Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Where does the OSX Kobo reader store my books on my hard disk?

Where does the OSX Kobo reader store my books on my hard disk? I've searched but I can't find them.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh looks like it's under my home directory in Application Support/Kobo. It's just one big SQLite database; the books aren't stored as separate files. That's disappointing.
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Simply log back into your Kobo (or Borders) account and download EPUB versions of your purchased books.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
stodge
Groupie

I was under the assumption that I could just grab the books the Kobo OSX app downloaded and add them to the Sony Reader app. This idea of storing the Kobo books inside a SQLite database doesn't seem very open to me.

(P.S. Still evaluating different ereaders)
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
I was under the assumption that I could just grab the books the Kobo OSX app downloaded and add them to the Sony Reader app. This idea of storing the Kobo books inside a SQLite database doesn't seem very open to me.

(P.S. Still evaluating different ereaders)

Hence the E-pub download option . If it were a closed system, it would be the KOBO Database version only.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
stodge
Groupie

I tried that but I only ever get .acsm files. Shouldn't they be .epub? The .acsm files are only about 3kb.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
ACTUALLY...

v1.6+ of the Desktop application will recognize the Sony eReader as a 3rd party device. When you hit 'sync', it will fetch Adobe ePub versions of the books in your library and stick them on the device. No ADE required.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried that but I only ever get .acsm files. Shouldn't they be .epub? The .acsm files are only about 3kb.
When you open the acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions (downloaded from Adobe), the book will be there.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
stodge
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
ACTUALLY...

v1.6+ of the Desktop application will recognize the Sony eReader as a 3rd party device. When you hit 'sync', it will fetch Adobe ePub versions of the books in your library and stick them on the device. No ADE required.
So I could get a Sony e-reader, and buy books from kobobooks and the kobo desktop app will automatically publish them to the sony? Cool feature!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
stodge
Groupie

Will future versions of the desktop app let users add books/documents to their library, kind of like Calibre?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
ACTUALLY...

SameerH, if this is case, why even have an SQL version? why not install the ePub format to all devices, including the Kobo?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
SameerH, if this is case, why even have an SQL version? why not install the ePub format to all devices, including the Kobo?
Adobe ePubs that Kobobooks.com offers are primarily a way for customers to read on non-Kobo devices / apps that support sideloading of Adobe DRM'd content.

You can't sync bookmarks across multiple platforms with this format, so when on a Kobo device/app we prefer to use our own format to allow users to have this functionality (there are other reasons as well).

That said, we're improving our native format (already on the Kobo Wireless, iphone, ipad and Android apps), and will have it on the original Kobo soon.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
So I could get a Sony e-reader, and buy books from kobobooks and the kobo desktop app will automatically publish them to the sony? Cool feature!
There are some cases where on a Mac the sony may not connect (known sony issue), but for the most part yes.

Quote:
Will future versions of the desktop app let users add books/documents to their library, kind of like Calibre?
Hmm... not sure if this is in the plan, but a good idea. I'll speak with the product development powers that be.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
stodge
Groupie

I still don't understand why the books have to be stored in the DB. Can they be extracted? Manually downloading each book is a pain.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I still don't understand why the books have to be stored in the DB. Can they be extracted? Manually downloading each book is a pain.
With the wifi version the database is used only for storing metadata about the books. The booksnthem selves are encrypted epubs

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote