Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
How many Kindle Books on Amazon?

I have read several times about Amazon having over 400,000 titles available for the Kindle, but after today's attempt to purchase two Kindle Books from Amazon UK, I begin to doubt.

The first was Dealers of Lightning by Michael Hiltzig, the account of Xerox PARC and the dawn of the computer age. I went to the Kindle Edition Page to find 'Pricing Information not available' despite the header of the page telling me to start reading 'D of L' in under one minute.

An email to Amazon support just told me 'I am sorry to inform you that the book “Dealers of lightning” you are interested in is not currently available for Kindle '

The second attempt was more of a farce. I wanted to buy 'The Vampyr' a fiction title by Tom Holland the author of Rubicon. The Amazon Uk page showed a price of £4.49 for the Kindle edition which looked good.
Going to the Kindle Page, I found a 'Pre-Order' button and the information
'The title will be auto-delivered to your Kindle on the February 4 2036'

Is this a record for the longest possible pre-order?

They want me to pre-order a book to be delivered in 23 years!!!

I wonder how many more jokes of this type are around. Can anyone beat 23 years?

adrian
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi Adrian,
The book "Dealers of Light" is available here in the US. I could not find "The Vampyr'

__
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
if you look up at the top of the page, there is a thread that tracks the number of ebooks on Amazon
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if you look up at the top of the page, there is a thread that tracks the number of ebooks on Amazon
That's the US store...and of late there is some weirdness going on with the totals...right now it is over 1,300,000 which cannot be right, as it was 750,000 just a couple of days ago (but it will take me awhile to count the actual number... )

I just checked amazon.co.uk it says the total is currently 487,924, FWIw
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I noticed the book count for Kindle has grown substantially over the past day or so. Something weird is definitely going on. The Fantasy books (US site) were over 8,000 the other day and now they are 18,000+.

*Waits patiently for tomsem to finish count*
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I wonder how many of those titles are pedophile "how-to" books?

Can you guys believe the bad press that Amazon is getting?! I can't believe that they are so bone-headed as to not have some sort of department policing the books that are sold through their site.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not for censorship on the whole but there are just some things that just shouldn't be allowed in a supposed civilized society.

Just my two cents and I'll come down off my soap box now.

It's sad that it took reporters requesting that the books be taken down to get Amazon to do something but at least the books are down and that's the main thing.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote