Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
pageturn - map your own 'next_page'/'previous_page' buttons

This hack contains script, which allows you to map your own "next page" and "previous page" buttons easily. By default it uses "Center" and "Enter" keys.

There are two versions, one contains additional orientation check, so it works in landscape orientation only, second works for all orientations.

Please notice, that this script doesnt change original behaviour of keys in any way.

How to install :
- Copy pageturn folder to root.
- Copy pageturn.ini to launchpad directory.

How to run :
- Activate it with "SHIFT+P+P" command.

How to exit :
- Terminate it with "SHIFT+O+O" command.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pageturn.zip (2.7 KB, 287 views)
File Type: zip Pageturn-all.zip (2.6 KB, 619 views)

Last edited by seaniko7; 07-12-2011 at 03:16 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Very nice, great idea as well!
Thank you.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
this will be really useful. Thanks!
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
vcuong
vcuong began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
thanks a lot brother, it's very useful!
vcuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
I wrote small script, which activates fiveway center button as third next page button while in landscape orientation.

Copy pageturnforward to root, pageturnforward.ini to launchpad directory, activate it with "SHIFT+P+P" command and you're good to go.

Feel free to play with mapping your own buttons.

pageturnforward.zip
Dude, you rock! Very useful for me. It might be a simple script, sure, but I couldn't do it, I think. Thanks, man.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Smile

Hey seaniko I just gave you good karma! WELL DONE on the hack!
works perfectly

If I may, can I please ask you if it is possible to make the page turn during 'Portrait' mode too. (i.e. being in Portrait or Landscape orientation, when you press the Center Button, it goes forward 1 page). I believe you would need to copy the paragraph of code and make it inclusive after the code for orientation to include the Orientation.

Also is it possible to re-map the 'Spacebar' key to make a next page turn?

Thanks for your great help and dedication.

Quote:
I wrote small script, which activates fiveway center button as third next page button while in landscape orientation.

Copy pageturnforward to root, pageturnforward.ini to launchpad directory, activate it with "SHIFT+P+P" command and you're good to go.

Feel free to play with mapping your own buttons.

pageturnforward.zip
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Thanks, I'm glad it's useful for you.

As some of you already noticed, script sometimes causes turning more than one page. I've added delay command so it acts more like original next page button. You can find fixed script as well as version without orientation check in first post.

@jeromedevine, yes it is possible to map spacebar key, but it will also bring search box everytime you press it, because my script isn't blocking original funcionality of keys.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Smile

Oh...that makes sense!

I checked my Kindle 3 keyboard and saw that there is the 'Alt' button that when pressed does not make a key shown. (I sometimes use Alt + B to make bookmarks but I don't use that so much)

Do you think you can make an alternative one with the 'Alt' button to go Page forward? The reason why it would be great is because that way you can hold your kindle with your hands Landscape and press on a key at the bottom rather than at the top. It would be awesome if you can manage to code this!!!

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad it's useful for you.

As some of you already noticed, script sometimes causes turning more than one page. I've added delay command so it acts more like original next page button. You can find fixed script as well as version without orientation check in first post.

@jeromedevine, yes it is possible to map spacebar key, but it will also bring search box everytime you press it, because my script isn't blocking original funcionality of keys.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Any way to disable this script without during a reset?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
jeromedevine
Zealot

I found out that the 'Alt' button code is 56.

I amended the code and replaced 194 with 56 like as it is underneath but it didn't work:

#!/bin/sh

#let's use some helpers
_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}
#big loop
while true; do
{
#wait for center key
if waitforkey 56 ; then
next_page
#wait a while to prevent from turning too many pages at once
sleep 1
fi
}
done

Then in the .ini file I amended so:

[Actions]
;; pageturnforward1
P A = !sh /mnt/us/pageturnforward1 &

After I renamed the 'pageturnforward' file to 'pageturnforward1' (also I amended the .ini file by including '1' after filename) so that I would still have the pageturnforward script available as well. I amended as well the keys to press and changed it from P P to P A

Can anyone hint me what I am doing wrong for it not to work?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #11
seaniko7
wannabe developer

@Kenneth_irl I'll add command to stop script later.
@jeromedevine, alt key is acting in diffrent way than others as it's a modifer key. Kindle detects alt key press when you press another key after it.

It goes like this :
Press alt - press another key - Kindle detects alt press.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
seaniko7
wannabe developer

I've updated scripts with keydefs from launchpad, so it's easier to map your own keys.

New version also includes exit script.

Enjoy.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
I've updated scripts with keydefs from launchpad, so it's easier to map your own keys.

New version also includes exit script.

Enjoy.
Awesome.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
jeromedevine
Zealot

I suggest the insertion in the code to allow as well the press of 'Enter' button to go to Previous Page.

The key code for 'Enter' is 28.

Also, can there be the insertion of a condition argument check, to check if the screen shows a menu (i.e. not in page reading mode) and if it is in menu mode, the Next Page command is not executed. This would solve some minor problem when you try to insert a command from the menu.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
seaniko7
wannabe developer

@jeromedevine, unfortunately not, it's closed part of kindle software.

Please check first post, now script supports turning pages forward and backward, as jeromedevine suggested and there is no need to add delay, as mapped keys act equally to original by adding write/read commands.