Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
proee
proee began at the beginning.

Device: treo
BIBLE for Sony Reader

Ok, I couldn't resist. I ordered a Sony Reader today on Sony's website. One thing I've though would be great is to use the Sony Reader in place of my traditional BIBLE that I bring to church on Sunday. Problem is, I did a search on Sony Connect to see if they offer a Bible that is formatted nicely for the reader. But nothing came up that look like the good old BIBLE? Interesting since the BIBLE is still the best selling book to date. Does anyone know of a nice BIBLE or the Sony Reader that would support some sort of navigation scheme between different books and chapters in the BIBLE? Best Regards to all!
proee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
i second that it would be fantastic to have an easy to use bible for our readers. hopefully sony will drop something soon.

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

While I'm not terribly interested in a portable bible, I bet being able to SEARCH it for passages or vaguely-remembered quotes would be really handy *hint hint Sony*
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think there may be a navigation problem... it probably wouldn't be easy to jump to different scriptures, e.g. during a church service. And very few people read a Bible cover to cover like a novel. I agree, though, that it would be really great if it could work.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been meaning to contact www.OliveTree.com to see if they might be thinking of doing a Reader Bible, but I haven't done it yet....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
There's not one on Gutenberg? That would be suprising, considering the origin use of his press.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
There are several translations in a number of languages on Gutenberg. I think at least soem are available at manybooks.net formatted for Sony's reader.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I downloaded one of those, but it's so huge that I can't find anything in it.

I even tried adding links to the books and chapters ... well let's just say that navigating that list was a bit cumbersome too.

I'm hoping that someone can create a self-contained executable (like the www.OliveTree.com Bibles for Palms) that will run on the Reader's Linux OS.

For now, I've got a collection of each of the books, and I'm adjusting font, size, etc. As Bob said, it's fine for reading, but too unweildy for use during sermons/classes and such.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
how about multiple languages side-by-side?

hi

a personal preference would be to have two languages side-by-side.
The original and a translation.
"Bible" for me means the Torah, so I'd like to see it in Hebrew and an English translation.
Plus I'd like to see hyperlinked explanations at the page footer that I can jump to with the little joystick. (SONY called it the 5 way cursor or sg like that...)

re: reading it end-to-end like a novel
even though I'm not a religious man, reading the Torah with explanations [edited by the chief Rabbie of England] was _the best_ reading experience of my life. I'd suggest it for everyone especially to Jews.

regards,

Sic.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I think there may be a navigation problem... it probably wouldn't be easy to jump to different scriptures, e.g. during a church service. And very few people read a Bible cover to cover like a novel. I agree, though, that it would be really great if it could work.
On the other side, the scriptures are pre-scheduled, so it should be possible to do an aplication automagically selecting the scriptures for this day, in the way that UNIX is able to change dates for summer time.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Hmm we atheist should think something.... Lucretius "De Rerum Natura"?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Arivero, That's an awesome idea. One of the "once a day" daily Bible readings books or devotionals would be great on it! (If it's NIV/NKJV or another popular translation, anyway.) There is at least one a Bible out there organized for a daily reading which excerpts daily readings to do good coverage of the Bible in just a few minutes a day, and there are also full Bibles arranged into daily readings, e.g. with some reading from Ps, OT, NT for each day matching one of the reading plans. What a great thing that would be on the Reader's e-ink screen!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
On the other side, the scriptures are pre-scheduled, so it should be possible to do an aplication automagically selecting the scriptures for this day....
Mine aren't, I don't think I've encountered such a thing, aside from those "Read the Bible in One Year" study courses, but you can start those any time....

Or does everybody else know something that I'm missing?

EDIT:
Ah, if that's what you meant, arivero (what Bob said), then I'm with you now.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-27-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #14
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

my thoughts so far are this. Have a group called BIBLE, with the individual books as separate files inside.

Hrmm....thats it so far actually. Nothing too special. Hopefully we can get some BBeB tools soon that will let us create interactive indexes. Then each book of the bible could have a link to a certain grouping of chapters/verses...

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

I left a message on the OliveTree.com site, um, Friday I think, and got a reply from them this morning. Nothing particularly substantial: thanks for my suggestion and they passed it along to their developers.