Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Ponchitto
Ponchitto began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre - Pocketbook - Liberati Wifi IQ701
Aluratek Libre and PDF support

I posted it elsewhere but want to hear opinions about the way I see the Libre Pro from Aluratek handles PDF files. Let's first say: I wanted the Libre Color but received the Libre Pro, and had to be happy with it because http://www.blinq.com/ wanted to send me that one.
I have noticed something about PDF files into the Aluratek Libre Pro: if the file origin is a conversion from a formatted text (let's say for example a converted word document through PDF virtual printer) there is no problem, even when it has a few images into it. But if you scanned the whole book, and every page is a scanned image, the Libre Pro get so slow, and almost unusable. I've heard the new ereader from Sony has somewhat similar issue with pdf.
I don't know if there's a way of making it work better in this scenario (full scanned books to pdf) because I have a collection of important books in this situation.
Thanks

Alfonso
Ponchitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
All scsanned pdfs are going to be an issue with pure ereaders. the pages are just very large/memory intensive and so take a good deal of processor power to buffer and display. The libre pro is a five inch device i believe and so its going to be difficult to display them properly and with any sort of speed.

there may be a way to reformat them to fit more easily on that display and sort of optimize them for the processing power of the Libre pro but I am not that familiar with the various pdf software but there do seem to be some very knowledgeable people here on the Mobileread discussing pdfs in the Onyx/Ectaco/Pocketbook threads that may have an idea .

One thing you might consider is this bit of news i've just run across http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...30/#more-30725 if you have a "staples" there in the Miami area...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert