Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #166
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Huh. Impressive. See, my brain actually gives up. There's something about running left and right in harness for 8 hours that turns the whole thing kinda squidgy. Then I watch something like Wayne's World and laugh my head off. Sad, I know
There's nothing wrong with letting your brain "veg-out" with silliness! I loved Wayne's World! When I'm choosing a movie to watch, I want something that helps me escape, so I generally choose Action, Comedy or Romantic Comedies. In other words nothing "heavy". My life has enough "heaviness" of it's own and can do without adding someone else's. That's the same theory I apply when choosing reading material for my leisure time. That's not to say that that's the only reading I do, but it IS the type of reading I like to do the most!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #167
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't mind watching something "heavy" to relax, at all. Solaris... Minority Report... Blade Runner... Ghost in the Shell...

Then again, I might just put on The Incredibles. Louurvve it when Dash realizes he can run on water...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #168
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I don't mind watching something "heavy" to relax, at all. Solaris... Minority Report... Blade Runner... Ghost in the Shell...

Then again, I might just put on The Incredibles. Louurvve it when Dash realizes he can run on water...
Isn't that a wonderful movie!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #169
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have read different things during different times in my life. College - romance novels. Early career - mystery novels. Middle career - political commentary, social commentary. Later career (now) - back to romance novels.

Actually, I think I am better off sticking to lighter reading. The social commentary was getting me all riled up; I cancelled my newspaper because I didn't like their coverage of the Chicago Heat Wave that killed 900 people, I stopped shopping at Walmart after reading Nickled and Dimed, etc. I still have pretty strident political views, but at least I am not reading something that gets me mad all the time. I stock piled a lot of books when I was in my mystery phase - I keep hoping I will go back to that genre. But since it is pbooks, and I LOVE ebooks now, that is probably too much to hope.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #170
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:

Secret pleasure around here is Ratatoullie.... nobody here is under 48...but let that be a secret between just us around here.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #171
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
There's nothing wrong with letting your brain "veg-out" with silliness! I loved Wayne's World! When I'm choosing a movie to watch, I want something that helps me escape, so I generally choose Action, Comedy or Romantic Comedies. In other words nothing "heavy". My life has enough "heaviness" of it's own and can do without adding someone else's. That's the same theory I apply when choosing reading material for my leisure time. That's not to say that that's the only reading I do, but it IS the type of reading I like to do the most!
Uh-huh. Hearing ya, sister. I'm a big fan of comedies too. Not so much the romantic comedies, as - sadly - I rarely find them funny. American romantic comedies, anyhow. Too much sugar makes the teeth ache, metaphorically speaking :P
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #172
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Uh-huh. Hearing ya, sister. I'm a big fan of comedies too. Not so much the romantic comedies, as - sadly - I rarely find them funny. American romantic comedies, anyhow. Too much sugar makes the teeth ache, metaphorically speaking :P
99%....I agree...except for "I Love You to Death" worth every single wasted heartbeat...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #173
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Movies for me is one thing, and one thing only, 1,5 to 2 hours of braindead entertainment! And thats all, no matter what label they slap on it. I watch them to be entertained for a while, not to think. I do enough thinking during my 8 hours at work thank you very much!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 AM   #174
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Movies for me is one thing, and one thing only, 1,5 to 2 hours of braindead entertainment! And thats all, no matter what label they slap on it. I watch them to be entertained for a while, not to think. I do enough thinking during my 8 hours at work thank you very much!
Love your avatar of your "puppies"....one of my fav breeds (Bernese Mountain Dog
, yes?). Harder to find here in the US, but boy are they fun...

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-24-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #175
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Love your avatar of your "puppies"....one of my fav breeds (Bernese Mountain Dog
, yes?). Harder to find here in the US, but boy are they fun...
Yes, they are Bernese Mountain Dogs, and not a very numerous breed here in sweden either. I think they are on like 20th place over most popular breeds.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 AM   #176
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #177
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I don't remember the author (Jane Yolen? Patricia Wrede? someone else?) who when asked how she changed her writing for her children's books stated, "I don't write 'down' for children." (or words to that effect)
In this day of Internet usage, we don't so much need more readers as we need more critical thinkers.

But that's just my opinion. Your milage may vary.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #178
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
(By the way what makes a writer a professional? I assumed Stephenie Myers was a professional writer since she gets paid,and paid very well.)
A question for a whole 'nother thread, I think...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #179
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
(By the way what makes a writer a professional? I assumed Stephenie Myers was a professional writer since she gets paid,and paid very well.)
Quote:
A question for a whole 'nother thread, I think...
I'd say that anyone who is able to make a living solely off of their writing (even if it's a fairly meager one) is doing it professionally. That's to say, writing is their profession.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #180
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I don't remember the author (Jane Yolen? Patricia Wrede? someone else?) who when asked how she changed her writing for her children's books stated, "I don't write 'down' for children." (or words to that effect)
In this day of Internet usage, we don't so much need more readers as we need more critical thinkers.

But that's just my opinion. Your milage may vary.
I hadn't mentioned children's books, although a lot of my reading encompasses them since I am an elementary teacher (although currently unemployed by choice). Children's books are wonderful reads at any level, especially if you get to share them with a child, which is what really needs to be done if you want to create critical thinkers. We DO need more readers, though. The number of illiterate people especially here in the US is staggering. To take those readers,then, and make them critical thinkers is relatively easy. You have a discussion about the reading material. To be honest, that's the best part of teaching young children. Getting there take on a topic or a book can be funny, sad, shocking, insightful, . . ., the list goes on and on.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote