Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
gshoe
gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Letter to McMillan

Hi,

I am new to this forum and a recently new owner of the Nook. I just thought I would share an email I sent to McMillan this morning. It would not be a bad idea for other concerned folks to do the same. Thanks!

Hello,

I wish to express my profound disappointment in your insistence that retailers raise the price on your eBooks. I think your decision is very short sighted and particularly offensive to your end customers. We are not stupid here. We understand that the digital delivery of a book is a fraction of what it costs to print and distribute a traditional book. $9.99 already seems to be a premium for a small file and the intellectual property it contains. This smacks of greed and opportunism. Especially in todays economic climate, it paints your company in a bad light.

I just recently purchased a Nook, and it has greatly enhanced my desire to read. I have purchased 8 books in 3 weeks and have read the majority of them already. This probably totals the number of books that I read in the past year. The ereader experience is different than that of books. Because of the nature of the device, I am more apt to pick it up and take it with me anytime I will have a few minutes of down time. The size, form and function makes reading easier in bed or even at the dinner table. What I am trying to say is that ereader owners will read more. I am sure of it. And, as they get more mainstream, your profits will surely rise.

I understand that companies often live and die by their gross sales dollars. This industry must sacrifice that thinking and look at gross profit dollars and should really push the advantages of ereading.

Please reconsider your strategy. I for one will be avoiding your titles until you see the light.

Best regards,

Greg Shoemaker
gshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshoe View Post
Hi,

I am new to this forum and a recently new owner of the Nook. I just thought I would share an email I sent to McMillan this morning. It would not be a bad idea for other concerned folks to do the same. Thanks!

Hello,

I wish to express my profound disappointment in your insistence that retailers raise the price on your eBooks. I think your decision is very short sighted and particularly offensive to your end customers. We are not stupid here. We understand that the digital delivery of a book is a fraction of what it costs to print and distribute a traditional book. $9.99 already seems to be a premium for a small file and the intellectual property it contains. This smacks of greed and opportunism. Especially in todays economic climate, it paints your company in a bad light.

I just recently purchased a Nook, and it has greatly enhanced my desire to read. I have purchased 8 books in 3 weeks and have read the majority of them already. This probably totals the number of books that I read in the past year. The ereader experience is different than that of books. Because of the nature of the device, I am more apt to pick it up and take it with me anytime I will have a few minutes of down time. The size, form and function makes reading easier in bed or even at the dinner table. What I am trying to say is that ereader owners will read more. I am sure of it. And, as they get more mainstream, your profits will surely rise.

I understand that companies often live and die by their gross sales dollars. This industry must sacrifice that thinking and look at gross profit dollars and should really push the advantages of ereading.

Please reconsider your strategy. I for one will be avoiding your titles until you see the light.

Best regards,

Greg Shoemaker
I just finished a letter myself, though not as elegant as yours. If others wish to use mine, or perhaps combine elements of our letters, we can really turn this industry around.

To Whom It May Concern,

Lower the damn price. I'm happy to pay for a decent product, but fifteen bucks for a half-finished, software-crippled webpage copy of a book? I know you know, but I thought I'd just remind you. Thanks for your time.

Most sincerely,
Lost Customer

Last edited by LDBoblo; 02-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
To Whom It May Concern,

Lower the damn price. I'm happy to pay for a decent product, but fifteen bucks for a half-finished, software-crippled webpage copy of a book?
Most sincerely,
Lost Customer
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
Well, welcome aboard gshoe. Couragous first post if anything.

I'm afraid I'm too cynical, and believe they know that and they're doing everything to prevent it. They don't want us to read ebooks.
A french publisher said publicly the ebook readers were "the king of Morons", and I'm being more polite than he was...

The key phrase being "I for one will be avoiding your titles until you see the light"
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good for you and Welcome!

From PC World:

"Publishers are Shortsighted"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18876...ice_fight.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I just finished a letter myself, though not as elegant as yours. If others wish to use mine, or perhaps combine elements of our letters, we can really turn this industry around.

To Whom It May Concern,

Lower the damn price. I'm happy to pay for a decent product, but fifteen bucks for a half-finished, software-crippled webpage copy of a book? I know you know, but I thought I'd just remind you. Thanks for your time.

Most sincerely,
Lost Customer
Awesome.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Letters will probably have more impact if one takes the trouble to correctly spell the company name. It is "Macmillan", not "McMillan".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Letters will probably have more impact if one takes the trouble to correctly spell the company name. It is "Macmillan", not "McMillan".
I think they'll get the point Harry, spelling notwithstanding.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I think they'll get the point Harry, spelling notwithstanding.
Sure, but I just think it detracts from the impact of the letter to get such a basic thing wrong. It's always a good idea to do a little bit of research before writing to a company, if you want to maximize the impact of what you're saying. Eg, find out the name of the CEO of the company and address the letter to him or her personally rather than send it to "the company" where, for all you know, it's being opened by someone in the mail-room. Macmillan's CEO is called "John Sargent".

Last edited by HarryT; 02-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, but I just think it detracts from the impact of the letter to get such a basic thing wrong. It's always a good idea to do a little bit of research before writing to a company, if you want to maximize the impact of what you're saying. Eg, find out the name of the CEO of the company and address the letter to him or her personally rather than send it to "the company" where, for all you know, it's being opened by someone in the mail-room. Macmillan's CEO is called "John Sargent".

I'm pretty sure someone else opens and screens his mail for him in any case.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm pretty sure someone else opens and screens his mail for him in any case.

Absolutely, but addressing a letter to Mr. Sargent in person gives it a lot better chance of coming to his attention than one that isn't.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
To Whom It May Concern,

Most sincerely,
Lost Customer
Can you please change that to a petition so we can all sign it
It is a sad state of affairs when e-book consumers not only put up with poor quality conversions and ridiculous DRM but they want us to pau $15 for the privilege.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
No it's not! It's McSh*t! And any of it's employees that fully support this policy are McSh*t-eaters!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No it's not! It's McSh*t! And any of it's employees that fully support this policy are McSh*t-eaters!

Derek
So what about the authors or organizations (like SFWA) that support it?

Old 02-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So what about the authors or organizations (like SFWA) that support it?

You can fool some of the peepul some of the time... It's too early to tell if RWA, SFWA and the like fall into the 'all of the time' category.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote