Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo e-reader reveals it has 2.7 million users

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-million-users

Quote:
E-reader maker Kobo Inc. says it has secured new financing to help fund international expansion and that it has 2.7 million users worldwide.

The company, majority owned by Toronto's Indigo Books & Music Inc.,, now has a catalogue of 2.3 million eBooks in more than 100 countries.

It says the pace of its expansion has accelerated — taking 10 months to reach one million users and less than three months to grow to two million.

The financing was led by Fidelity Investments with secondary investments from Indigo and Cheung Kong holdings.

The company says it plans to use the cash to expand internationally with new partners, content and languages.

Indigo owns 59 per cent of Kobo, a former subsidiary that was spun off to compete against Amazon's Kindle and a multitude of other companies.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version incorrectly reported that Kobo sold 2.3 million eBooks, but instead it has 2.3 million books in its catalogue.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Great there is nothing better then a Kobo for simplicity.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Gonna be 1 less if they don't get The Crippled God available on their canadian web site soon....

Its 12 days behind amazon now, and I don't mean american amazon, I mean Amazon has had it available to Canadians for 12 days now.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
Gonna be 1 less if they don't get The Crippled God available on their canadian web site soon....

Its 12 days behind amazon now, and I don't mean american amazon, I mean Amazon has had it available to Canadians for 12 days now.
Have you tried looking over at the B&N website? Both the Nook and Kobo run ePubs so you should be able to swap files between the two. Unless of course the file is DRM'ed
Arigato,
Nick Davis
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

I have a gift card for kobo, otherwise I would've just bought the Amazon one and then just stripped DRM and converted it. Kobo told me they would forward my request blah blah, but that they couldn't have any guarantees or whatever. Its stupid. If Amazon can sell it to Canadians why can't they?
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post

don't you have anything else to read while you wait?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Successfully raising further investment confirms again that Kobo has momentum in this market and continues to focus on a global audience, not just a regional one. Kudos to Kobo!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
With the major issues with Borders an A&R here in Australia, I wonder if Kobo are fishing around for new distributors?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

actually- are you sure the ebook is available in Kindle format in Canada? i was trying to find out but it seems the physical book isnt even out yet in Canada...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
Fayth
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
don't you have anything else to read while you wait?
Yes, The Wise Man's Fear, which was up on day 1. I finished that though. I have others, but I want to read the conclusion to The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Quote:
actually- are you sure the ebook is available in Kindle format in Canada? i was trying to find out but it seems the physical book isnt even out yet in Canada...
100% positive. Canadians order through amazon.com but its region specific. Transworld Digital publishes the canadian ebook, a publisher called Ingram is publishing the physical in Canada and they got delayed somehow.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard

yeah i figured how to change amazon so i could look. seems like a publishing issue when i was looking about- I thought I had seen Bantam was the publisher for Canada not Ingram?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
How many of the 2.7 million users are actual Kobo device owners as opposed to Kobo app users?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Good for Kobo! They really do have the most customer-friendly store out of all the majors, in terms of pricing with their frequent discount coupons and whatnot, even if the actual shopping experience is sometimes marred by annoying CS issues which their people take forever to get to and seem to read their replies off a script rather than going by your question.

But nice to see that they're doing well. Probably only a small-ish percentage of that overall number is for actual Kobo device owners, but if even a 10th of the app-only users have bought even 1 e-book from the store, that's contributed to the continued profitability of Kobo's operation.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Anybody else think it's noteworthy that their user base is larger than their catalogue?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Fayth
Zealot

Quote:
yeah i figured how to change amazon so i could look. seems like a publishing issue when i was looking about- I thought I had seen Bantam was the publisher for Canada not Ingram?
Dunno. Called Tor about it mid February, they told me to call Ingram. Ingram said they are only publishing the physical books.