Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Got 2 Kindle 2s! :-)

Just got my Kindles in for the wife and me. She's in love, and I'm in love. Definitely what the original Kindle should have been, especially since it's now very much in line with the Sony PRS-500/505 line.

I do notice some screen variation between both the Kindles, with "mine" being slightly darker. Also, some sporadic black specks on the screens, sort of like teeny ink smudges, - not really dead/stuck pixels. You only really notice if you look REALLY closely, but still interesting...

The official Kindle cases are great, and light years ahead of the crap that shipped with Kindle 1.

The page turn speed is VERY noticeably faster than the Kindle 1. Definitely enjoying these new puppies!

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'd be happy to answer.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Wow, congratulations! But I do hope you're wrong about the K1 being "crap" as I just ordered a used one. ;-)

Question: if you have 2 Kindles can you share content, or do you each have to buy your own stuff for each device?
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
if you registered both Kindle to your same amazon account, you will be download those content from both devices inside Content Manager (if you are using K1). If you are using K2, you go to "Archived Items" to download your purchased content again.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
if you registered both Kindle to your same amazon account, you will be download those content from both devices inside Content Manager (if you are using K1). If you are using K2, you go to "Archived Items" to download your purchased content again.
Exactly right. That last part was kind of a nuisance, since you can't "tag" a group of books and group download. You have to highlight the book, hit right on the joystick, and then push it in to download it. And you have to do that for every book, it seems.

Unless someone has found a faster way. Not too much of a big deal, since there was only around 40 books I wanted to transfer, but still....
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Wow, congratulations! But I do hope you're wrong about the K1 being "crap" as I just ordered a used one. ;-)

Question: if you have 2 Kindles can you share content, or do you each have to buy your own stuff for each device?
I think he was talking about the cases not the device itself...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
Yes, I believe so. The K1 supplied case is crap (in my experience, though it seems to work acceptably for some folks).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
I just recieved my kindle 2 too!!!

(didnt want to flood the board with I got my kindle 2 too posts lol)
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Unless someone has found a faster way. Not too much of a big deal, since there was only around 40 books I wanted to transfer, but still....
interesting... in the kinde1 you can go to the content manager, mark/check 1 or more books, then from the menu choose "Move to Kindle".

Is that not possible in the K2 Content Manager?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
K2 does not have the Content Manager. It's all done through Archived Items or via the Amazon website. (Or via USB from your computer.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
lizzybeth05
lizzybeth05 began at the beginning.

Device: none
WilliamG:

Have you tried using IgorsK's programs to add secured mobi books to the Kindle2?

I'm just curiouse if they will still work with the Kindle2.

Thanks in advance
lizzybeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
From the amazon website, you can re-push old books down to the new kindle. I think it's still one at a time, but that might be faster than on the Kindle screen itself.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiationman View Post
You're right; sorry, I'm not usually as dumb as I look.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I haven't seen this anywhere else yet, so I thought I would ask: Are the screensavers the same? If not, what are they?
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote