Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Confused on how to fix this problem (pic included)

The picture pretty much sums up the problem. I do have Office 2003, so editing through Microsoft Word is possible. I've tried changing some settings around in Word, but I think I'm doing something wrong. This book is in .txt format.

I have also tried scanning the board, and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe I missed a post on these boards. I would love to read about it :>

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1174585516

Link to the picture, if the picture doesn't show.

Thanks a ton

Last edited by Frogsmasha; 03-22-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Looks like you've got a bunch of hard returns, Frogsmasha. You can check by turning on the editing marks and seeing if they show up.

Stingo's macro might work for you as an automagic fixer, assuming that's the problem.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, scottcstoness just posted another option over here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=60
Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Join the Librie group at yahoogroups, then go to the files section and click on the folder ContentGeneration and download librietextassistant_win_01.zip and install it.

Then click on the OPEN button and open your file, then click PROCESS to remove all extraneous hard returns (it does keep the paragraphs just fine) and then click SAVE to save it back under the same name.

Simple, tidy, free, efficient, what could be better?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Without a shadow of a doubt the problem is that each line of the file ends in a hard return - the normal formatting for a text file.

Stingo's Word formatting macro will sort it all out for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

I downloaded BookDesigner that I found on these forums, and you know what, it works pretty good. I took my mangled .txt file and converted it to a decent looking book

Thanks for your help guys, I owe you one
Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey, that's what we're all here for, Frogsmasha: to help each other out -- it usually even works!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Hey, that's what we're all here for, Frogsmasha: to help each other out -- it usually even works!
Why isn't there a smilies gif for high fives?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, find one you like, and maybe you can get Alexander to add it to the list. (That's how I got the shrug smilie )
Old 04-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Fitzwaryn
Connoisseur
Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fitzwaryn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Use a Hex Editor.

If you can get the book dumped out in txt format then open it with a hex editor. There are plenty of free ones out on the net.

Look for the hard returns in the text in the text window and find the matching hex chars. They are usually 0D 0A. You can also scan for double returns which often are paragraph breaks. Different word processors will produce different patterns. Personally I prefer a double return between paragraphs but that's just my personal preference.

The most common case I encounter is lines each broken by a 0D 0A and paragraphs broken by 0D 0A 0D 0A (double returns).

In that case I do a global replace of the 0D 0A 0D 0A with a non text string like FF EE FF EE then do a global replace of 0D 0A with 20 (space). Then do a replace of 20 20 with 20 and repeat that global replace until there aren't any more. That takes care of spaces just before or after the hard returns you got rid of.

Once that's done I just replace FF EE FF EE with 0D 0A 0D 0A and I have the paragraph breaks back.

I do other clean up while in the editor to get rid of indentations, odd characters that might be unicode which displays as question marks and any other odd little irritants..

Get comfortable with using a hex editor and you can do all sorts of fast and nice cleanups in txt files. Once that's done, you save the file back out then open it with Word, set the font size you want, enter for Info information and save it as an RTF. It's then ready to load onto the Reader

I do that so often that sometimes I'll start reading a book, notice some irritating little anomaly that I missed before and re-edit the txt file with the hex editor to correct it then reformat it as RTF again and reload it.

Once you get comfortable using a Hex Editor you can usually clean up a txt file in 20-30 seconds.

Even some really badly formatted files can be cleaned up globally with
Fitzwaryn is offline   Reply With Quote