share it if you want to try that route. So PM me if you want it.
Your Kindle app for iphone/ipad is tagged to your account/password. It won't do anyone any good.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #67
sylviebi
Connoisseur

Well this is weird. I am going over all my sideloaded books on my iPod to see which ones are not working anymore and all but two do not work. I don't think I sideloaded these two any differently then all the others. Hugh, I wonder why those two are still working and even the synch works and it's not greyed out? that is very strange...

great now that I found these two I am now going to try all kinds of scenarios to see what I might have done differently to get these to work... cause that's the way I roll... I wish I would have never found those two. I'm probably going to waste a few hours on a complete fluke lol
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #68
sylviebi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Your Kindle app for iphone/ipad is tagged to your account/password. It won't do anyone any good.

Carol
oh right... I forgot that... Sorry
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #69
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Suddenly all the covers are not showing. Haven't made any changes. All I can say is what the hell!!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #70
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
everything still works with pc/android sync with no workaround. whatever changes they made only affects ios.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #71
neonbible
Addict

I just got an iPad and it isn't syncing!! I got the exact same book with Asin on my iPhone and iPod and it's syncing fine. Can anyone help?

Edit: Ok nothing is syncing between any of my devices.

I give up. Im going the personal documents route and hope they bring syncing to pc and mac versions soon.

Last edited by neonbible; 04-20-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #72
Shunt
Shunt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Smile Got it to work...

I finally got everything to work across all my devices (Kindle, iPad, Android and Mac).

This only way I can get it to work is if I do these steps:

1. Convert your book to mobi with Calibre (even if the book already is in mobi).
2. Edit the ASIN (113) field using an editor of choice (mobi2mobi, MobiMetaEditor). You might be able to use any valid ASIN or ISBN-10 (not ISBN-13) number, but I use the proper values from Amazon. ASIN if there's a Kindle version available, otherwise ISBN-10.
3. Send the book to selected devices (\Library\ebooks for Kindle), not via iTunes.

I have no idea what makes this work, but Calibre sets the 113-field in hex (it seems) and syncing only works with a B00-number or ten digits.

I'm fairly new to Calibre so there might be some way to change its setting so these extra steps won't be necessary, but... as long as it works for me, I'm happy. I read on my Kindle during the days, iPad when in bed, and iPad/android when I'm out and about.

Oh, all my I have transferred so far (about 30) have had correct ISBN and ASIN or ISBN-10 ( as amazon: ).
Shunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #73
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I am still having trouble getting my sideloaded books to open in the Kindle app for iPad.

I am new to Mobi2Mobi so I wondered if someone could take a quick look and make sure I have pasted the ASIN in correctly.

On amazon the ASIN is shown as ASIN: B000XPNUPY. When I paste it into mobi and run convert it is updated as below.

I originally converted via Calibre
Opened in Mobi2Mobi and changed the ASIN
Used DiskAid to copy to the ebooks folder in the Kindle app

Still getting the error message to remove the book, when I open it in the kindle app.

Thanks!

brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #74
thermo
thermo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Hi - just wondering if there has been any update to Calibre to fix this issue.

Had the same problem - updated to 3.0.1 on my ipad - all my sideload syncying broke (although it still worked fine between PC and Kindle).

Editting the asin with MobiMetaEditorV0.14 to match the Bxxxxxxxxxx in the URL on the kindle website and sideloading to /private/var/mobile/Applications/xxxx/Documents worked (note need to change owner to mobile from root if you use winscp like i do).

Tweaking all the ASIN's seems a bit cumbersome - is there another utility available that can automate that a bit?

Thanks
Chris

PS - I logged a bug report on this to Calibre here - was responded as a "Will Not Fix" by the dev
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1008520

Last edited by thermo; 06-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
thermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #75
thermo
thermo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
This plugin for Calibre looks promising
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=498
thermo is offline   Reply With Quote