Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure if this problem belongs to MR, Kovid Goyal or me. If I click the word 'Calibre' at the start of the Calibre Forum description I get security related errors (see attachment). As well as getting it in Firefox, I get it in Chrome, Edge, Qupzilla and IE.

I clicked on it inadvertently, so it might not be a new thing. Although I think my mouse has clicked just under the forum name before and I landed at ==>> http://calibre-ebook.com

Similar links for Calibre Companion and Sigil are fine.

Added - IMO putting links behind plain text is poor UI design, they should be differentiated. In this instance a link at the end of the text would be preferable - eg Calibre Home Page.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	154084  

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I clicked on it inadvertently, so it might not be a new thing. Although I think my mouse has clicked just under the forum name before and I landed at ==>> http://calibre-ebook.com
Well, first, thanks for pointing out the link - it was quite outdated and I replaced it with the current Calibre homepage URL.

Just a guess since I didn't get this error when following the old link... is it possible that you are using some kind of security software like Avast, Kaspersky, or BitDefender? These like to intercept connections and downgrade HTTPS connections into HTTP (so that they can scan the traffic). Many sites, including ours, don't allow a protocol downgrade for security purposes (the mechanism we use is referred to as HSTS). Security vendors usually offer root certificates to be installed locally to get around such mechanisms so you can still use them to scan traffic.

Read further below.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually a more likely scenario is:

The old link used to be http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/. Today when you clicked on that link it should have redirected you to http://calibre-ebook.com. The issue is that calibre.kovidgoyal.net is a subdomain of kovidgoyal.net. https://kovidgoyal.net exists and uses headers to tell your browser that it must follow only HTTPS connection of its domain and subdomains:

Code:
$ curl -svo /dev/null https://kovidgoyal.net/
*   Trying 166.78.104.224...
* Connected to kovidgoyal.net (166.78.104.224) port 443 (#0)
* found 173 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
* found 697 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* SSL connection using TLS1.2 / ECDHE_RSA_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
* 	 server certificate verification OK
* 	 server certificate status verification SKIPPED
* 	 common name: kovidgoyal.net (matched)
* 	 server certificate expiration date OK
* 	 server certificate activation date OK
* 	 certificate public key: RSA
* 	 certificate version: #3
* 	 subject: CN=kovidgoyal.net
* 	 start date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 06:45:00 GMT
* 	 expire date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 06:45:00 GMT
* 	 issuer: C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
* 	 compression: NULL
* ALPN, server accepted to use http/1.1
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: kovidgoyal.net
> User-Agent: curl/7.47.0
> Accept: */*
> 
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:12:23 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 2456
< Last-Modified: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:34:10 GMT
< Connection: keep-alive
< ETag: "57bf8072-998"
< Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=10886400; includeSubdomains
< Accept-Ranges: bytes
< 
{ [2456 bytes data]
* Connection #0 to host kovidgoyal.net left intact
See the Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=10886400; includeSubdomains header.

Because there is no HTTPS version of the old link (try: https://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/) you get the error you're seeing.

Anyways... thanks again, replacing the link fixed the issue.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Interesting. Yeah, it's definitely related. For security reasons, we now proxy external images in posts (via https://usercontent.mobileread.org). This way we can protect your privacy by preventing browser information to be leaked to third-parties that may be snooping information (and do other nasty stuff like "cookie stuffing" or IP logging).

I'll investigate why the proxy won't load these particular images.

Fixed. Proxy didn't like HTML entities in URLs...
So, you can see the graphs now? I still don't see them.

These are generated from Google Docs using the "Publish Chart" as "image", I believe it publishes them as .PNG files. They do update automatically though, which is why I have used them, so that might be a problem with a proxy/cache.

I will leave them there for now (at least until you are done testing). If they don't work, they don't work. Not a big deal, just something I have done for my own amusement. I could easily update them manually as fixed images a couple times a year instead.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Actually a more likely scenario is:

Spoiler:
The old link used to be http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/. Today when you clicked on that link it should have redirected you to http://calibre-ebook.com. The issue is that calibre.kovidgoyal.net is a subdomain of kovidgoyal.net. https://kovidgoyal.net exists and uses headers to tell your browser that it must follow only HTTPS connection of its domain and subdomains:

Code:
$ curl -svo /dev/null https://kovidgoyal.net/
*   Trying 166.78.104.224...
* Connected to kovidgoyal.net (166.78.104.224) port 443 (#0)
* found 173 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
* found 697 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* SSL connection using TLS1.2 / ECDHE_RSA_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
* 	 server certificate verification OK
* 	 server certificate status verification SKIPPED
* 	 common name: kovidgoyal.net (matched)
* 	 server certificate expiration date OK
* 	 server certificate activation date OK
* 	 certificate public key: RSA
* 	 certificate version: #3
* 	 subject: CN=kovidgoyal.net
* 	 start date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 06:45:00 GMT
* 	 expire date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 06:45:00 GMT
* 	 issuer: C=US,O=Let's Encrypt,CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
* 	 compression: NULL
* ALPN, server accepted to use http/1.1
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: kovidgoyal.net
> User-Agent: curl/7.47.0
> Accept: */*
> 
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 21:12:23 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 2456
< Last-Modified: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:34:10 GMT
< Connection: keep-alive
< ETag: "57bf8072-998"
< Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=10886400; includeSubdomains
< Accept-Ranges: bytes
< 
{ [2456 bytes data]
* Connection #0 to host kovidgoyal.net left intact
See the Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=10886400; includeSubdomains header.

Because there is no HTTPS version of the old link (try: https://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/) you get the error you're seeing.

Anyways... thanks again, replacing the link fixed the issue.
Indeed it did.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
So, you can see the graphs now? I still don't see them.
Generally the problem with these spreadsheet links is that Google occasionally times out loading them or just slows down a lot. When it's too slow (the proxy client has a timeout value of 3s - we could set that to a higher number but that could lead to other negative side effects), the proxy considers the connection to have timed out until the next time you try loading it. Try this. Go to

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...78&postcount=9

And click on reload while holding your CTRL/STRG button. This will force reloading the images from the origin instead of loading from the browser cache. In other words, these specific images work and occassionally don't when the response from Google is too slow. My guess is that Google recalculates these graphs based on your spreadsheet every you load the image and that they only briefly cache them before recalcuating them. I can imagine this to be quite a hit on their servers. Is there a way to generate those images statically and only refresh them when new data is entered in the spredsheet?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #22
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Generally the problem with these spreadsheet links is that Google occasionally times out loading them or just slows down a lot. When it's too slow (the proxy client has a timeout value of 3s - we could set that to a higher number but that could lead to other negative side effects), the proxy considers the connection to have timed out until the next time you try loading it. Try this. Go to

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...78&postcount=9

And click on reload while holding your CTRL/STRG button. This will force reloading the images from the origin instead of loading from the browser cache. In other words, these specific images work and occassionally don't when the response from Google is too slow. My guess is that Google recalculates these graphs based on your spreadsheet every you load the image and that they only briefly cache them before recalcuating them. I can imagine this to be quite a hit on their servers. Is there a way to generate those images statically and only refresh them when new data is entered in the spredsheet?
Thank you! I had tried force-reloading the images but that didn't work for me yesterday, even when using multiple browsers that didn't have a local cached image.

I will check on getting a static image or I may just drop them entirely if they don't work reliably. When they first rolled out the feature it behaved similar to this but had been reliable for the last year plus.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Thank you! I had tried force-reloading the images but that didn't work for me yesterday, even when using multiple browsers that didn't have a local cached image.
Did you try to refresh before or after posting in this thread? Because initially there was indeed a bug where the proxy received the image URL with escaped HTML characters which wasn't supposed to be. The other issue with the image not always showing is related to the irregular reponse time from Google.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Did you try to refresh before or after posting in this thread? Because initially there was indeed a bug where the proxy received the image URL with escaped HTML characters which wasn't supposed to be. The other issue with the image not always showing is related to the irregular reponse time from Google.
I tried two browsers and refreshing both before and after when it still wasn't working for me.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
I tried two browsers and refreshing both before and after when it still wasn't working for me.
Working fine here... Did you try a few times? It seems like the first time one requests the image from Google, they will create it from the spreadsheet. Once it's created, it should load quickly for as long as they have it cached. After that the same thing... first request will timeout, eventually the request will work when the image is created, and so on.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Loading Dazrin's post images is kind of hit or miss on my machines, but refreshing while holding the crtl key always brings up the images for me.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #27
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Good to see https working successfully - good job well done all round .

Don't envy your workload to change to xenforo though will be interested to see it go through
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote